Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
      > From: "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
      > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:58:00 -0400
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
      >
      >> From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>
      >

      >> Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've found. I've
      >> actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content in Utena or all
      >> things.
      >
      > I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really gay,
      > because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made me laugh. :-)

      Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues to
      say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
      interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
      of whether they can be supported or not.

      >> btw, I've never heard of a US Newtype before. What is it just a translation
      >> of the orginal Newtype or something?
      >

      > It's new - coming out just now. It *supposed* to be a transaltion of the
      > Japanese mag, coming out a week afterwards. I bet Animerica's circulation
      > drops by half that first week.

      I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
      reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines. I'll have to look at it
      again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
      specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
      for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
      here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
      Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

      --= =--
      Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
        >From: "dziwozony" <dziwozony@...>

        >Ahhh, I see. As long as you don't *say* you're queer, you can kiss
        >all the women you want while riding naked on a weird motorized
        >bobsled thing....

        Street luge, Jude. Modified, of course because it's got no, oh, *engine* and
        is primarily composed of an exhaust pipe, but hey, who's looking. :-)

        But yes, that's apparently so.

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
          >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

          >Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues
          >say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
          >interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
          >of whether they can be supported or not.

          Which flies in the face of the schedule of about 6 Gay and lesbian Film
          Festiuvals he's shopping the movie at and the comments he's making about it
          being about two women coming to terms with tier relationship. :-)

          >I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
          >reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines. I'll have to look at it
          >again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
          >specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
          >for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
          >here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
          >Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

          Yes - they would rewrite the titels and things - but the content is the same
          content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of course they would not do a
          word-for-word transaltion or it would read funny. :-)

        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
            > From: "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
            > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 14:21:51 -0400
            > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
            >
            >> From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
            >
            >> Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues
            >> say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
            >> interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
            >> of whether they can be supported or not.
            >
            > Which flies in the face of the schedule of about 6 Gay and lesbian Film
            > Festiuvals he's shopping the movie at and the comments he's making about it
            > being about two women coming to terms with tier relationship. :-)

            Well, I guess he isn't continuing to say that now, is he? Maybe I should pay
            more attention to what's being said. I'll shut up now.

            --= =--
            Chalcahuite
          • Sephiroth
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002

              I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
              reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines.  I'll have to look at it
              again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
              specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
              for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
              here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
              Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

              Yes - they would rewrite the titels and things - but the content is the same
              content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of course they would not do a
              word-for-word transaltion or it would read funny. :-)

              Then you'd have a reply like this for the topic..
              What you say. Distrubing is it. Person act Children like. Delete topic, Utena topic, chages lot love Touga to Anthy. Delete topic, Writer of artical topic, fool he is. Done my comment it.

            • Lotus-chan
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                8< snip snip >8

                > but the content is the same
                > >content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of

                Sorry if this is redundant, but...is it safe to assume
                that they'll also be printing the same mangas in the
                issues that the Japanese one prints? I'm guessing so,
                if they're already doing write ups on anime series
                that haven't been released here yet...

                Thanks! ^_^

                -me

                http://health.yahoo.com
              • borg9of9235
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                  --- In Yuricon@y..., Lotus-chan <indigo_veil@y...> wrote:

                  > 8< snip snip >8
                  >
                  > > but the content is the same
                  > > >content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of
                  >
                  > Sorry if this is redundant, but...is it safe to assume
                  > that they'll also be printing the same mangas in the
                  > issues that the Japanese one prints? I'm guessing so,
                  > if they're already doing write ups on anime series
                  > that haven't been released here yet...

                  Actually, I don't think so. They own the rights to the newtype
                  material, but the included manga are owned by the creator/publisher
                  and would require seperate rights. Also, some of the stuff in the US
                  version of Newtype is original, but a lot is translated from the
                  japanese version.

                  kage-kun
                  "ookami wa ookami"
                • Lotus-chan
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                    8< snip snip >8

                    > material, but the included manga are owned by the
                    > creator/publisher
                    > and would require seperate rights.

                    Coo'. that's what I thought too, so I decided to ask
                    to see if anyone on the ML knows for sure. ^^;;
                    Thanks for the response--now I just have to decide if
                    I need two subscriptions to the same magazine...

                    Christina

                    http://health.yahoo.com