Re: [Yuricon] Re: [YCML] More shounen (sexist?) yuri

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2003
      >From: Johann Chua <cjchua@...>

      > >> The "feminization" of male/male relationships. They are completely
      > >> emasculated, and use language normally associated with young women.
      > >
      > >Given who is usually writing said tales, is that last really
      > >surprising?
      >
      >Well, unless they've never been exposed to how guys talk that's no excuse.
      >It seems like a deliberate style choice.

      Agreed.

      >Is it that much of a problem with
      >(presumably) straight male characters written by the same authors?

      I can't asnwer this, since I'm not that aware of authors in the yaoi market,
      and if any are also straight shoujo authors. The only thing I can say is
      that if you lok at the near non-verbal qality of most male shoujo love
      interests, we're talking about a view of men that isn't that flattering...

      Male love interest in shoujo romances spend volumes trying to get a single
      sententnce or even the vaguest expression of like or interest or attraction
      out of their mouths - and usually fail until some crisis forces it out of
      them.

      True story - a penpal from Japan told me that she'd been meeting a male
      friend for a few years, a couple of times a year for dinner. One day he
      says, "so, when are we getting married?" She's like - are we dating?

      She told me that she felt that because he was a shoujo manga fan, he really
      thought it worked like that - you like someone, you don't have to court
      them, because they also like you, obviously, and then you get married. She
      blamed manga and the fact that he didn't have any sisters. LOL

      So maybe the feminization of a yaoi couple is to counter the perceived lack
      of introspection and communication of straight males.

      But as Sato-san said, "that's in my imgaination" and I can't verify it.

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2003
        >From: "cricharddavies <cricharddavies@...>"
        >
        >And there are those who *could* claim that a lot of yuri is
        >the "masculinization" of female/female relationships, or even of
        >female behaviour -- I recall one lesbian mystery I read where the
        >detective got rather irritated that everyone expected her to be
        >thinking with her ... well, anyway.

        I completely agree - Pattie and I were discussing this last night. In much
        yuri two (or more) women meet, and have sex. There's no context, no getting
        to know one another, no anything except sex.

        A gay male friend of mine said that that was basically how he met new
        boyfriends. He'd see someone he found attractive, have sex with them, and
        if, afterwards, he liked the guy, they'd start dating.

        So in that respect, yuri is a "masculine" approach to lesbian relationships.

      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2003
          At 11:52 PM 01/31/2003 -0000, cricharddavies <cricharddavies@...>
          wrote:
          >--- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...>
          >wrote:
          >
          >> The "feminization" of male/male relationships. They are completely
          >> emasculated, and use language normally associated with young women.
          >
          >Given who is usually writing said tales, is that last really
          >surprising?

          Well, unless they've never been exposed to how guys talk that's no excuse.
          It seems like a deliberate style choice. Is it that much of a problem with
          (presumably) straight male characters written by the same authors?
        • Alex Picchetti
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2003
            associated with young women.

            >> >Given who is
            usually writing said tales, is that last really
            >> >surprising?
            >>
            >>Well, unless they've never been exposed
            to how guys talk that's no excuse.
            >>It seems like a deliberate style
            choice.

            >Agreed.

            Does it happen in all yaoi? Or just doujinshi? I don't know a heck of a lot about what sort of idioms (? I think that's the word I want) would be considered "feminine" in Japan, besides the various ways of saying I/me, so I can't recognize these things...

            Then again, there was a study done (here) that suggested that super-feminine women are really sexy - but feminine men are sexier than more macho men, to the general populace. *shrug* So maybe they're just playing off that.

            >>Is it that much of a problem with
            >>(presumably)
            straight male characters written by the same authors?

            >I can't
            asnwer this, since I'm not that aware of authors in the yaoi market,
            >and
            if any are also straight shoujo authors. The only thing I can say is
            >that if you lok at the near non-verbal qality of most male shoujo love
            >interests, we're talking about a view of men that isn't that
            flattering...

            >Male love interest in shoujo romances spend volumes
            trying to get a single
            >sententnce or even the vaguest expression of like
            or interest or attraction
            >out of their mouths - and usually fail until
            some crisis forces it out of
            >them.
            *thinks* You know, that's really true ^^; Specifically right now I'm thinking of Mamoru from BSSM and Takeo from MTT!, because they're the only shoujo series with romance that I can think of o.x (I don't read plain romances, usually). Perhaps this is why shoujo romance series take hundreds of episodes to complete? :P ^^;

            Then again, depending on the age of the people involved, it may not be that off-base, for guys OR girls.

            >True story - a penpal from Japan told me that she'd been meeting a
            male
            >friend for a few years, a couple of times a year for dinner. One
            day he
            >says, "so, when are we getting married?" She's like - are we
            dating?

            >She told me that she felt that because he was a shoujo
            manga fan, he really
            >thought it worked like that - you like someone, you
            don't have to court
            >them, because they  also like you, obviously,
            and then you get married. She
            >blamed manga and the fact that he didn't
            have any sisters. LOL
            *lol* That's pretty funny, though I do find it doubtful that reading shoujo manga would have such a heavy impact. Maybe not... but I still don't think it's likely. (Where are the psychiatrists doing studies on these things? I'm moving to Japan when I graduate ;)

            >So maybe the feminization of a yaoi couple is to counter the
            perceived lack
            >of introspection and communication of straight
            males.
            Turning them instead into wibbling balls of goo! :D

            Though, as with anything, it's a case-by-case thing. I don't recall Zetsuai being particularly wibbly, feminine, or even openly communicative between Kouji and Izumi. *shrug* Maybe it's the only one? ^^;

            -Alex
          • cricharddavies <cricharddavies@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2003
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Johann Chua <cjchua@m...> wrote:

              > >Given who is usually writing said tales, is that last really
              > >surprising?
              >
              > Well, unless they've never been exposed to how guys talk that's no
              > excuse.

              They may have been exposed, but it may have been noise instead of
              signal. If you're deliberately trying not to listen, it doesn't
              matter if you hear.

              > It seems like a deliberate style choice. Is it that much of a
              problem with
              > (presumably) straight male characters written by the same authors?

              <considers the now-thankfully dead "sekkushiaru roman" subgenre of
              Sailor Moon fanfic> Yes.

              Chris Davies.
            • cricharddavies <cricharddavies@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2003
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Picchetti" <nuriseiya@r...>
                wrote:
                > >True story - a penpal from Japan told me that she'd been meeting a
                male
                > >friend for a few years, a couple of times a year for dinner. One
                day he
                > >says, "so, when are we getting married?" She's like - are we
                dating?

                > >She told me that she felt that because he was a shoujo manga fan,
                he really
                > >thought it worked like that - you like someone, you don't have to
                court
                > >them, because they also like you, obviously, and then you get
                married. She
                > >blamed manga and the fact that he didn't have any sisters. LOL
                >
                > *lol* That's pretty funny, though I do find it doubtful that
                > reading shoujo manga would have such a heavy impact.

                Really? Know a lot of people who take their cues on how to act tough
                from pro-wrestling and action movies? Know anyone who seems to sample
                his or her bon mots from sitcoms? Know anyone who pauses for the
                laugh track?

                We all know people who have a soundtrack, but that's more of a "those
                darned portable music machines" problem. :)

                Chris Davies.