Re: [Yuricon] Re: Book review, because you know you wanna

    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2002
      >From: "cricharddavies" <cricharddavies@...>
      >--- In Yuricon@y..., "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:
      >
      > > Well, Nicola Griffith, who had an incredible start with "Slow
      >River" is
      > > back.
      >
      ><cough>
      >
      ><pedant> _Slow River_ was her second novel; _Ammonite_ was her first.
      ></pedant>

      Quite right - I stand corrected.

    • Shannon J. L.
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2002
        Stay was better than Blue Place, but I liked them both. Now I get to
        wait and see if there's a third book on Aud...

        Any other good new lesbian SF out there?

        Shane :)
      • cricharddavies
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2002
          --- In Yuricon@y..., "Alex Picchetti" <nuriseiya@r...> wrote:

          > She also helped compile a gay/lesbian fantasy short-story
          > compilation, I think, but I'll be damned if my library has it.

          This is why there are inter-library loans, Ms. Picchetti. :)

          Titles are "Bending the Landscape: Fantasy" and "Bending the
          Landscape: Science Fiction".

          Chris Davies.
        • Alex Picchetti
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2002
            --- In Yuricon@y..., "Alex Picchetti" <nuriseiya@r...> wrote:

            > She also
            helped compile a gay/lesbian fantasy short-story
            > compilation, I think,
            but I'll be damned if my library has it.

            >This is why there are
            inter-library loans, Ms. Picchetti. :)

            >Titles are "Bending the
            Landscape: Fantasy" and "Bending the
            >Landscape: Science
            Fiction".

            Yeah, that one. ^_~;

            But, my library has this neat thing where it searches the databases of the four libraries in the immediate area, and if any of them have it it comes up... and, nothing came up.
            But, I will be valiant in my search! Or something. ^^

            -Alex
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
              >But, my library has this neat thing where it searches the databases of the
              >four libraries in the immediate area, and if any of them have it it comes
              >up... and, nothing came up.
              >But, I will be valiant in my search! Or something. ^^

              Walk thyself to the "reader's Services" Desk of thy library. )Or call them -
              they are in the phone book...and may even be on the internet.) Say these
              magic words, "I would like to ILL a book. How do i go about it?"

              The whacked out, insane person behind the desk, who dresses funny, may well
              have a terrible hairpiece and a strange look in his/her eye, will show you
              the process. You will follow the directions. The books will come in from a
              library far, far away from your town, and you can ponder over the
              inscription "Pensacola Town Library," wondering why on earth the good people
              of Pensacola would have this book in their library, but not you in yours.

              You will read the book. You will return it to your library and you will
              repeat the steps...endlessly. Until the people at the front desk and
              Reader's Services know you by voice on the phone and refer to you as "The
              law firm of Friedman and Lawler," (inserting yours and your partner's -
              should you have one - names.) And you overdue fines will support the
              building of a new library one day, with inadequate handicapped parking.

              Trust me.

            • Alex Picchetti
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002
                >Trust me.
                *cracks up*

                I guess I have to, huh? Didn't (don't?) you work as a librarian?

                Either way, guess I have a mission for winter break... ^^ (Ewww, overdue fees...)

                -Alex
              • Jared Stricof
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 2, 2002

                  Hehe, funny. Very reminiscent of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

                  -Shannon

                  "Thou shalt lobest thy holy hand grenade and watchest as thine enemies are blown into tiny bits"

                   Erica Friedman wrote:

                  >But, my library has this neat thing where it searches the databases of the
                  >four libraries in the immediate area, and if any of them have it it comes
                  >up... and, nothing came up.
                  >But, I will be valiant in my search! Or something. ^^

                  Walk thyself to the "reader's Services" Desk of thy library. )Or call them -
                  they are in the phone book...and may even be on the internet.) Say these
                  magic words, "I would like to ILL a book. How do i go about it?"

                  The whacked out, insane person behind the desk, who dresses funny, may well
                  have a terrible hairpiece and a strange look in his/her eye, will show you
                  the process. You will follow the directions. The books will come in from a
                  library far, far away from your town, and you can ponder over the
                  inscription "Pensacola Town Library," wondering why on earth the good people
                  of Pensacola would have this book in their library, but not you in yours.

                  You will read the book. You will return it to your library and you will
                  repeat the steps...endlessly. Until the people at the front desk and
                  Reader's Services know you by voice on the phone and refer to you as "The
                  law firm of Friedman and Lawler," (inserting yours and your partner's -
                  should you have one - names.) And you overdue fines will support the
                  building of a new library one day, with inadequate handicapped parking.

                  Trust me.

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 3, 2002
                    >From: "Alex Picchetti" <nuriseiya@...>

                    >I guess I have to, huh? Didn't (don't?) you work as a librarian?

                    Corporate. I don't do ILL, except for myself. :-)

                  • Kathryn Williams
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 5, 2002
                      One question is does that work the same in Canada as in the US???

                      Kat

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 7, 2002
                        >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

                        >One question is does that work the same in Canada as in the US???

                        Depends on the library, but I bet that Toronto has at least a few good
                        libraries. :-)

                      • cricharddavies
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 7, 2002
                          --- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:
                          > One question is does that work the same in Canada as in the US???

                          Of course not.

                          It works *better*.

                          Chris Davies.
                        • Johann Chua
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 7, 2002
                            At 07:04 PM 10/07/2002 -0000, cricharddavies wrote:
                            >--- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:
                            >> One question is does that work the same in Canada as in the US???
                            >
                            >Of course not.
                            >
                            >It works *better*.

                            As I'd expect of the country that produced Laura Bertram:

                            http://www.laurabertram.net/
                          • Tim BonuraII
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 8, 2002
                              --- Johann Chua <cjchua@...> wrote:
                              > At 07:04 PM 10/07/2002 -0000, cricharddavies wrote:
                              > >--- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams"
                              > <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:
                              > >> One question is does that work the same in Canada
                              > as in the US???
                              > >
                              > >Of course not.
                              > >
                              > >It works *better*.
                              >
                              > As I'd expect of the country that produced Laura
                              > Bertram:
                              >
                              > http://www.laurabertram.net/
                              > --
                              > Johann Chua -- HP:
                              > http://www.geocities.com/fuuma_1999/
                              > "Does anything last forever? Does love? Does pain?
                              > I'll
                              > tell you when I'm a thousand years old." Karen
                              > Kunawicz

                              Exellent point :)

                              =====
                              Sincer,

                              Tim II- Challenger

                              http://faith.yahoo.com
                            • Alyssa Hines
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 8, 2002
                                http://www.enokifilmsusa.com/library/ursula.htm

                                its called ursula's kisses and will official be aired
                                on australian cable tv, abc fly channel

                                all the traces of homosexuality have been completely
                                removed!!!!!! (which means they have screwed with eps
                                7, 13, 17, 28 & 29)

                                its outrageous isnt it?

                                =====
                                Daniel Johns Is God SILVERCHIAR

                                http://mobile.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
                                - Always be connected to your Messenger Friends
                              • Shannon J. L.
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 8, 2002
                                  Sweatdrops...
                                  I saw that once, and never hoped to see it again. The evil... the
                                  evil... I'm sure Akio is behind this. Or Shiori, whichever.

                                  Shane :)

                                  --- In Yuricon@y..., Alyssa Hines
                                  <lemon_lime_orange_fruit_drink@y...> wrote:
                                  > http://www.enokifilmsusa.com/library/ursula.htm
                                • PGit
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 8, 2002
                                    Oh, this is a dark day indeed. It gives me severe
                                    headpain to see the major basis of any work be so
                                    completely subverted, and moreso when I'm writing a
                                    term paper on women/nature cyborg identity, of which
                                    Utena is a startlingly brilliant and shining example.

                                    Bastards, one and all.
                                    ~ Alex (aka PGit)
                                    "The cats of course steadfastly denied ever having had
                                    any name other than those self-given, unspoken..."

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 8, 2002
                                      sad arent they??? hmm i wonder what they would do if
                                      they dot a hold of adolecence of utena

                                      --- PGit <ego_and_id@...> wrote: > Oh, this is a

                                      =====
                                      Daniel Johns Is God SILVERCHIAR

                                      http://mobile.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
                                      - Always be connected to your Messenger Friends
                                    • the_judy_justice
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 9, 2002
                                        --- In Yuricon@y..., Alyssa Hines
                                        <lemon_lime_orange_fruit_drink@y...> wrote:
                                        > http://www.enokifilmsusa.com/library/ursula.htm
                                        >
                                        > its called ursula's kisses and will official be aired
                                        > on australian cable tv, abc fly channel
                                        >
                                        > all the traces of homosexuality have been completely
                                        > removed!!!!!! (which means they have screwed with eps
                                        > 7, 13, 17, 28 & 29)
                                        >

                                        > its outrageous isnt it?
                                        >
                                        > =====
                                        > Daniel Johns Is God SILVERCHIAR
                                        >
                                        > http://mobile.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
                                        > - Always be connected to your Messenger Friends

                                        -sweatdrops-

                                        -swallows-

                                        Wow... I can't believe that. I had to check the website itsif to make
                                        sure it wasn't a joke.

                                        Ahem. I wouldn't be proud to be American. ^_-

                                        And also...
                                        Have you noticed?

                                        "Silver Mask:
                                        A member of the "The Seekers of Armageddon." No one knows his/her
                                        true identity.

                                        Pazolini:
                                        The leader of the troop sent by "The Seekers of Armageddon."

                                        Lady June:
                                        The evil princess commanding the troop. Cool and merciless."

                                        What is that??!! Does anyone know? Are they really supposed to be
                                        SKU's characters?
                                        I always wondered about the carousel in the opening... There's
                                        nothing like that carousel in the french version.

                                        Ahem... Do we have been abused as well?

                                        -Judy (going off to bed to dream of a carousel)