[Yuricon] Info for anyone attending Ani-magic

  • Sephiroth
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 23, 2002
      This e-mail was on the AMV mailing list but i think that anyone who's
      planning on attending Ani-magic should read this message.

      "This e-mail is to inform people who have plans to attend Ani-Magic of
      illegal actions that may be forced upon you.

      The staff have plans to search any room they feel like it. Quote
      from Revell Ani-Magic Con-head 9/23/02: ...our senior staff
      leadership DO have the authorization to check any room we see fit.

      He also believes, Quote from Revell 9/23/02: We CAN check room
      parties on the property of the AVI for illegal activities. The hotel
      wants and expects it. ... They are not an extension of your privacy
      rights.

      Protecting people is a noble thing to do, but the actions Revell is
      trying to take are ILLEGAL, so know your rights.

      An occupant of a hotel or motel room is entitled to the Fourth
      Amendment protection against unreasonable searches and seizures.
      Const 1963, Art 1 Sec 11, US Const, Am 4
      442 Mich 1; 497 NW2d 910 (1993), cert den 508 US 947; 113 S Ct 2432;
      124 L Ed 2d 652 (1993)

      Basically a hotel room may not be searched unless a warrent is
      presented or the Hotel OWNER gives consent. (Consent can only be
      given to a police officer, not some third party such as the
      convention staff.) If you do not wish your hotel room searched at
      Ani-Magic then be sure to send this information on to others.

      If you wish further information on your legal rights conserning hotel
      room privacy do a search on the internet, or contact me and I'll send
      you the information I have.

      Anneke"
    • Eleanor Stevens
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 23, 2002
        --- Sephiroth <fischer@...> wrote:

        > The staff have plans to search any room they feel
        > like it. Quote
        > from Revell Ani-Magic Con-head 9/23/02: ...our
        > senior staff
        > leadership DO have the authorization to check any
        > room we see fit.
        First off as one of the Dept. Heads of this convention
        I would like to humbly apologize to anyone this has
        offended. Secondly the idea of that whole thing was to
        search for people giving alcohol to minors. It may
        seem jerkish to do, but it's really so 15 year olds
        don't get sloshed and do something they will regret.
        It's also to keep those young un's from getting into
        sticky situations with some of our more err...
        "Peculiar" attendees. Ani-Magic is located in
        Lancaster and it's very small town with extremely too
        much Christian influence. We've had gatherings and
        clubs broken up by friendly neighborhood mobs of
        evangelicals who use the ploy of Underage sex and
        Drinking to explain why they put they're pitchforks
        into the local "weirdoes" as we are so deemed. I am in
        no way con doing the polices of An-Magic I'm just
        saying every coin has two sides. With that out of the
        way to anyone who feels offended while at the con by
        this I will personally bake you brownies as a sign of
        goodwill and peace. So do make you comments on this
        con policy but try to keep the swearing to a minimum.
        I don't want anyone mad at Anyone for silly reasons.

        =====
        ~Tita

        "It's Showtime!"-Tita (Plastic Little the Adventures of Captain Tita)

        http://www.mindmeld.iwarp.com

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Sephiroth
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 23, 2002

          >First off as one of the Dept. Heads of this convention
          >I would like to humbly apologize to anyone this has
          >offended. Secondly the idea of that whole thing was to
          >search for people giving alcohol to minors. It may
          >seem jerkish to do, but it's really so 15 year olds
          >don't get sloshed and do something they will regret.
          >It's also to keep those young un's from getting into
          >sticky situations with some of our more err...
          >"Peculiar" attendees. Ani-Magic is located in
          >Lancaster and it's very small town with extremely too
          >much Christian influence. We've had gatherings and
          >clubs broken up by friendly neighborhood mobs of
          >evangelicals who use the ploy of Underage sex and
          >Drinking to explain why they put they're pitchforks
          >into the local "weirdoes" as we are so deemed. I am in
          >no way con doing the polices of An-Magic I'm just
          >saying every coin has two sides. With that out of the
          >way to anyone who feels offended while at the con by
          >this I will personally bake you brownies as a sign of
          >goodwill and peace. So do make you comments on this
          >con policy but try to keep the swearing to a minimum.
          >I don't want anyone mad at Anyone for silly reasons.
          >
          >=====
          >~Tita
          >
          >"It's Showtime!"-Tita (Plastic Little the Adventures of Captain Tita)
          >
          >http://www.mindmeld.iwarp.com

          Of coarse I do not fault you. However whatever the reason allowing the
          staff to have there way with people's rooms is wrong. The reason it is
          illegal is because despite the number of people who would really be
          after such things and thus would be considered "good" people. The number
          of "Bad" people who would abuse such a thing is bigger. So i hope you
          understand but i am in the process of looking up the local authorities
          in the Area ani-magic is in and having them deal with it. I would
          suggest a change of managment though, for the convention. As i would not
          like to see an entire con go down because of a few people who are
          abusive idiots. Perhaps some of the lesser staff should call a meeting
          and have a vote to if not replace the people responcible for such farce.
          To at least override the decition.

          I will say that you couldn't pay me to go to Ani-magic now, even if
          you would give me GOH status i would not go. Well best of luck to you I
          would rather have it that you were running the con. As the actions of
          the people in charge put a very bad name to anime cons.
        • Sephiroth
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 23, 2002
            Allright, after talking to the local police of lancaster. If it's
            under contract that by attending the event, that it says tyou allow the
            con staff to search your room then by going to the event you agree to it
            and it is not illegal. So basicly there has to be some sort of consent
            from the people attending the event that the con staff can search there
            rooms. If there is not then it very well is illegal. Standard hotel
            guests on the other hand since there not attending the convention and
            are simply staying at the hotel thus not agreeing to any contract by
            Ani-magic likely means that search of there rooms would be very illegal.
            Last the Sherif i talked to said that if you feel that your rights are
            being violated then don't go. Which I plan on fallowing by not attending
            a convention with such a policy. I will be keeping an eye on ani-magic
            and if I hear that there was no concent about searches given I will
            encourage them to report it to the proper authorities. That is all.
          • Kathryn Williams
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 24, 2002
              Wasn't planning to go anymore anyways, I have to many other things to worry
              about then small town mentality.

              jaa ne

              Kat

            • ProjectJ681ZERO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 24, 2002
                <PRE>I am confused by all this... Maybe I missed something but why would they
                search rooms? That doesnt make any sence to me.
              • Dana G.
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 24, 2002
                  is the con in america? sorry for asking, but i'm otu of it when it comes to
                  cons, but anyway, if it is, i mean hasn't even one there heard of the 4th
                  amendment that protects our citizens from unreasonable search and seizure.
                  they have to have probable cause methinsk... anyway, knowiing my day,
                  i'mprobably wrong so just disregard this whole thing.

                  >First off as one of the Dept. Heads of this convention
                  >I would like to humbly apologize to anyone this has
                  >offended. Secondly the idea of that whole thing was to
                  >search for people giving alcohol to minors. It may
                  >seem jerkish to do, but it's really so 15 year olds
                  >don't get sloshed and do something they will regret.
                  >It's also to keep those young un's from getting into
                  >sticky situations with some of our more err...
                  >"Peculiar" attendees. Ani-Magic is located in
                  >Lancaster and it's very small town with extremely too
                  >much Christian influence. We've had gatherings and
                  >clubs broken up by friendly neighborhood mobs of
                  >evangelicals who use the ploy of Underage sex and
                  >Drinking to explain why they put they're pitchforks
                  >into the local "weirdoes" as we are so deemed. I am in
                  >no way con doing the polices of An-Magic I'm just
                  >saying every coin has two sides. With that out of the
                  >way to anyone who feels offended while at the con by
                  >this I will personally bake you brownies as a sign of
                  >goodwill and peace. So do make you comments on this
                  >con policy but try to keep the swearing to a minimum.
                  >I don't want anyone mad at Anyone for silly reasons.
                  >
                  >=====
                  >~Tita
                  >
                  >"It's Showtime!"-Tita (Plastic Little the Adventures of Captain Tita)
                  >
                  >http://www.mindmeld.iwarp.com

                  Of coarse I do not fault you. However whatever the reason allowing the
                  staff to have there way with people's rooms is wrong. The reason it is
                  illegal is because despite the number of people who would really be
                  after such things and thus would be considered "good" people. The number
                  of "Bad" people who would abuse such a thing is bigger. So i hope you
                  understand but i am in the process of looking up the local authorities
                  in the Area ani-magic is in and having them deal with it. I would
                  suggest a change of managment though, for the convention. As i would not
                  like to see an entire con go down because of a few people who are
                  abusive idiots. Perhaps some of the lesser staff should call a meeting
                  and have a vote to if not replace the people responcible for such farce.
                  To at least override the decition.

                  I will say that you couldn't pay me to go to Ani-magic now, even if
                  you would give me GOH status i would not go. Well best of luck to you I
                  would rather have it that you were running the con. As the actions of
                  the people in charge put a very bad name to anime cons.

                  "Your absence has gone through me
                  Like thread through a needle.
                  Everything I do is stitched with its color"

                  "The boat delicately graced the surface of the serene lake exactly the way a
                  bowling ball wouldn't..."

                  "His disappearance was as noticed as the disappearance of the period after
                  the Dr in Dr Pepper..."

                  "Caffeine is my sheperd: I shall not doze.
                  It maketh me to wake in green pastures:
                  It leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.
                  It restoreth my buzz:
                  It leadeth me in the paths of consciousness for its name's sake.
                  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of addiction
                  I will fear no Equal(tm):
                  For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar comfort me.
                  Thou preparest a carafe by me in the presence of Juan Valdez.
                  Thou anointest my day with pep: my mug runneth over.
                  Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life:
                  And I shall dwell in the House of Maxwell forever.
                  Amen."

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 25, 2002
                    >From: "Dana G." <snebula32@...>

                    is the con in america?

                    In California.

                    sorry for asking, but i'm otu of it when it comes to
                    >cons, but anyway, if it is, i mean hasn't even one there heard of the 4th
                    >amendment that protects our citizens from unreasonable search and seizure.

                    The key word there is *unreasonable.*