Writing fanfic was Re: [Yuricon] More Shonomen Yuri

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2 6:30 PM
      >From: "Sean Gaffney" <sean@...>
      >

      >I once got into a discussion with Nick Leifker, another fic writer,
      >regarding how much of oneself needs to be put in a story. Nick
      >invests almost everything he is into every story - they're almost
      >emotional experiences writing them. Whereas I am very removed from
      >anything I write, and despite the large amounts of angst and tears in
      >my fics, am always thinking things like "what if I had him step into
      >the remains of her head accidentally?" and things like that.

      I got emtionally invested in one story, once. Took some pills and that went
      away. LOL It wasn't the story itself that wrung me out, it was the writing
      of it. I wasn't able to see what I was writing clearly by the end.

      Since I write what I want to read, I will frequently react to the stuff I'm
      writing, but I can't say I'm invested in it. (For instance, when I wrote the
      bit of SnB where Yuriko finds out about her parents, I was crying as I
      wrote...but no part of myself was in that scene. I was just reading it, as
      it came out.)

      >Certainly, looking over the body of work I've written, if people
      >thought they were my views I'm amazed they don't put a bullet in my
      >head. ^^;;

      LOL One of the FR recently mentioned that she received an email from a
      psychologist expressing concern over issues she had written into a story.
      Well, duh... they weren't her issues, they were the characters.

      But I've gotten email from people thinking that something in a story of mine
      reflected something about me. They are always wrong. :-)

      >Regarding gender issues and yuri, what do people think about the
      >preponderance of nicknames/psuedonyms?

      You have a few hours? Let me rant about this. LOL

      >I've always written my fics
      >as Sean Gaffney, so really haven't experienced anyone mistaking me
      >for a woman. (looks at his f/f porn) Not that anyone would anyway.
      >^^;; But is it different for, say, someone who writes as
      >Nekochickie, or Integral's Womb, or something like that?

      I've always felt that if I didn't want my name attached to it, I shouldn't
      put it out on the Internet. I write everything under my real name.

      But as I have said here, I still think it's possible to determine whther the
      author is male or female, old or young, regardless of the name the story is
      under, unless the author is exceptional.

      I will say that in terms of writing, I'm against using nom de plume unless
      there's a damn good reason to.

    • Shannon Stricof
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2 8:26 PM

        About the determining male and female thing, yeah, its pretty easy to tell with most writing, but it isnt always. The thing is, most writers dont spend the time to adapt their writing should they want to disguise their writing, but I think those that try can be successful. It's much more than a nom de plume, that doesn't mean much, but some writers have adapted their writing to take the perspective accurately of the other gender.

        I mean, even Robert Bly, perhaps teh second most masculine writer after Hemingway has gotten behind the perspective of the female poet. But, most people aren't capable of that, I mean, I know I'm not the most convincing person on the planet for either gender, I write very androgynously, but since I have to write mainly research papers and school essays, thats just an unfortunate side effect.

        -Shannon Ami

         Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

        But as I have said here, I still think it's possible to determine whther the
        author is male or female, old or young, regardless of the name the story is
        under, unless the author is exceptional.

        I will say that in terms of writing, I'm against using nom de plume unless
        there's a damn good reason to.

        Do you Yahoo!?