Re: [Yuricon] More Shonomen Yuri

  • Eleanor Stevens
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003
      --- Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

      > You can if you judge not by the sex (although
      > frankly, that's usually a dead
      > giveaway, but by the language surrounding the
      > sex...and the context for that
      > sex...or lack thereof.
      > But age/experience/maturity/use of language can't
      > lie. I don't care if you
      > *say* you're a 35 year old male...your language and
      > worldview will almost
      > alwasy give away whther you actually are, or not.

      I have to concur with Erica on this one. It's true how
      you write and the way you write it pretty much gives
      you a full bio on who you are. People can tell from
      reading my stuff that I like comedy. A lot of comedy.

      On the other hand, you can tell many about Erica's
      views on life and love in general by how she writes.
      Much different from something I would write which
      would be filled with fluff and lust. Lots of lust.

      > I agree with that. However, my level of "good" is
      more
      > like Yan Martel, Banana
      > Yoshimoto, Umberto Eco...most fanfic falls so short
      > of that that I find
      > little to none to be "good."

      Well it is a 50/50-chance think. I do not think of fan
      fictions as great literary works. I love em cause they
      are a fan interpretation and fun to read. Therefore, I
      am not putting them on par with professionals like
      Andre Norton and Charles De lint. So I would not kick
      back and read "Purgatory"~ By Krys Bear and compare it
      to Faust. Or even compare it to something Naoko
      herself would spit out. Fanfic's to me are fun reads
      like comic's etc. So yeah in that respect fanfics
      aren't all that hot as a general rule but eggh like I
      said they aren't the next great American novel their
      fun things fan's do. In addition, I likes em like that.

      =====
      ~Tita

      "It's Showtime!"-Tita (Plastic Little the Adventures of Captain Tita)

      http://www.mindmeld.iwarp.com

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Hypatia Kosh <athena_sappho@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Jared Plotkin" <cow10001@m...> wrote:
        > Secondly, when a male writes Yuri sex, he is writing something he
        will NEVER experience. So in other words, all of his ideas were taken
        from other stoies or porn, written or preformed by, yes you guessed
        it, lesbians.

        Maybe so (a lot of women in the sex industry *are* lesbians) but
        there's a world of difference between "lesbian" porn intended for
        straight male consumption and lesbian by/for lesbian porn.

        > So in other words, when a guy writes Yuri or a girl writes it, gay
        or straight it really isn't that different because everbody is copying
        the real gay girls in the first place. I challenge ANYONE to be able
        to deciper gender soley on a story. It cant be done. Guys and girls
        dont write it that different.

        I disagree. In slash fandom there are a few men who have immersed
        themselves in the lesbian subculture and can write convincingly from a
        gay or bi girl's POV. Most men, however, do not bother.

        It's common, at least in the yuri I've read, not to really address the
        homosexual issue and just say "love is love and sex is sex." I don't
        necessarily have a problem with this. However, I can often tell a male
        writer by the emotional falseness (and often rather ridiculous sex
        scenes).

        > In responce to people saying certain stories have sex and only sex,
        yes that is true. But i know many lesbians who write like that, and
        many straight guys who dont. So you cant use that to judge.

        Sure, we women (er, "we"--well, I'm a bio woman so I'm including
        myself for the moment) do write stories that are just sex, or
        anonymous sex, or whatever.

        The difference between men's and women's writing is more subtle. For
        example, I read a story by a guy where this woman went on a bit of a
        sexual adventure and had sex with about 3 different women. The jarring
        moments came at the end of the story. Not only were the women's
        reactions to their "new found sexuality" just *strange* but the
        protagonist seemed to experience no emotional difference in having sex
        with her close friend, versus total strangers. Huh? And I repeat:
        huh??? I don't think so!

        > And this is the INTERNET for crying out loud. I bet 1/3 of the
        people you talk to lie about their gender, anyway!

        Of course they do. Doesn't mean there aren't women who write really
        ridiculous m/m and men who write really ridiculous f/f.

        > Lastly, i dont "prefer" stories written by guys or girls. If you can
        write good, then i like it. Simple as that.

        Good writing transcends the identity and gender of the writer. The
        best fiction will not scream "straight woman wrote this!" or "jerky
        guy wrote this!"

        -Hypatia
      • Eltink, Royi
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003
          > First of all, it has come to my attention that somebody said
          > that the general populace thinks that feminine males are sexy.
          > I wouldn't know (I am not attracted to guys) but i serioulsly
          > doubt it. Sure, feminine guys from boy bands and stuff might
          > get attention, but mostly from 13 year old girls who are
          > afriad of sex. Guys that appeal to older girls often try to
          > be as manly as possilbe. So i dont think this is true.
          >
          > Secondly, when a male writes Yuri sex, he is writing
          > something he will NEVER experience. So in other words, all of
          > his ideas were taken from other stoies or porn, written or
          > preformed by, yes you guessed it, lesbians.

          ...Suddenly there comes this 14-year old yaoi fangal to mind who asks me if I would 'check' the fanfic she wrote... 0_0

          Ro'
        • Hypatia Kosh <athena_sappho@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" wrote:
            > Oh, yes they do. It's more about the story around the sex, but I bet
            I can
            > tell gender 9 times out of ten, regardless of the genre. Women in
            general
            > write differently, period. They focus on different things than guys do.
            >

            > You can if you judge not by the sex (although frankly, that's
            usually a dead
            > giveaway, but by the language surrounding the sex...and the context
            for that
            > sex...or lack thereof.
            >

            > But age/experience/maturity/use of language can't lie. I don't care
            if you
            > *say* you're a 35 year old male...your language and worldview will
            almost
            > alwasy give away whther you actually are, or not.

            If I may add to this, I think fiction is inherently self-revelatory,
            whether the author realizes this or not.

            You are absolutely correct about the kind of language used. I much
            prefer it when the writer is able to affect a more "androgynous"
            writing style, rather than choking me with flowery euphemisms or
            attacking me with boot-to-the-head exposition.

            I'm not very good at judging the age of writers (being young myself!)
            but I can tell a kid a mile away. Hey--I was there not too long ago!
            Kids always think they're passing for older too--it's so funny.

            -Hypatia

            --
            http://hypatia.slashcity.org/

            "It's always nice to have an even mix of
            hot gay sex and actual information."

            --Captain Pedantic 12-14-01
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003
              >From: Eleanor Stevens <captaintita@...>

              >On the other hand, you can tell many about Erica's
              >views on life and love in general by how she writes.

              Can you indeed? LOL I bet not. I write fiction. 100% so. And my particular
              millieu is "Voice" - my characters rarely, if ever, sound like me...or think
              like me.

              You'd be hard pressed to determine the things that are important to me frm
              my fiction. With one exception - lesbian sex. Clearly a priority of mine.
              LOL

            • Sean Gaffney
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003
                > Can you indeed? LOL I bet not. I write fiction. 100% so. And my particular
                > millieu is "Voice" - my characters rarely, if ever, sound like me...or think
                > like me.
                >
                > You'd be hard pressed to determine the things that are important to me frm
                > my fiction. With one exception - lesbian sex. Clearly a priority of mine.
                > LOL

                I once got into a discussion with Nick Leifker, another fic writer,
                regarding how much of oneself needs to be put in a story. Nick
                invests almost everything he is into every story - they're almost
                emotional experiences writing them. Whereas I am very removed from
                anything I write, and despite the large amounts of angst and tears in
                my fics, am always thinking things like "what if I had him step into
                the remains of her head accidentally?" and things like that.

                Certainly, looking over the body of work I've written, if people
                thought they were my views I'm amazed they don't put a bullet in my
                head. ^^;;

                Regarding gender issues and yuri, what do people think about the
                preponderance of nicknames/psuedonyms? I've always written my fics
                as Sean Gaffney, so really haven't experienced anyone mistaking me
                for a woman. (looks at his f/f porn) Not that anyone would anyway.
                ^^;; But is it different for, say, someone who writes as
                Nekochickie, or Integral's Womb, or something like that?

                --SG
              • Shannon Stricof
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 2003

                  Hehe, I thought you were a woman for a long time till I stopped seeing an "a" at the end of Johann. Whoops,

                  -Shannon Ami

                   Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:

                  I get mistaken for female when I'm using my real name, so I guess a
                  _deliberately_ feminine-sounding nickname is likely to make people think
                  the author is female.

                  Used to use Fuuma Monou as my e-mail nickname but I always used my real
                  name in the signature.  I use Fuuma on ff.net, where I was accused of being
                  a "lesbien" over my St. Tail yuri lemon.

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • what is a dooky <spookydooky@hotmail.com>
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                    > Regarding gender issues and yuri, what do people think about the
                    > preponderance of nicknames/psuedonyms? I've always written my fics
                    > as Sean Gaffney, so really haven't experienced anyone mistaking me
                    > for a woman. (looks at his f/f porn) Not that anyone would anyway.
                    > ^^;; But is it different for, say, someone who writes as
                    > Nekochickie, or Integral's Womb, or something like that?

                    I've been mistaken for a woman... I think the 'chan' thing does it. I
                    included it initially as a diminutive (yeah, I know it's ungrammatical
                    to use a suffix in your own name ^_^) I'm starting to drop it now,
                    though. One of my fics was reviewed recently, and both of the
                    reviewers thought I was female. One of them has known me online for
                    three years! They were full of apologies after I told them I was male,
                    but I took the whole thing as a compliment. After all, I write mostly
                    female characters, and a significant number of shoujo-ai
                    relationships, so if somebody can still think I'm female after reading
                    my stuff then I must be doing something right. Erica's correct- you
                    can usually tell the gender of the writer (at least in fanfiction
                    ^_^), and this is something I've worked hard to overcome. Not that
                    there's anything wrong with being, or even sounding male, it's just
                    that I'd much rather have a neutral voice. I make no secret of my
                    gender, but I just don't want it to be a huge determining factor on my
                    work.

                    As per the alias thing... as you can probably guess, dooky is not my
                    real name ^_^ I suppose I use an alias because in my everyday life,
                    I'm not a writer or artist. I'm a scientist, and these interests are
                    pretty separate by definition. George Hutcheon is the scientist, and
                    dooky is the writer/artist. This may well be indicative of some major
                    psychological condition, but it works for me ^_~

                    dooky
                  • Johann Chua
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                        At 08:20 PM 02/02/2003 -0800, Shannon Stricof wrote:
                        > Hehe, I thought you were a woman for a long time till I stopped seeing
                        >an "a" at the end of Johann. Whoops,

                        Probably "helps" that I mostly keep my ecchiness offline. ^_^ My name
                        without an H would be JoAnn. Hmm. Though if I really wanted to stop the
                        gender-confusion, I'd be using my second name, Conrad, as well, but that
                        would take up too much header space.

                        There was a Johanna Chua (no relation) in my sister's graduating class in
                        high school.

                        At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
                      • Trixterpriest@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                          > You'd be hard pressed to determine the things that are important to me frm
                          > my fiction. With one exception - lesbian sex. Clearly a
                          > priority of mine.

                          And I have to say, a damn good one ;p

                          Kun
                          ----'-,-{@

                          *does a little lesbian sex dance*
                        • cricharddavies <cricharddavies@yahoo.com>
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <cjchua@m...> wrote:

                            > Probably "helps" that I mostly keep my ecchiness offline. ^_^ My
                            name
                            > without an H would be JoAnn. Hmm. Though if I really wanted to
                            stop the
                            > gender-confusion, I'd be using my second name, Conrad, as well, but
                            that
                            > would take up too much header space.

                            You could go by J. Conrad Chua.

                            C. Richard Davies.
                          • Eleanor Stevens
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                              --- Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:

                              > At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
                              > --

                              *Sweatdrops* Sorry Johann my mother is errr she's my
                              Mom -.-** there's no other way to describe her. The
                              ironic thing is the guy we got the money order from is
                              named Johann too. I was verrrrrrry disappointed in her.

                              =====

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003
                                At 06:26 PM 02/03/2003 -0800, Eleanor Stevens wrote:

                                >--- Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> At least one person reads my name as Joanne.
                                >> --
                                >
                                >*Sweatdrops* Sorry Johann my mother is errr she's my
                                >Mom -.-** there's no other way to describe her. The
                                >ironic thing is the guy we got the money order from is
                                >named Johann too. I was verrrrrrry disappointed in her.

                                The universe does have a sense of humor.

                                "Joanne" was on the Shoujo ML; your mom wrote "Joann" on the money order.
                              • Shannon Stricof
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003

                                  "Remember even God has a sense of humor, look at the platypus" (The Dogma opening credits).

                                  -Shannon Ami, just cuz I felt the need to add in my 2 bits