OT: Halloween

  • Shannon Ami Stricof
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 29, 2002
      Hey,
      Thursday is Halloween, YAY!!!!!!!!
      What's everyone dressing up as? I'm going as Jane

      luv, Shannon
      BTW: I'm gonna come out to my mommy thurs, wish me luck (i hope i
      dont need it, hee hee)
    • Alex Picchetti
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 29, 2002
        Well, I went to the AN dance as Xelloss. Beyond that, I can't really dress up this year, I have classes Thursday night. ;_;

        -Alex

        Hey,
        Thursday is Halloween, YAY!!!!!!!!
        What's everyone dressing up as? I'm going as Jane

        luv, Shannon
        BTW: I'm gonna come out to my mommy thurs, wish me luck (i hope i
        dont need it, hee hee)

        Plan to Sell a Home?
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/jd3IAA/cGIolB/TM

      • PGit
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 29, 2002
          Hmmm. I think I'm going as Lola, from Run Lola Run.
          We're doing a movie theme out here, and I re-did my
          head this weekend. Which restricts me to that or
          Columbine, of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. That
          Xellos costume kicked arse, mind you. *snicker*

          ~ Alex (aka PGit)
          "I'm telling you stories. Trust me." ~ Jeanette
          Winterson

          --- Alex Picchetti <nuriseiya@...> wrote:
          > Well, I went to the AN dance as Xelloss. Beyond
          > that, I can't really dress up this year, I have
          > classes Thursday night. ;_;
          >
          > -Alex
          >

          > Hey,
          > Thursday is Halloween, YAY!!!!!!!!
          > What's everyone dressing up as? I'm going as Jane
          >
          > luv, Shannon
          > BTW: I'm gonna come out to my mommy thurs, wish me
          > luck (i hope i
          > dont need it, hee hee)

          HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
          http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
        • Alex Picchetti
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002
            *l* It rocked even more before Steve got my staff taken away because he (unintentionally) "assaulted" a security officer with it...
            Now, never mind that for like an hour before I had been using it as an air guitar and a 'pole' for 'pole dancing' and generally waving it around and thumping the floor with it...

            Meh, whatever. *huggles her staff*

            -Alex
            Hmmm. I think I'm going as Lola, from Run Lola Run.
            We're doing a movie theme out here, and I re-did my
            head this weekend. Which restricts me to that or
            Columbine, of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. That
            Xellos costume kicked arse, mind you. *snicker*

            ~ Alex (aka PGit)
            "I'm telling you stories. Trust me." ~ Jeanette
            Winterson

            --- Alex Picchetti <nuriseiya@...> wrote:
            > Well, I went to the AN dance as Xelloss. Beyond
            > that, I can't really dress up this year, I have
            > classes Thursday night. ;_;
            >
            > -Alex
            >

            >   Hey,
            >   Thursday is Halloween, YAY!!!!!!!!
            >   What's everyone dressing up as? I'm going as Jane
            >
            >   luv, Shannon
            >   BTW: I'm gonna come out to my mommy thurs, wish me
            > luck (i hope i
            >   dont need it, hee hee)

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

            Home Selling? Try Us!
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/jd3IAA/cGIolB/TM

          • Levk Velez
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002
              I wish you luck then. GOOD LUCK!!! :) I am not
              dressing up by the way, I have no reason to really ><
              oh well. Talk to you later

              HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
              http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
            • Eltink, Royi
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002
                Uhm... what is Halloween actually?
                Here in the Netherlands only shamans and witches do something with it..or something.

                Ro'
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002
                  >From: "Shannon Ami Stricof" <shanami632@...>

                  >Hey,
                  >Thursday is Halloween, YAY!!!!!!!!
                  >What's everyone dressing up as?

                  *s* I was going to wear my army camoflauge, but I've decided to wear cat
                  ears instead. I have a bet with myself that no one notices because,
                  apparently, I look perfectly normal walking around in cat ears. :-)

                  Broadband?�Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.
                • PGit
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002
                    !! Hallowe'en is somewhat larger over here. It's
                    second only to Christmas in money expended on
                    decorations and costumes and food and whatnot.

                    Technically, Hallowe'en is All Hallow's Eve, the night
                    before All Saint's Day, also known as the Day of the
                    Dead. It's the night when spirits are said to be able
                    to walk alongside the living, before the holy Saint's
                    Day starts. If you're going by my (extremely cribbed
                    notes), it's roughly analgous (sp) to the
                    Wiccan/Druid's Samhain. Technically intended to ward
                    evil spirits and to remember the dead who have gone
                    before us, it's also intended to celebrate and
                    venerate them.

                    Over here, we dress up in costumes. This started (as
                    far as I know) as a mortal representation of the
                    spirits who would be walking, possibly to confuse 'em.
                    Hence, ghosts, ghouls, ghasts, witches, bats,
                    vampires, mummies... all the typical Walking Dead type
                    stuff. Recently it's branched out to just being
                    someone other than yourself.

                    I've forgotten most of the separate tradition of the
                    Jack'o'Lantern, except for the bit where it was a
                    facial rep to ward of spirits, and or a tale of a man
                    caught between heaven and hell and stuck on Earth
                    forever.

                    In my seasonal calendar, it comes far third to
                    Beltaine and Christmas/Mithrastide as a holiday for
                    celebration. On the other hand, it's a lovely chance
                    to scare the bejesus out of people and no real
                    repercussions.

                    The best celebrations in the world are said to be in
                    Mexico, New Orlean's and Haiti, where voodoo and, of
                    course, the true Day of the Dead are still celebrated.

                    It's also traditionally a day for the second-holiest
                    of blood sacrifices, preferably human, but I know
                    practically nothing of that.

                    I'm sure there are some Wiccans about who can clear
                    things up, probably sans the human sacrifice element.

                    ~ Alex (aka PGit)
                    whim.robotskull.com
                    Whim - Busted Hand Style

                    --- "Eltink, Royi" <r.eltink@...> wrote:
                    > Uhm... what is Halloween actually?
                    > Here in the Netherlands only shamans and witches do
                    > something with it..or something.
                    >

                    > Ro'

                    HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                    http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
                  • Amy Gordon
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

                      My old calculus teacher retired last year, but he left his nameplate. I'm hanging that around my neck and going as him *lol*

                      -Zeph ^_^

                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

                        Also, don't forget that little kids dress up in their costumes and go from door to door in their neighborehoods knocking. When the home-owner opens the door, the kids say "trick or treat" and the owner gives them some candy. If all of the outside lights are off or no one answers the door, that means the owner doesn't have any candy to give out to kids.

                        * - Kes ^.~*

[...]

                        ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
                        "I am the angel, you are the hatred... that sipped my blood and broke my wings"
                      • PGit
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002
                          Trust me to miss the obvious, eh? *laughs*

                          ~ Alex (aka PGit)

                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

                            *laughs* But you gave so many cute little intricate details ;-)

                            * - Kes ^.~*

                            --- Ryogachan@... wrote:

                            >  Also, don't forget that little kids dress up in
                            > their costumes and go from
                            > door to door in their neighborehoods knocking. When
                            > the home-owner opens the
                            > door, the kids say "trick or treat" and the owner
                            > gives them some candy. If
                            > all of the outside lights are off or no one answers
                            > the door, that means the
                            > owner doesn't have any candy to give out to kids.
                            >
                            >  * - Kes ^.~*

                            ~ * ~ * ~ * ~
                            "I am the angel, you are the hatred... that sipped my blood and broke my wings"
                          • Shannon Stricof

                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

                                Hehe, are you sure no one notices, or is it like my case where everyone is just used to you being slightly off from time to time so they dont take the time to mention it???

                                wheeeee, Shannon, Ugh, final question for my costume, pink sunglasses or blue sunglasses w/o lenses, choices, choices, *sigh

                                 Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:

                                *s* I was going to wear my army camoflauge, but I've decided to wear cat
                                ears instead. I have a bet with myself that no one notices because,
                                apparently, I look perfectly normal walking around in cat ears. :-)

                                Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.

                                Sell a Home with Ease!
                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/jd3IAA/cGIolB/TM

                                Do you Yahoo!?

                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

                                  Oh poo, you took all the fun outta it Alex, *whine*. Halloween is a great holiday, you dress up in a costume and go to peoples houses to get free candy (if your a kid) or you go to parties.

                                  -Shannon

                                  --- "Eltink, Royi" <r.eltink@...> wrote:
                                  > Uhm... what is Halloween actually?
                                  > Here in the Netherlands only shamans and witches do
                                  > something with it..or something.
                                  >

                                  > Ro'

                                  Do you Yahoo!?

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 30, 2002

                                    Ha! are you in high-school or college Amy???UGGGGHHHH calc I took it last year and this year it only got worse and its making my head spin in funny little circles.

                                    -Shannon

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 31, 2002
                                        Alright, I get it,,,
                                        I think we dont have this celebration here, because I think that otherwise, we would party the whole year 'round..

                                        Dressing up as someone else and drinking a shitload of beer we refer as 'Carnaval' (in the south) or 'Antillian Carnaval' (in the west, exactly like Brazilian carnaval). Kiddos wandering the streets in the evening, begging for candy at the doors, we can expect on St.Martin and on Three Kings.
                                        Scaring spirits is for newyear, where breaking the record on the amount of fireworks shot into the air is part of it.

                                        I dont think we can bare another celebration... ^.^;;;

                                        Ro'
                                      • stellaluna_42
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 31, 2002
                                          Meesah gonna be a Jedi.

                                          Yay for cool Jedi warrior chicks.

                                          STELLALUNA

                                          *needs to think up a cool Jedi name. NE suggestions?*
                                        • xpc
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 31, 2002

                                            fuuma like i was at yaoi con. ^^;  everyone thought i was from the Matrix, though. -_- baah.

                                            xpc

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 1, 2002
                                                  > What?!?!?! There's always room for another celebration!!!!!!!!
                                                  >
                                                  > -Shannon

                                                  Hmm, nah, a small list iirc:

                                                  - Three Kings, kiddos wandering streets.
                                                  - Carnaval (south), 5 days of beer-drinking.
                                                  - Queen's Birthday, more drinking.
                                                  - Day of Labour, demonstrations, but normal people have a hangover from Queen's Birthday.
                                                  - Liberation Day #1, drinking and celebrating end of WW2.
                                                  - Dykes and Faggots Day (only my city), music, movies, drinking and smoking pot.
                                                  - Local-Militia-Party (south), marches and a shootingcontest followed by beer.
                                                  - Cargo Sailing Contest (north), good opportunity to drink "schippersbitter" wich is a spicy liquor.
                                                  - Antillian Carnaval (west), like Brazillian carnaval, but more beer.
                                                  - Liberation Day #2, eating ricetable, drinking Lychee-wine, and celebrating end of WW2.
                                                  - Hindustan Newyear (west), dance in the streets, drink beer and smoke pot.
                                                  - Liberation of the Slaves (west), good opportunity to drink Surinam beer and smoke pot.
                                                  - 'Sinterklaas', eat candy and drink hot chocolate with liquor.
                                                  - St. Martin, kiddos wandering streets.
                                                  - Christmas, drink warm wine.
                                                  - 2nd Christmas day, drink warm wine _and_ smoke pot.
                                                  - Newyear, drink champagne and play with fireworks.

                                                  And since our country is so small (you cant drive 200 miles without crossing a border), people travel to enjoy parties everywhere..

                                                  Ro'
                                                • Shannon Stricof
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 1, 2002

                                                    Fine, here theres always room for another celebration

                                                    -Shannon

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Nov 2, 2002

                                                      High school ^_^ math is eeevil. it's ridiculus for me to take it, since i'm going into english. but i'd rather take it now than waste the time in uni. i've heard rumour that they make you take high-school equivalent calc courses no matter what you take.. so *shrugs* i'm playing it safe ^_^

                                                      -Zeph ^_^
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Nov 2, 2002
                                                        Mwah. I suck all the fun out of things and then
                                                        re-read and find I've failed to define or explain
                                                        anything. It's hilarious - this is why 2am is
                                                        entertaing, eh? I forgot to explain that
                                                        jack'o'lanterns are pumpkins or squash or turnips
                                                        carved into wacky faces and have candles put inside
                                                        them, and then traditionally are carried about (I had
                                                        one named Elzrizckle this year) or set on porches to
                                                        indicate that the household is participating, and has
                                                        lots of yummy snacks to give out. Yay. As for a
                                                        costume, I ended up as a stockbroker circa the tech
                                                        bust. Very fun.

                                                        We have Carnivale here, too, actually. Canadians are a
                                                        pretty multicultural bunch, especially in Toronto
                                                        (yaymyhometownIwannagohome!) where there's more
                                                        _everyone_ outside of their home country than anywhere
                                                        else. All about the tolerance. So we have lots and
                                                        lots and lots of parties in various areas of the city
                                                        at various times of the year. Hallowe'en is just the
                                                        biggest caucasian one outside of X-mas. _Everyone_ has
                                                        some kind of midwinter festival, christmas, New
                                                        Year's, Hannukah, whatever. In February Montreal has
                                                        _their_ Carnivale, which is Mardi Gras. Toronto has
                                                        some of it but not a lot - Easter isn't so huge here
                                                        as it once was because of the mix of religions. We
                                                        have _our_ Carnivale in the middle of the summer - it
                                                        used to be called Caribana, a celebration of the
                                                        Carribbean population in the city.

                                                        Perhaps Mardi Gras isn't so big because it tends to
                                                        fall nearish Chinese New Year, which is a ginormous
                                                        party that goes on in the middle of the city and out
                                                        in Richmond Hill, a suburban area to the north of it.
                                                        Moving towards summer, there's Gay Pride, third
                                                        largest in the world, which has turned into a
                                                        week-long celebration of acceptance, unity, and
                                                        getting wet with few clothes on, then there are all
                                                        the summer festivals and things, which are less
                                                        impressive.

                                                        My housemate just mumbled something about the nature
                                                        of settler-nations and citystates. I think it's just
                                                        plain that Toronto and Canada rock because we have
                                                        large numbers of parties that are very cool throughout
                                                        the year. Queer Pride is undoubtably the wildest,
                                                        though I think Hallowe'en is the most fun. There's
                                                        always room for another!

                                                        ~ Alex (aka PGit)
                                                        whim.robotskull.com
                                                        Whim - Meet Dame Toquezalotte

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Nov 3, 2002
                                                          > We have Carnivale here, too, actually. Canadians are a

                                                          A note on carnaval..
                                                          The Dutch Anime Convention always is around the carnaval-weekend. (And is mostly held in the south, so no one notices cosplayers in the train ^^)
                                                          But starts friday afternoon, when I am actually supposed to be in a classroom.
                                                          But since I study in the south of the country where carnaval starts on thursday-evening with "Heutelabend" (cant translate this, southern dialect) a kind of 'pre-drink' evening, or 'laying a layer of beer' evening (this is true horror, believe me. No one eagers to see his 50 year old female Dutch language teacher in a tight red leather miniskirt dancing on a table *shivers*) on the campus that is, I can sneak out of class on Friday... actually no student or teacher shows up friday, due to a hangover.

                                                          > Moving towards summer, there's Gay Pride, third
                                                          > largest in the world, which has turned into a
                                                          > week-long celebration of acceptance, unity, and
                                                          > getting wet with few clothes on, then there are all
                                                          > the summer festivals and things, which are less
                                                          > impressive.

                                                          We have Amsterdam Pride, is very large.. ( http://www.amsterdampride.nl/engels/indexengoud.htm ) to be honest, Ive never been there..
                                                          Further, my homecity (Nijmegen, the east) holds a Dykes-and-Faggots "Potten en Flikkers dag" day every year, with bands playing in the streets and movies, workshops, parties, drinking, smoking pot etc.. I believe this celebration was started by one of the former mayors who was a lesbian.
                                                          And there is also 'Pink May' during month may, I dont know what this really is, I think something with movie-festivals, workshops and stuff.. and ends with dykes-n-faggots day.

                                                          Ro'