Re: [Yuricon] OK - let's see how many *really* competent,cool characters we can come up with!

  • awill
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 16, 2002
      atheniag wrote:

      > Here's the rules for this game:
      >
      > 1) The character cannot lose or be killed during the series, unless they die heroically, probably scarificing themselves for the unworthy hero/ine.
      >
      > 2) The character has to get the girl/guy for reasons that make sense - not something like the love interest unreasonably obsesses about them. Not getting the girl/guy does not disqualify them - most of the cool characters don't actually end up with anyone.
      >
      > 3) The character must make good decisions on a regular basis, hence "competent." Characters with unhealthy obsessions, no matter how otherwise "competent" are disqualified, if the obsession makes it hard for them to make good decisions. Juri is a good example of this...
      >
      > 4) The character cannot be a vampire or other undead/unreal/demonic/magic/robot humanoid. A human who has magical or exceptional ablities is okay provided...
      >
      > 5) Henshin, power-ups or other transformation-like processes must be under their control and not be because of *emotional excess.*
      >
      > Now - just for fun, male of female, who can we think of that fullfil these requirements? Here's who I came up with after some long thought and trawling through my anime and manga collection with my wife.
      >
      > Female:
      > Rally Vincent - Gunsmith Cats
      > Kanuka Clancy - Patlabor
      > Takeo Kumagami - Patlabor
      > Asuka - Hana no Asuka-gumi
      > Nami - One Piece
      > Bibi Nefertari - One Piece
      > Kaoru no Kimi - Oniisama E
      > Lady Oscar - Rose of Versailles
      > Rally Cheyenne - Silent Mobius
      > Sakaki - Azumanga Daioh
      > Akira - Kaguya-hime
      >
      > Male:
      > Sanada Yukimura - Samurai Deeper Kyo (he wins, so far as the coolest and most competent male character I've seen so far, hands down.)
      > Touya Kinomoto - Card Captor Sakura
      > Fujitaka Kinomoto - Card Captor Sakura
      > Noburu, Suoh and Akira - Clamp Campus Detectives
      > Conan Edogawa - Detective Conan
      > Daichi Kobayashi - Hime-chan no Ribon
      > Rufi - One Piece
      > Zoro - One Piece
      > Sanji - One Piece
      > Shanks - One Piece
      > Ussop - One Piece (Ok, I'm pushing it on "cool" with him, but he *does* fulfill the requirements, even if he looks icky.)
      > Bean Bandit - Gunsmith Cats, Bean Bandit
      >
      > Goa haead - toss 'em out and I'll see if I can shoot 'em down. LOL

      I nominate Jet from Cowboy Bebop for a cool male.
      Rally Vincent is dead on for a cool female... but
      I haven't seen Noir yet!

      Byakko
    • dreiser
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 23, 2002
        i hope i'm not repeating anyone else's suggestions,
        if i am, i apologize.

        kris - bav
        ruki - digimon
        madoka - kor
        motoko - love hina
        weasel girl - rurouni kenshin
        hibiki - strawberry eggs
        misaki - futaba-kun change
        sai - angelic layer

        now i'm off to work on birds of prey fanfic and ignore
        the fact my favorite comic book made tv series is being
        cancelled and i shall no longer get to stare at dina
        meyer weekly. grrrr... at least i have almost every comic
        barbara gordon's appeared in for calming efforts.

        nic
      • Sean Gaffney
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 23, 2002
          > kris - bav

          OAV, Kris, yes. TV Kris, forget it. Too obsessed with Akari.

          > madoka - kor

          Yeah, she probably qualifies. I dislike her anyway. :-p

          > motoko - love hina

          Again, I think she's too obsessed with being cool to be cool - her
          constant need to prove herself, and the fact that Keitaro distracts
          her so easily. Plus the turtle thing.

          > misaki - futaba-kun change

          ...she's a great character, but I wouldn't call her COOL per se.
          Futana, perhaps.

          --SG
        • dreiser
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 23, 2002

            > ...she's a great character, but I wouldn't call her COOL per se.
            > Futana, perhaps.

            she's too obsessed with getting laid to be cool.

            nic
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 23, 2002
              >From: "dreiser" <dreiser3@...>
              > > ...she's a great character, but I wouldn't call her COOL per se.
              > > Futana, perhaps.
              >
              >she's too obsessed with getting laid to be cool.

              That "no obsession" rule is a real stumper. So many anime characters really
              are written around the obsession/fixation for/against a thing/person.

              Many of the characters I actually like best fall under this - Hana no Saint
              Juste from Oniisama E, for instance, who is so utterly cool that she
              singlehandedly makes me want to smoke and do drugs, 'cause when she does it,
              it's so damn sexy...but she's got her obsession and that really sucks the
              coolness right out of her.

              In the last episode she's in, she seems to have had an epiphany and let go
              of the obsession and she looks practically radiant. But...

              Requisite

              Spoiler

              Space

              to protect the innocent

              Which is what makes her death just that much more tragic. She's *finally*
              free of the obsession (and likely of the need to drug herself insensate) and
              there's adorable little Nanako, who's stuck with her through thick and thin,
              waiting for her at the station...sigh.

              It couldn't have worked out as a relationship - but what an affair it might
              have been!!

            • Dana G.
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 23, 2002
                WHAT? you mean they're going to cancel birds of prey? *is not impressed* at
                least, i've been taping the last few episodes... but still, that sucks. i
                was really hopeful at the direction they were taking. it was a good show,
                albeit it did have a shitty timeslot in my opinion.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 23, 2002
                  --- In Yuricon@y..., "Dana G." <snebula32@h...> wrote:
                  > WHAT? you mean they're going to cancel birds of prey? *is not
                  impressed* at
                  > least, i've been taping the last few episodes... but still, that
                  sucks. i
                  > was really hopeful at the direction they were taking. it was a good
                  show,
                  > albeit it did have a shitty timeslot in my opinion.

                  According to an interview that Ms. Meyer gave yesterday, the show has
                  not been cancelled *yet* ... but I would not hold out much hope that
                  the rest of the season will be ordered. Oh well.

                  Chris Davies.
                • kage9of9235
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 25, 2002
                    --- In Yuricon@y..., "cricharddavies" <cricharddavies@y...> wrote:

                    > According to an interview that Ms. Meyer gave yesterday, the show
                    has
                    > not been cancelled *yet* ... but I would not hold out much hope
                    that
                    > the rest of the season will be ordered. Oh well.
                    >
                    > Chris Davies.

                    Birds of Prey, according to a WB press release has now officially
                    been cancelled. I agree with the suckiness of this decision. I also
                    mourn the loss of a weekly Dina Meyer dose.

                    kage-kun
                    "ookami wa ookami"
                  • Tim BonuraII
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
                      THis sucks the show was getting better. I had some
                      problems with Huntress at first myself, the emotion
                      roller for one, but things were getting better.

                      Sincerly pissed,

                      Tim II- Challenger

                      --- kage9of9235 <nineofnine@...> wrote:
                      > --- In Yuricon@y..., "cricharddavies"
                      > <cricharddavies@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > According to an interview that Ms. Meyer gave
                      > yesterday, the show
                      > has
                      > > not been cancelled *yet* ... but I would not hold
                      > out much hope
                      > that
                      > > the rest of the season will be ordered. Oh well.
                      > >
                      > > Chris Davies.
                      >
                      > Birds of Prey, according to a WB press release has
                      > now officially
                      > been cancelled. I agree with the suckiness of this
                      > decision. I also
                      > mourn the loss of a weekly Dina Meyer dose.
                      >
                      > kage-kun
                      > "ookami wa ookami"

                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com