Love My Life

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003
      I know I sent a review of this manga a while back, but I wanted to
      reiterate, not least ecause this is a Yuricon auction this week (bid early,
      bid often, as Pattie says!) - and you *really* should have this story if you
      like shoujoai/yuri manga

      This is a manga where the girl starts off with the girl, ends up with the
      girl and has the girl the whole way through. The relationship is *never* in
      question.

      Instead, the story is a little slice of life about Ichiko, as she comes out
      to her Dad (and learns some surprising revelations about her parents!)
      watches her gay friend look for a boyfriend, meets an important friend from
      her past and is tempted to stray from her girlfriend.

      I love it mostly because its NOT about coming out or growing up. Thank god.
      It's a manga for a slightly older audience, so the "crisis" level is much
      lower than usual in shoujo yuri. No high drama, just great story-telling.

      "I Love My Life" is a manga for people like me - well past the drama of high
      school and who want to read a manga about an out character where her outness
      is not the enitre point of the story. If you've been looking for a shoujo
      yuri piece that doesn't tease or jerk you around - this is so the manga for
      you.

      The mangaka is an out lesbian, which is pretty rare in Japan...this is
      obviously her reaction to the lack of good manga for lesbians, and it really
      shows in the quality of the story.