Re: [Yuricon] OT: Halloween

  • Levk Velez
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002
      I wish you luck then. GOOD LUCK!!! :) I am not
      dressing up by the way, I have no reason to really ><
      oh well. Talk to you later

      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
      http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
    • Eltink, Royi
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002
        Uhm... what is Halloween actually?
        Here in the Netherlands only shamans and witches do something with it..or something.

        Ro'
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002
          >From: "Shannon Ami Stricof" <shanami632@...>

          >Hey,
          >Thursday is Halloween, YAY!!!!!!!!
          >What's everyone dressing up as?

          *s* I was going to wear my army camoflauge, but I've decided to wear cat
          ears instead. I have a bet with myself that no one notices because,
          apparently, I look perfectly normal walking around in cat ears. :-)

          Broadband?�Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.
        • PGit
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002
            !! Hallowe'en is somewhat larger over here. It's
            second only to Christmas in money expended on
            decorations and costumes and food and whatnot.

            Technically, Hallowe'en is All Hallow's Eve, the night
            before All Saint's Day, also known as the Day of the
            Dead. It's the night when spirits are said to be able
            to walk alongside the living, before the holy Saint's
            Day starts. If you're going by my (extremely cribbed
            notes), it's roughly analgous (sp) to the
            Wiccan/Druid's Samhain. Technically intended to ward
            evil spirits and to remember the dead who have gone
            before us, it's also intended to celebrate and
            venerate them.

            Over here, we dress up in costumes. This started (as
            far as I know) as a mortal representation of the
            spirits who would be walking, possibly to confuse 'em.
            Hence, ghosts, ghouls, ghasts, witches, bats,
            vampires, mummies... all the typical Walking Dead type
            stuff. Recently it's branched out to just being
            someone other than yourself.

            I've forgotten most of the separate tradition of the
            Jack'o'Lantern, except for the bit where it was a
            facial rep to ward of spirits, and or a tale of a man
            caught between heaven and hell and stuck on Earth
            forever.

            In my seasonal calendar, it comes far third to
            Beltaine and Christmas/Mithrastide as a holiday for
            celebration. On the other hand, it's a lovely chance
            to scare the bejesus out of people and no real
            repercussions.

            The best celebrations in the world are said to be in
            Mexico, New Orlean's and Haiti, where voodoo and, of
            course, the true Day of the Dead are still celebrated.

            It's also traditionally a day for the second-holiest
            of blood sacrifices, preferably human, but I know
            practically nothing of that.

            I'm sure there are some Wiccans about who can clear
            things up, probably sans the human sacrifice element.

            ~ Alex (aka PGit)
            whim.robotskull.com
            Whim - Busted Hand Style

            --- "Eltink, Royi" <r.eltink@...> wrote:
            > Uhm... what is Halloween actually?
            > Here in the Netherlands only shamans and witches do
            > something with it..or something.
            >

            > Ro'

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
          • Amy Gordon
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

              My old calculus teacher retired last year, but he left his nameplate. I'm hanging that around my neck and going as him *lol*

              -Zeph ^_^

              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

                Also, don't forget that little kids dress up in their costumes and go from door to door in their neighborehoods knocking. When the home-owner opens the door, the kids say "trick or treat" and the owner gives them some candy. If all of the outside lights are off or no one answers the door, that means the owner doesn't have any candy to give out to kids.

                * - Kes ^.~*

[...]

                ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
                "I am the angel, you are the hatred... that sipped my blood and broke my wings"
              • PGit
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002
                  Trust me to miss the obvious, eh? *laughs*

                  ~ Alex (aka PGit)

                • Ryogachan@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

                    *laughs* But you gave so many cute little intricate details ;-)

                    * - Kes ^.~*

                    --- Ryogachan@... wrote:

                    >  Also, don't forget that little kids dress up in
                    > their costumes and go from
                    > door to door in their neighborehoods knocking. When
                    > the home-owner opens the
                    > door, the kids say "trick or treat" and the owner
                    > gives them some candy. If
                    > all of the outside lights are off or no one answers
                    > the door, that means the
                    > owner doesn't have any candy to give out to kids.
                    >
                    >  * - Kes ^.~*

                    ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
                    "I am the angel, you are the hatred... that sipped my blood and broke my wings"
                  • Shannon Stricof

                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

                        Hehe, are you sure no one notices, or is it like my case where everyone is just used to you being slightly off from time to time so they dont take the time to mention it???

                        wheeeee, Shannon, Ugh, final question for my costume, pink sunglasses or blue sunglasses w/o lenses, choices, choices, *sigh

                         Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                        *s* I was going to wear my army camoflauge, but I've decided to wear cat
                        ears instead. I have a bet with myself that no one notices because,
                        apparently, I look perfectly normal walking around in cat ears. :-)

                        Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.

                        Sell a Home with Ease!
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/cGIolB/TM

                        Do you Yahoo!?

                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

                          Oh poo, you took all the fun outta it Alex, *whine*. Halloween is a great holiday, you dress up in a costume and go to peoples houses to get free candy (if your a kid) or you go to parties.

                          -Shannon

                          --- "Eltink, Royi" <r.eltink@...> wrote:
                          > Uhm... what is Halloween actually?
                          > Here in the Netherlands only shamans and witches do
                          > something with it..or something.
                          >

                          > Ro'

                          Do you Yahoo!?

                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

                            Ha! are you in high-school or college Amy???UGGGGHHHH calc I took it last year and this year it only got worse and its making my head spin in funny little circles.

                            -Shannon

                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 31, 2002
                                Alright, I get it,,,
                                I think we dont have this celebration here, because I think that otherwise, we would party the whole year 'round..

                                Dressing up as someone else and drinking a shitload of beer we refer as 'Carnaval' (in the south) or 'Antillian Carnaval' (in the west, exactly like Brazilian carnaval). Kiddos wandering the streets in the evening, begging for candy at the doors, we can expect on St.Martin and on Three Kings.
                                Scaring spirits is for newyear, where breaking the record on the amount of fireworks shot into the air is part of it.

                                I dont think we can bare another celebration... ^.^;;;

                                Ro'
                              • stellaluna_42
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 31, 2002
                                  Meesah gonna be a Jedi.

                                  Yay for cool Jedi warrior chicks.

                                  STELLALUNA

                                  *needs to think up a cool Jedi name. NE suggestions?*
                                • xpc
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 31, 2002

                                    fuuma like i was at yaoi con. ^^;  everyone thought i was from the Matrix, though. -_- baah.

                                    xpc

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 1, 2002
                                          > What?!?!?! There's always room for another celebration!!!!!!!!
                                          >
                                          > -Shannon

                                          Hmm, nah, a small list iirc:

                                          - Three Kings, kiddos wandering streets.
                                          - Carnaval (south), 5 days of beer-drinking.
                                          - Queen's Birthday, more drinking.
                                          - Day of Labour, demonstrations, but normal people have a hangover from Queen's Birthday.
                                          - Liberation Day #1, drinking and celebrating end of WW2.
                                          - Dykes and Faggots Day (only my city), music, movies, drinking and smoking pot.
                                          - Local-Militia-Party (south), marches and a shootingcontest followed by beer.
                                          - Cargo Sailing Contest (north), good opportunity to drink "schippersbitter" wich is a spicy liquor.
                                          - Antillian Carnaval (west), like Brazillian carnaval, but more beer.
                                          - Liberation Day #2, eating ricetable, drinking Lychee-wine, and celebrating end of WW2.
                                          - Hindustan Newyear (west), dance in the streets, drink beer and smoke pot.
                                          - Liberation of the Slaves (west), good opportunity to drink Surinam beer and smoke pot.
                                          - 'Sinterklaas', eat candy and drink hot chocolate with liquor.
                                          - St. Martin, kiddos wandering streets.
                                          - Christmas, drink warm wine.
                                          - 2nd Christmas day, drink warm wine _and_ smoke pot.
                                          - Newyear, drink champagne and play with fireworks.

                                          And since our country is so small (you cant drive 200 miles without crossing a border), people travel to enjoy parties everywhere..

                                          Ro'
                                        • Shannon Stricof
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 1, 2002

                                            Fine, here theres always room for another celebration

                                            -Shannon

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 2, 2002

                                              High school ^_^ math is eeevil. it's ridiculus for me to take it, since i'm going into english. but i'd rather take it now than waste the time in uni. i've heard rumour that they make you take high-school equivalent calc courses no matter what you take.. so *shrugs* i'm playing it safe ^_^

                                              -Zeph ^_^
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 2, 2002
                                                Mwah. I suck all the fun out of things and then
                                                re-read and find I've failed to define or explain
                                                anything. It's hilarious - this is why 2am is
                                                entertaing, eh? I forgot to explain that
                                                jack'o'lanterns are pumpkins or squash or turnips
                                                carved into wacky faces and have candles put inside
                                                them, and then traditionally are carried about (I had
                                                one named Elzrizckle this year) or set on porches to
                                                indicate that the household is participating, and has
                                                lots of yummy snacks to give out. Yay. As for a
                                                costume, I ended up as a stockbroker circa the tech
                                                bust. Very fun.

                                                We have Carnivale here, too, actually. Canadians are a
                                                pretty multicultural bunch, especially in Toronto
                                                (yaymyhometownIwannagohome!) where there's more
                                                _everyone_ outside of their home country than anywhere
                                                else. All about the tolerance. So we have lots and
                                                lots and lots of parties in various areas of the city
                                                at various times of the year. Hallowe'en is just the
                                                biggest caucasian one outside of X-mas. _Everyone_ has
                                                some kind of midwinter festival, christmas, New
                                                Year's, Hannukah, whatever. In February Montreal has
                                                _their_ Carnivale, which is Mardi Gras. Toronto has
                                                some of it but not a lot - Easter isn't so huge here
                                                as it once was because of the mix of religions. We
                                                have _our_ Carnivale in the middle of the summer - it
                                                used to be called Caribana, a celebration of the
                                                Carribbean population in the city.

                                                Perhaps Mardi Gras isn't so big because it tends to
                                                fall nearish Chinese New Year, which is a ginormous
                                                party that goes on in the middle of the city and out
                                                in Richmond Hill, a suburban area to the north of it.
                                                Moving towards summer, there's Gay Pride, third
                                                largest in the world, which has turned into a
                                                week-long celebration of acceptance, unity, and
                                                getting wet with few clothes on, then there are all
                                                the summer festivals and things, which are less
                                                impressive.

                                                My housemate just mumbled something about the nature
                                                of settler-nations and citystates. I think it's just
                                                plain that Toronto and Canada rock because we have
                                                large numbers of parties that are very cool throughout
                                                the year. Queer Pride is undoubtably the wildest,
                                                though I think Hallowe'en is the most fun. There's
                                                always room for another!

                                                ~ Alex (aka PGit)
                                                whim.robotskull.com
                                                Whim - Meet Dame Toquezalotte

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 3, 2002
                                                  > We have Carnivale here, too, actually. Canadians are a

                                                  A note on carnaval..
                                                  The Dutch Anime Convention always is around the carnaval-weekend. (And is mostly held in the south, so no one notices cosplayers in the train ^^)
                                                  But starts friday afternoon, when I am actually supposed to be in a classroom.
                                                  But since I study in the south of the country where carnaval starts on thursday-evening with "Heutelabend" (cant translate this, southern dialect) a kind of 'pre-drink' evening, or 'laying a layer of beer' evening (this is true horror, believe me. No one eagers to see his 50 year old female Dutch language teacher in a tight red leather miniskirt dancing on a table *shivers*) on the campus that is, I can sneak out of class on Friday... actually no student or teacher shows up friday, due to a hangover.

                                                  > Moving towards summer, there's Gay Pride, third
                                                  > largest in the world, which has turned into a
                                                  > week-long celebration of acceptance, unity, and
                                                  > getting wet with few clothes on, then there are all
                                                  > the summer festivals and things, which are less
                                                  > impressive.

                                                  We have Amsterdam Pride, is very large.. ( http://www.amsterdampride.nl/engels/indexengoud.htm ) to be honest, Ive never been there..
                                                  Further, my homecity (Nijmegen, the east) holds a Dykes-and-Faggots "Potten en Flikkers dag" day every year, with bands playing in the streets and movies, workshops, parties, drinking, smoking pot etc.. I believe this celebration was started by one of the former mayors who was a lesbian.
                                                  And there is also 'Pink May' during month may, I dont know what this really is, I think something with movie-festivals, workshops and stuff.. and ends with dykes-n-faggots day.

                                                  Ro'