Re: [Yuricon] More Shonomen Yuri

  • Sean Gaffney
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003
      > Can you indeed? LOL I bet not. I write fiction. 100% so. And my particular
      > millieu is "Voice" - my characters rarely, if ever, sound like me...or think
      > like me.
      >
      > You'd be hard pressed to determine the things that are important to me frm
      > my fiction. With one exception - lesbian sex. Clearly a priority of mine.
      > LOL

      I once got into a discussion with Nick Leifker, another fic writer,
      regarding how much of oneself needs to be put in a story. Nick
      invests almost everything he is into every story - they're almost
      emotional experiences writing them. Whereas I am very removed from
      anything I write, and despite the large amounts of angst and tears in
      my fics, am always thinking things like "what if I had him step into
      the remains of her head accidentally?" and things like that.

      Certainly, looking over the body of work I've written, if people
      thought they were my views I'm amazed they don't put a bullet in my
      head. ^^;;

      Regarding gender issues and yuri, what do people think about the
      preponderance of nicknames/psuedonyms? I've always written my fics
      as Sean Gaffney, so really haven't experienced anyone mistaking me
      for a woman. (looks at his f/f porn) Not that anyone would anyway.
      ^^;; But is it different for, say, someone who writes as
      Nekochickie, or Integral's Womb, or something like that?

      --SG
    • Shannon Stricof
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003

        Hehe, I thought you were a woman for a long time till I stopped seeing an "a" at the end of Johann. Whoops,

        -Shannon Ami

         Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:

        I get mistaken for female when I'm using my real name, so I guess a
        _deliberately_ feminine-sounding nickname is likely to make people think
        the author is female.

        Used to use Fuuma Monou as my e-mail nickname but I always used my real
        name in the signature.  I use Fuuma on ff.net, where I was accused of being
        a "lesbien" over my St. Tail yuri lemon.

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • what is a dooky <spookydooky@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
          > Regarding gender issues and yuri, what do people think about the
          > preponderance of nicknames/psuedonyms? I've always written my fics
          > as Sean Gaffney, so really haven't experienced anyone mistaking me
          > for a woman. (looks at his f/f porn) Not that anyone would anyway.
          > ^^;; But is it different for, say, someone who writes as
          > Nekochickie, or Integral's Womb, or something like that?

          I've been mistaken for a woman... I think the 'chan' thing does it. I
          included it initially as a diminutive (yeah, I know it's ungrammatical
          to use a suffix in your own name ^_^) I'm starting to drop it now,
          though. One of my fics was reviewed recently, and both of the
          reviewers thought I was female. One of them has known me online for
          three years! They were full of apologies after I told them I was male,
          but I took the whole thing as a compliment. After all, I write mostly
          female characters, and a significant number of shoujo-ai
          relationships, so if somebody can still think I'm female after reading
          my stuff then I must be doing something right. Erica's correct- you
          can usually tell the gender of the writer (at least in fanfiction
          ^_^), and this is something I've worked hard to overcome. Not that
          there's anything wrong with being, or even sounding male, it's just
          that I'd much rather have a neutral voice. I make no secret of my
          gender, but I just don't want it to be a huge determining factor on my
          work.

          As per the alias thing... as you can probably guess, dooky is not my
          real name ^_^ I suppose I use an alias because in my everyday life,
          I'm not a writer or artist. I'm a scientist, and these interests are
          pretty separate by definition. George Hutcheon is the scientist, and
          dooky is the writer/artist. This may well be indicative of some major
          psychological condition, but it works for me ^_~

          dooky
        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
              At 08:20 PM 02/02/2003 -0800, Shannon Stricof wrote:
              > Hehe, I thought you were a woman for a long time till I stopped seeing
              >an "a" at the end of Johann. Whoops,

              Probably "helps" that I mostly keep my ecchiness offline. ^_^ My name
              without an H would be JoAnn. Hmm. Though if I really wanted to stop the
              gender-confusion, I'd be using my second name, Conrad, as well, but that
              would take up too much header space.

              There was a Johanna Chua (no relation) in my sister's graduating class in
              high school.

              At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
            • Trixterpriest@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                > You'd be hard pressed to determine the things that are important to me frm
                > my fiction. With one exception - lesbian sex. Clearly a
                > priority of mine.

                And I have to say, a damn good one ;p

                Kun
                ----'-,-{@

                *does a little lesbian sex dance*
              • cricharddavies <cricharddavies@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <cjchua@m...> wrote:

                  > Probably "helps" that I mostly keep my ecchiness offline. ^_^ My
                  name
                  > without an H would be JoAnn. Hmm. Though if I really wanted to
                  stop the
                  > gender-confusion, I'd be using my second name, Conrad, as well, but
                  that
                  > would take up too much header space.

                  You could go by J. Conrad Chua.

                  C. Richard Davies.
                • Eleanor Stevens
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                    --- Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:

                    > At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
                    > --

                    *Sweatdrops* Sorry Johann my mother is errr she's my
                    Mom -.-** there's no other way to describe her. The
                    ironic thing is the guy we got the money order from is
                    named Johann too. I was verrrrrrry disappointed in her.

                    =====
                    ~Tita

                    "It's Showtime!"-Tita (Plastic Little the Adventures of Captain Tita)

                    http://www.mindmeld.iwarp.com

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • Johann Chua
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003
                      At 06:26 PM 02/03/2003 -0800, Eleanor Stevens wrote:

                      >--- Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
                      >> --
                      >
                      >*Sweatdrops* Sorry Johann my mother is errr she's my
                      >Mom -.-** there's no other way to describe her. The
                      >ironic thing is the guy we got the money order from is
                      >named Johann too. I was verrrrrrry disappointed in her.

                      The universe does have a sense of humor.

                      "Joanne" was on the Shoujo ML; your mom wrote "Joann" on the money order.
                    • Shannon Stricof
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003

                        "Remember even God has a sense of humor, look at the platypus" (The Dogma opening credits).

                        -Shannon Ami, just cuz I felt the need to add in my 2 bits