Re: [Yuricon] AXNY/BAAf report

  • Ryu Hanibashi
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002

          hello, i was a tech staff at axny, and i thought you made some great points in your discussion on fanfiction. although i'm not gay,bisexual or transexual, i like yuri anime so i'm actually considering going to yuricon.

           actually the fanfiction workshop was schedule until 5PM, but i don't know what happened, and yes there was a good number of people there at the workshop, but 50 to 60 people is exagerating a bit.

       i think the only way i would go to yuricon, is if i can find someone to go with me. maybe i girl that also likes yuri anime, or a guy. i would prefer a girl though.

       Erica Friedman wrote:

      Hi folks. I would be all recovered fromn this weekend if it weren't for the
      fact that work is appalling today and I'm PMSing. Oh well.

      I have to say that I was SO not looking forward to this con. I love NYC, but
      there are so many things to do in the city that sitting for three days
      straight in a hot Dealer's Room in a hotel is not high on my list. That
      having been said, it may well have been the best con of the season for
      Yuricon...

      I can't tell you if BAAF or AXNY were successful or fun. I attended neither.
      What I did was rent, in conjunction with Shoujocon and Anime Next, a table
      in the DR. All three cons have a cooperative policy and we share staff on
      several levels. But we learned this weekend that not only can we coopoerate
      as cons - we actually like each other. A very good thing when you're crammed
      behind a table for three days. :-)

      Saturday started *very* early for me, as I had a meeting with a potential
      corporate sponsor. I won't say much other than it went very well and there's
      some exciting opportunities that came from the meeting - all of which ought
      to be very good for Yuricon, as well as the sponsor. That meeting brought
      one or two personal triumphs, too, which was nice. :-) Keyword "Yoroshiku" -
      ask me when you see me in person. LOL

      The rest of the day went slowly. :-) Stacy came by to give me a hand at the
      table, for which I am eternally grateful! Saturday ended with a bunch of us
      from YC and SJC going out to dinner. I went home and got a foot rub.

      Sunday - I had two panels on Sunday, so luckily, along with Stacy, Lev and
      Sara had offered to help out at the table. The first panel was the
      Yaoi/Yuri, with which SJC Con Chair Paulette Hodge assisted - thank the
      gods. It was fun, and we cut it short, because there weren't a ton of
      questions. On the west coast it was all screaming fangirls wondering when
      various series were out...here is it was guys asking about fangirls'
      motivation for liking yaoi. We did have an American voice actor with an
      upcoming role in the dub of Yami No Matsuei asking alot of questions - that
      was kinda cool. But afterwords I met a very interested and interesting young
      woman and we talked for about the next hour - so that made that all
      worthwhile. I'm hoping we'll see more of her. I should hire her as the
      Yuricon booth babe. LOL

      I had *just* enough time to snarf down some lunch and get over to the Fanfic
      Panel. This panel was really odd - three of the four of us had been on the
      panel at AX in Long Beach - where we had disagreed about almost everything.
      Here, we agreed on almost everything! It was kind of funny. The questions
      were oddly redundant - as if the first time we answered a question wasn't
      enough, we had to answer the same question three more times. Big thanks to
      Lev, Sara and Stacy who watched the table in my absence.

      And double extra big hugs to Stacy who befriended all of Viz on our behalf.
      I spoke to Julie Davis, editor-in-chief of Animerica at length and learned
      that she had been there when I presented the Utena movie in SF - and liked
      my presentation. She mentions Yuricon in this issue's editorial column - and
      we may get some play in the future, too. So keep eyes peeled and fingers
      crossed. :-) Yay Stacy! (Oh and BTW, Stacy - the editor you thought was
      cute, really is, so good luck on that, too. LOL)

      We blew out of there to go out to dinner again, this time with all of the AN
      crowd, too along with the same cast of characters from YC and SJC. We had a
      really nice time talking about shared staff. LOL And the moral is - yes, con
      chairs DO talk to each other, so don't think we don't know who you are. LOL
      (In most cases, con chairs attend ALOT of other cons, so we know shared
      staff anyway and see how people handle things. And don't forget - con chairs
      are frequently staff on other cons...this is a horribly incestuous
      business.)

      Monday was much more laid back. I manned the table myself, along with Eugene
      and Doug (the vice chair and con chair from Anime Next) and they, I and
      Paulette and Angela (Vice chair for Shoujocon) all went to the "Con Summit"
      where we listened to some interesting (and not always accurate) con gossip
      and made references to a particular in joke we all find funny at the
      moment...and generally wasted two hours on politics, inside jokes and
      useless info that means alot when you're trying to run a con. LOL

      Anime cons are built on the "who you know" principle. Hence my insane
      schedule this summer. It's all relationships and favors and nepotism and we
      all know it. It's just like a real business - playing golf IS where the
      business goes on.

      As we left the "summit" we learned that the vendors (who had obviously been
      told to expect more attendees than showed) were giving away magazines. So
      Yuricon has 3 cases of "Newtype" I have to get rid of...I think we'll have
      freebies at our next party. :-) (Note: My house now officially looks like a
      "Con Chair" house - with posters, pictures, auction items and cases and
      cases of magazines in the place. LOL) I was a nice guy and offered to store
      some of SJC's and AN's stuff too, because I have a garage I can't use for a
      car.

      We received a picture as a gift that I want to scan in and show you all, too
      - Kat Avila, ajournalist, drew a lovely picture that was inspired by the
      drive that powers Yuricon and she gave it to me on Monday. A lovely gesture
      that is greatly appreciated. Thanks Kat. :-)

      I also sent some time on Monday schmoozing the very lovely young woman who
      was selling AXNY t-shirts. She gave me a pin. :-) Paulette came over and
      yelled at me to get back to work and I said, "I run *Yuri*con - this *is* my
      work!" To her credit, the chick laughed too. She was very cool.

      After everything was over, I was scheduled to run a Fanfic Workshop. Now,
      the rest of the con basically shut down at 3 and my workshop started at 3,
      so I figured that no one would come, having the good sense to realize it was
      over...so I'd be able to go home. I was SO wrong. There had to be 50-60
      people in that workshop. I was stunned.

      So, I ran through my workshop, bleating out pearls of wisdom - and I have to
      say that some of the questions struck me as if, in fact, they *did*
      understand my points, which was heartening. I was just taking questions and
      was told by staff that despite the schedule, which gave me another 40
      minutes, we were outta there, so, I wrapped it up, grabbed the multitude of
      cases of magazines, loaded up my car, said goodbye to Eugene and Paulette
      and went home for a very nice, relaxing dinner with my wife.

      Summation: For Yuricon, and for me personally, I think this con was by far
      and away the most successful of the season. And it's opened up many exciting
      new possibilities.

      Next up: Anime Next in Secaucus NJ Oct. 11-13 - we'll need volunteers,
      because we'll have a table in the DR. Let us know if you can help out!

      4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/cGIolB/TM

      Do You Yahoo!?

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
        >From: Ryu Hanibashi <crimsonblade18@...>

        > hello, i was a tech staff at axny, and i thought you made some great
        >points in your discussion on fanfiction. although i'm not gay,bisexual or
        >transexual, i like yuri anime so i'm actually considering going to yuricon.

        That's great - welcome to the list.]

        > actually the fanfiction workshop was schedule until 5PM, but i don't
        >know what happened, and yes there was a good number of people there at the
        >workshop, but 50 to 60 people is exagerating a bit.

        Over the course of the hour and a half. We had alot of transients in and
        out. :-) But I am prone to exaggeration, so I'll assume you're correct.