Re: [Yuricon] Re: OT: Halloween

  • Shannon Stricof
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 31, 2002

      Cool, a jedi, seems a bit late for a name suggestion though, what'dya wind up picking???

      -Shannon

       stellaluna_42 <stellaluna_42@...> wrote:

      Meesah gonna be a Jedi.

      Yay for cool Jedi warrior chicks.

      STELLALUNA

      *needs to think up a cool Jedi name. NE suggestions?*

      Do you Yahoo!?
      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now

    • Eltink, Royi
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 1, 2002
        > What?!?!?! There's always room for another celebration!!!!!!!!
        >
        > -Shannon

        Hmm, nah, a small list iirc:

        - Three Kings, kiddos wandering streets.
        - Carnaval (south), 5 days of beer-drinking.
        - Queen's Birthday, more drinking.
        - Day of Labour, demonstrations, but normal people have a hangover from Queen's Birthday.
        - Liberation Day #1, drinking and celebrating end of WW2.
        - Dykes and Faggots Day (only my city), music, movies, drinking and smoking pot.
        - Local-Militia-Party (south), marches and a shootingcontest followed by beer.
        - Cargo Sailing Contest (north), good opportunity to drink "schippersbitter" wich is a spicy liquor.
        - Antillian Carnaval (west), like Brazillian carnaval, but more beer.
        - Liberation Day #2, eating ricetable, drinking Lychee-wine, and celebrating end of WW2.
        - Hindustan Newyear (west), dance in the streets, drink beer and smoke pot.
        - Liberation of the Slaves (west), good opportunity to drink Surinam beer and smoke pot.
        - 'Sinterklaas', eat candy and drink hot chocolate with liquor.
        - St. Martin, kiddos wandering streets.
        - Christmas, drink warm wine.
        - 2nd Christmas day, drink warm wine _and_ smoke pot.
        - Newyear, drink champagne and play with fireworks.

        And since our country is so small (you cant drive 200 miles without crossing a border), people travel to enjoy parties everywhere..

        Ro'
      • Shannon Stricof
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 1, 2002

          Fine, here theres always room for another celebration

          -Shannon

           "Eltink, Royi" <r.eltink@...> wrote:

          > What?!?!?! There's always room for another celebration!!!!!!!!
          >
          > -Shannon

          Hmm, nah, a small list iirc:

          - Three Kings, kiddos wandering streets.
          - Carnaval (south), 5 days of beer-drinking.
          - Queen's Birthday, more drinking.
          - Day of Labour, demonstrations, but normal people have a hangover from Queen's Birthday.
          - Liberation Day #1, drinking and celebrating end of WW2.
          - Dykes and Faggots Day (only my city), music, movies, drinking and smoking pot.
          - Local-Militia-Party (south), marches and a shootingcontest followed by beer.
          - Cargo Sailing Contest (north), good opportunity to drink "schippersbitter" wich is a spicy liquor.
          - Antillian Carnaval (west), like Brazillian carnaval, but more beer.
          - Liberation Day #2, eating ricetable, drinking Lychee-wine, and celebrating end of WW2.
          - Hindustan Newyear (west), dance in the streets, drink beer and smoke pot.
          - Liberation of the Slaves (west), good opportunity to drink Surinam beer and smoke pot.
          - 'Sinterklaas', eat candy and drink hot chocolate with liquor.
          - St. Martin, kiddos wandering streets.
          - Christmas, drink warm wine.
          - 2nd Christmas day, drink warm wine _and_ smoke pot.
          - Newyear, drink champagne and play with fireworks.

          And since our country is so small (you cant drive 200 miles without crossing a border), people travel to enjoy parties everywhere..

          Ro'

          Do you Yahoo!?
          HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now

        • Amy Gordon
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 2, 2002

            High school ^_^ math is eeevil. it's ridiculus for me to take it, since i'm going into english. but i'd rather take it now than waste the time in uni. i've heard rumour that they make you take high-school equivalent calc courses no matter what you take.. so *shrugs* i'm playing it safe ^_^

            -Zeph ^_^
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 2, 2002
              Mwah. I suck all the fun out of things and then
              re-read and find I've failed to define or explain
              anything. It's hilarious - this is why 2am is
              entertaing, eh? I forgot to explain that
              jack'o'lanterns are pumpkins or squash or turnips
              carved into wacky faces and have candles put inside
              them, and then traditionally are carried about (I had
              one named Elzrizckle this year) or set on porches to
              indicate that the household is participating, and has
              lots of yummy snacks to give out. Yay. As for a
              costume, I ended up as a stockbroker circa the tech
              bust. Very fun.

              We have Carnivale here, too, actually. Canadians are a
              pretty multicultural bunch, especially in Toronto
              (yaymyhometownIwannagohome!) where there's more
              _everyone_ outside of their home country than anywhere
              else. All about the tolerance. So we have lots and
              lots and lots of parties in various areas of the city
              at various times of the year. Hallowe'en is just the
              biggest caucasian one outside of X-mas. _Everyone_ has
              some kind of midwinter festival, christmas, New
              Year's, Hannukah, whatever. In February Montreal has
              _their_ Carnivale, which is Mardi Gras. Toronto has
              some of it but not a lot - Easter isn't so huge here
              as it once was because of the mix of religions. We
              have _our_ Carnivale in the middle of the summer - it
              used to be called Caribana, a celebration of the
              Carribbean population in the city.

              Perhaps Mardi Gras isn't so big because it tends to
              fall nearish Chinese New Year, which is a ginormous
              party that goes on in the middle of the city and out
              in Richmond Hill, a suburban area to the north of it.
              Moving towards summer, there's Gay Pride, third
              largest in the world, which has turned into a
              week-long celebration of acceptance, unity, and
              getting wet with few clothes on, then there are all
              the summer festivals and things, which are less
              impressive.

              My housemate just mumbled something about the nature
              of settler-nations and citystates. I think it's just
              plain that Toronto and Canada rock because we have
              large numbers of parties that are very cool throughout
              the year. Queer Pride is undoubtably the wildest,
              though I think Hallowe'en is the most fun. There's
              always room for another!

              ~ Alex (aka PGit)
              whim.robotskull.com
              Whim - Meet Dame Toquezalotte

              --- "Eltink, Royi" <r.eltink@...> wrote:
              > Alright, I get it,,,
              > I think we dont have this celebration here, because
              > I think that otherwise, we would party the whole
              > year 'round..
              >
              > Dressing up as someone else and drinking a shitload
              > of beer we refer as 'Carnaval' (in the south) or
              > 'Antillian Carnaval' (in the west, exactly like
              > Brazilian carnaval). Kiddos wandering the streets in
              > the evening, begging for candy at the doors, we can
              > expect on St.Martin and on Three Kings.
              > Scaring spirits is for newyear, where breaking the
              > record on the amount of fireworks shot into the air
              > is part of it.
              >
              > I dont think we can bare another celebration...
              > ^.^;;;
              >

              > Ro'

              HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
              http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
            • Eltink, Royi
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 3, 2002
                > We have Carnivale here, too, actually. Canadians are a

                A note on carnaval..
                The Dutch Anime Convention always is around the carnaval-weekend. (And is mostly held in the south, so no one notices cosplayers in the train ^^)
                But starts friday afternoon, when I am actually supposed to be in a classroom.
                But since I study in the south of the country where carnaval starts on thursday-evening with "Heutelabend" (cant translate this, southern dialect) a kind of 'pre-drink' evening, or 'laying a layer of beer' evening (this is true horror, believe me. No one eagers to see his 50 year old female Dutch language teacher in a tight red leather miniskirt dancing on a table *shivers*) on the campus that is, I can sneak out of class on Friday... actually no student or teacher shows up friday, due to a hangover.

                > Moving towards summer, there's Gay Pride, third
                > largest in the world, which has turned into a
                > week-long celebration of acceptance, unity, and
                > getting wet with few clothes on, then there are all
                > the summer festivals and things, which are less
                > impressive.

                We have Amsterdam Pride, is very large.. ( http://www.amsterdampride.nl/engels/indexengoud.htm ) to be honest, Ive never been there..
                Further, my homecity (Nijmegen, the east) holds a Dykes-and-Faggots "Potten en Flikkers dag" day every year, with bands playing in the streets and movies, workshops, parties, drinking, smoking pot etc.. I believe this celebration was started by one of the former mayors who was a lesbian.
                And there is also 'Pink May' during month may, I dont know what this really is, I think something with movie-festivals, workshops and stuff.. and ends with dykes-n-faggots day.

                Ro'