Re: Noir yuri site of the day

  • dziwozony
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
      --- In Yuricon@y..., "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:
      > >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...>
      > >Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've
      > > found. I've actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content
      > > in Utena or all things.
      > I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really
      > gay, because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made
      > me laugh. :-)

      Ahhh, I see. As long as you don't *say* you're queer, you can kiss
      all the women you want while riding naked on a weird motorized
      bobsled thing....

      Jude

      -=-=-=-=-
      Shadows in the Rose Garden: Utena Lit Crit and Fan Fic
      http://www.broomstick.org/utena
    • Chalcahuite
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
        > From: "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
        > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:58:00 -0400
        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
        >
        >> From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>
        >

        >> Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've found. I've
        >> actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content in Utena or all
        >> things.
        >
        > I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really gay,
        > because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made me laugh. :-)

        Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues to
        say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
        interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
        of whether they can be supported or not.

        >> btw, I've never heard of a US Newtype before. What is it just a translation
        >> of the orginal Newtype or something?
        >

        > It's new - coming out just now. It *supposed* to be a transaltion of the
        > Japanese mag, coming out a week afterwards. I bet Animerica's circulation
        > drops by half that first week.

        I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
        reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines. I'll have to look at it
        again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
        specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
        for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
        here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
        Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

        --= =--
        Chalcahuite
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
          >From: "dziwozony" <dziwozony@...>

          >Ahhh, I see. As long as you don't *say* you're queer, you can kiss
          >all the women you want while riding naked on a weird motorized
          >bobsled thing....

          Street luge, Jude. Modified, of course because it's got no, oh, *engine* and
          is primarily composed of an exhaust pipe, but hey, who's looking. :-)

          But yes, that's apparently so.

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
            >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

            >Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues
            >say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
            >interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
            >of whether they can be supported or not.

            Which flies in the face of the schedule of about 6 Gay and lesbian Film
            Festiuvals he's shopping the movie at and the comments he's making about it
            being about two women coming to terms with tier relationship. :-)

            >I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
            >reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines. I'll have to look at it
            >again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
            >specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
            >for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
            >here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
            >Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

            Yes - they would rewrite the titels and things - but the content is the same
            content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of course they would not do a
            word-for-word transaltion or it would read funny. :-)

          • Chalcahuite
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
              > From: "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
              > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 14:21:51 -0400
              > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
              >
              >> From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
              >
              >> Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues
              >> say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
              >> interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
              >> of whether they can be supported or not.
              >
              > Which flies in the face of the schedule of about 6 Gay and lesbian Film
              > Festiuvals he's shopping the movie at and the comments he's making about it
              > being about two women coming to terms with tier relationship. :-)

              Well, I guess he isn't continuing to say that now, is he? Maybe I should pay
              more attention to what's being said. I'll shut up now.

              --= =--
              Chalcahuite
            • Sephiroth
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002

                I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
                reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines.  I'll have to look at it
                again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
                specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
                for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
                here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
                Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

                Yes - they would rewrite the titels and things - but the content is the same
                content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of course they would not do a
                word-for-word transaltion or it would read funny. :-)

                Then you'd have a reply like this for the topic..
                What you say. Distrubing is it. Person act Children like. Delete topic, Utena topic, chages lot love Touga to Anthy. Delete topic, Writer of artical topic, fool he is. Done my comment it.

              • Lotus-chan
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                  8< snip snip >8

                  > but the content is the same
                  > >content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of

                  Sorry if this is redundant, but...is it safe to assume
                  that they'll also be printing the same mangas in the
                  issues that the Japanese one prints? I'm guessing so,
                  if they're already doing write ups on anime series
                  that haven't been released here yet...

                  Thanks! ^_^

                  -me

                  http://health.yahoo.com
                • borg9of9235
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                    --- In Yuricon@y..., Lotus-chan <indigo_veil@y...> wrote:

                    > 8< snip snip >8
                    >
                    > > but the content is the same
                    > > >content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of
                    >
                    > Sorry if this is redundant, but...is it safe to assume
                    > that they'll also be printing the same mangas in the
                    > issues that the Japanese one prints? I'm guessing so,
                    > if they're already doing write ups on anime series
                    > that haven't been released here yet...

                    Actually, I don't think so. They own the rights to the newtype
                    material, but the included manga are owned by the creator/publisher
                    and would require seperate rights. Also, some of the stuff in the US
                    version of Newtype is original, but a lot is translated from the
                    japanese version.

                    kage-kun
                    "ookami wa ookami"
                  • Lotus-chan
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                      8< snip snip >8

                      > material, but the included manga are owned by the
                      > creator/publisher
                      > and would require seperate rights.

                      Coo'. that's what I thought too, so I decided to ask
                      to see if anyone on the ML knows for sure. ^^;;
                      Thanks for the response--now I just have to decide if
                      I need two subscriptions to the same magazine...

                      Christina

                      http://health.yahoo.com