The Story of Ann and - manga

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2003
      I had a chance to get to the used manga store again this week and found a
      wonderful series from 2000 - Soshite Fune ha Iku (And the boat goes) an
      amusingly fictious adventure manga about female pirates Ann Bonney and Mary
      Reed. Think "Dirty Pair" on the water.

      This is so much like Dirty Pair, in fact that I think I might just have to

      Ann and Mary are not shown as a couple, per se, but it's easy enough to see
      them as one. They live together, fight together, sleeping all snuggly with
      one another. Ann is sexpot femme-y, tending towards leather bustier and
      fetish boots, and Mary is martial arts swordswoman butchy and
      hypercompetent. There are plenty of men in the series, but Ann and Mary
      aren't sleeping with any, even if they are willing to use sex appeal to get
      what they want.

      They are very comfy with each other - Ann lets Mary save her a few
      times...and I mean "lets" in a classic sense. She waits patiently for her
      hero to come and then adds in a few shots of her own.

      This series is never going to resolve into a relationship between them, but
      it's goofy fun and plenty of chicks with weapons, so I like it. LOL

      For the record, the historical Ann and Mary were rumored to have had an
      on-again, off-again relationship.

      And the last page of this volume has a kick-ass drawing of Ann and Mary in
      suits, ties and dark glasses. The picture is titled "Reservoir Bitches." LOL