Shoujoai in AmiComi (was:This week's yuri catch on TV)

  • stellaluna_42 <stellaluna_42@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 28, 2003
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Immortalone <immortalone@r...> wrote:

      > > > Um, okay ^_^ Stellaluna, what's all this I've been hearing
      about the
      > > > cool shoujoai in current American comics?

      Well, to start off, there was an issue (I forget what #) of Marvel's
      short-lived "Muties" comic entitled "Love, Jisa". It was about a girl
      in Brazil who was saved from her abusive husband by the local tough-
      gal mutant. While definately a RBTL(Read Between The Lines)
      relationship, it was very sweet & my favorite issue.

      The revamped Cat Woman(DC). Very cool & noir in art and tone. Selena
      is now on the side of good, & her roommate/best friend/eye on the
      street Molly is in a stable relationship with *gasp* a waitress.
      I love the look on Selena's sister's (a former nun) nun's face when
      they kissed. Also lots of yuri potential for Selena herself.
      All in all, a great title right now. I highly recommend it.

      Though no real shoujoai or yuri is involved, a really good title is
      Y:the Last Man(DC/Vertigo). It's about a dude & his monkey who are
      literally the last (mammailian) males on Earth. He, & a geneticist
      and a secret agent, are on a mission to discover what killed all the
      men. It features Neo Amazons & a female version of Shaft. Very cool.
      Really, really well written.

      That's all can remember right now. I know there's a couple more, &
      it's gonna bug me until I do remember.

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Immortalone <immortalone@r...> wrote:
      > > (BTW, did anyone see those BLANTANTLY ripped-off-from-Dirty-Pair
      > > characters at Harley Girl's party in the Harley Girl comic of two
      > > years ago? What is up with that? "Oh, it's Japanese (even though
      it
      > > sold well in the US) so we can just RIP OFF the title characters
      and,
      > > er, call it a tribute?" Well, it worked for Disney.)

      Oh god, that issue was tres terrible! Harley Quinn is one of those
      titles that is either really really good or really really sucky,
      depending on who's writing. And, of coure, only worth it when Ivy's
      in there, too. ;)

      STELLALUNA ^_-

      *who works in a comic shop & gets to read everything free!!*
    • PGit
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 28, 2003
        Heee. Thanks for the list! I started working in a
        comics shop this week. Hurrah for staff discount.

        ... boo for Magic: The Gathering sort detail.

        ~ ALex

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • cricharddavies <cricharddavies@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 29, 2003
          --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "stellaluna_42 <stellaluna_42@y...>"
          <stellaluna_42@y...> wrote:
          > Though no real shoujoai or yuri is involved, a really good title is
          > Y:the Last Man(DC/Vertigo). It's about a dude & his monkey who are
          > literally the last (mammailian) males on Earth.

          They've resurrected *that* old chestnut *again*?

          > He, & a geneticist
          > and a secret agent, are on a mission to discover what killed all
          the
          > men. It features Neo Amazons & a female version of Shaft.

          ... oh sweet mother of pearl.

          Chris Davies.
        • stellaluna_42 <stellaluna_42@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 30, 2003
            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "cricharddavies
            <cricharddavies@y...>" <cricharddavies@y...> wrote:
            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "stellaluna_42
            <stellaluna_42@y...>"
            > <stellaluna_42@y...> wrote:
            > > Though no real shoujoai or yuri is involved, a really good title
            is
            > > Y:the Last Man(DC/Vertigo). It's about a dude & his monkey who
            are
            > > literally the last (mammailian) males on Earth.
            >
            > They've resurrected *that* old chestnut *again*?
            >
            > > He, & a geneticist
            > > and a secret agent, are on a mission to discover what killed all
            > the
            > > men. It features Neo Amazons & a female version of Shaft.
            >
            > ... oh sweet mother of pearl.
            >
            > Chris Davies.

            Oh, c'mon, it's actually really good this time. The excellent writing
            more than makes up for the overused concept. Plus, I'm not being fair
            to the secret agent chick. She's WAY cooler that Shaft. (She just
            happens to dress like him.)

            STELLALUNA ^_^
          • Shannon Stricof
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2003

              WHAT?! Cooler than Shaft?? SACRILIGE, HERECY, no one could be cooler than Shaft.

              -hehe, Shannon Ami

               "stellaluna_42 <stellaluna_42@...>" <stellaluna_42@...> wrote:

              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "cricharddavies
              <cricharddavies@y...>" <cricharddavies@y...> wrote:
              > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "stellaluna_42
              <stellaluna_42@y...>"
              > <stellaluna_42@y...> wrote:
              > > Though no real shoujoai or yuri is involved, a really good title
              is
              > > Y:the Last Man(DC/Vertigo). It's about a dude & his monkey who
              are
              > > literally the last (mammailian) males on Earth.
              >
              > They've resurrected *that* old chestnut *again*?
              >
              > > He, & a geneticist
              > > and a secret agent, are on a mission to discover what killed all
              > the
              > > men. It features Neo Amazons & a female version of Shaft.
              >
              > ... oh sweet mother of pearl.
              >
              > Chris Davies.

              Oh, c'mon, it's actually really good this time. The excellent writing
              more than makes up for the overused concept. Plus, I'm not being fair
              to the secret agent chick. She's WAY cooler that Shaft. (She just
              happens to dress like him.)

              STELLALUNA    ^_^

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Thomas Scroggs
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 2, 2003
                I didn't make the connection for a REALLY long time.
                And even after it I couldn't still couldn't think of
                the singer as male :)

                He really sounds female in that song.

                =====
                http://mailplus.yahoo.com