Re: [Yuricon] [ot] HELP!!!! yuri/ anime seminar

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2002
      >From: "Kazeno Hoshi" <kazenohoshi@...>

      >My name is Cassie Huang, and 1) i'm a huge fan of yuri/ shoujoai and 2) a
      >student working in the women's studies department at MIT.

      Hi Cassie - thanks for thinking of us in your time of need. :-)

      >This combined got me into a bit of trouble with my supervisor...who now
      >thinks it's a great idea to organize a seminar on the subject of gender
      >roles and sexuality in anime, and i'm in charge of finding the speakers.
      >
      >can anyone think of any famous people that i should tell my supervisor to
      >invite? (professors prefered) or of any places i can find more information
      >on the subject?

      With absolutely NO humility whatsoever, I think I should be on that list.
      I've now done over almost two dozen yuri/yaoi presentatons, histories, and
      discussions across the country. I'm currently writing an article about the
      subject for Animerica.

      The problem is that there are *many* people who have written about gender
      issues in Japan...but few who have dealt with them in anime.

      Sabdha Charlton is another good name - she'd doing her Ph.D. on the subject
      out in Australia.

      If you're interested in yaoi/shounenai, you might want to approach the folks
      at Aestheticism.com -they have positioned themselved as Yaoi/shounenai
      experts. I know quite alot about Yaoi and shounenai and keep up on trends,
      since I feel that it's my field to keep up with representations of gays and
      lesbians in popular anime and manga, but it's not my field of interest.

      That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Please don't hesitate to
      ask for anything further - this is a subject near and dear to my heart. :-)

      Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.� Join now!