Re: Noir yuri site of the day

  • gaffneys_99
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
      --- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:
      > Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've
      > found.

      I have, in fact, left a Noir ML as they asked me to not discus yuri
      in the show. The message board is even worse, as they don't mind
      yuri content in discussion - but only for Chloe or Mireille. Because
      Kirika is too sweet and innocent to be a lesbian. :-D

      I worry, when Noir hits these shores, that Kirika will become a Juri
      or Ukyou character - a 'fanboy untouchable' that is so revered by the
      fan community that I grow weary of them and lose any interest I may
      have had. Noir isn't even out here yet and already the Kirika
      fanboys scare me...

      --SG
      --currently without email, and annoyed about it...
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
        >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

        >Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've found. I've
        >actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content in Utena or all
        >things.

        I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really gay,
        because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made me laugh. :-)

        >btw, I've never heard of a US Newtype before. What is it just a translation
        >of the orginal Newtype or something?

        It's new - coming out just now. It *supposed* to be a transaltion of the
        Japanese mag, coming out a week afterwards. I bet Animerica's circulation
        drops by half that first week.

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
          >From: "gaffneys_99" <sean@...>

          >I have, in fact, left a Noir ML as they asked me to not discus yuri
          >in the show. The message board is even worse, as they don't mind
          >yuri content in discussion - but only for Chloe or Mireille. Because
          >Kirika is too sweet and innocent to be a lesbian. :-D

          Heheheh. But, these same people can't stop reading (and saying how appalling
          it is) my story. LOL

          >I worry, when Noir hits these shores, that Kirika will become a Juri
          >or Ukyou character - a 'fanboy untouchable' that is so revered by the
          >fan community that I grow weary of them and lose any interest I may
          >have had. Noir isn't even out here yet and already the Kirika
          >fanboys scare me...

          One more reason to avoid fandom in general. :-) I just watch anime, read
          manga and enjoy it...ans occasionally write scary Kekko kamen or Weather
          Report Girl fics.

        • dziwozony
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
            --- In Yuricon@y..., "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:
            > >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...>
            > >Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've
            > > found. I've actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content
            > > in Utena or all things.
            > I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really
            > gay, because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made
            > me laugh. :-)

            Ahhh, I see. As long as you don't *say* you're queer, you can kiss
            all the women you want while riding naked on a weird motorized
            bobsled thing....

            Jude

            -=-=-=-=-
            Shadows in the Rose Garden: Utena Lit Crit and Fan Fic
            http://www.broomstick.org/utena
          • Chalcahuite
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
              > From: "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
              > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:58:00 -0400
              > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
              >
              >> From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>
              >

              >> Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've found. I've
              >> actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content in Utena or all
              >> things.
              >
              > I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really gay,
              > because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made me laugh. :-)

              Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues to
              say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
              interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
              of whether they can be supported or not.

              >> btw, I've never heard of a US Newtype before. What is it just a translation
              >> of the orginal Newtype or something?
              >

              > It's new - coming out just now. It *supposed* to be a transaltion of the
              > Japanese mag, coming out a week afterwards. I bet Animerica's circulation
              > drops by half that first week.

              I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
              reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines. I'll have to look at it
              again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
              specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
              for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
              here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
              Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

              --= =--
              Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                >From: "dziwozony" <dziwozony@...>

                >Ahhh, I see. As long as you don't *say* you're queer, you can kiss
                >all the women you want while riding naked on a weird motorized
                >bobsled thing....

                Street luge, Jude. Modified, of course because it's got no, oh, *engine* and
                is primarily composed of an exhaust pipe, but hey, who's looking. :-)

                But yes, that's apparently so.

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                  >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

                  >Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues
                  >say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
                  >interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
                  >of whether they can be supported or not.

                  Which flies in the face of the schedule of about 6 Gay and lesbian Film
                  Festiuvals he's shopping the movie at and the comments he's making about it
                  being about two women coming to terms with tier relationship. :-)

                  >I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
                  >reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines. I'll have to look at it
                  >again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
                  >specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
                  >for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
                  >here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
                  >Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

                  Yes - they would rewrite the titels and things - but the content is the same
                  content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of course they would not do a
                  word-for-word transaltion or it would read funny. :-)

                • Chalcahuite
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                    > From: "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
                    > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 14:21:51 -0400
                    > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
                    >
                    >> From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                    >
                    >> Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues
                    >> say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
                    >> interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
                    >> of whether they can be supported or not.
                    >
                    > Which flies in the face of the schedule of about 6 Gay and lesbian Film
                    > Festiuvals he's shopping the movie at and the comments he's making about it
                    > being about two women coming to terms with tier relationship. :-)

                    Well, I guess he isn't continuing to say that now, is he? Maybe I should pay
                    more attention to what's being said. I'll shut up now.

                    --= =--
                    Chalcahuite
                  • Sephiroth
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002

                      I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
                      reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines.  I'll have to look at it
                      again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
                      specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
                      for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
                      here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
                      Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

                      Yes - they would rewrite the titels and things - but the content is the same
                      content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of course they would not do a
                      word-for-word transaltion or it would read funny. :-)

                      Then you'd have a reply like this for the topic..
                      What you say. Distrubing is it. Person act Children like. Delete topic, Utena topic, chages lot love Touga to Anthy. Delete topic, Writer of artical topic, fool he is. Done my comment it.

                    • Lotus-chan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                        8< snip snip >8

                        > but the content is the same
                        > >content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of

                        Sorry if this is redundant, but...is it safe to assume
                        that they'll also be printing the same mangas in the
                        issues that the Japanese one prints? I'm guessing so,
                        if they're already doing write ups on anime series
                        that haven't been released here yet...

                        Thanks! ^_^

                        -me

                        http://health.yahoo.com
                      • borg9of9235
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                          --- In Yuricon@y..., Lotus-chan <indigo_veil@y...> wrote:

                          > 8< snip snip >8
                          >
                          > > but the content is the same
                          > > >content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of
                          >
                          > Sorry if this is redundant, but...is it safe to assume
                          > that they'll also be printing the same mangas in the
                          > issues that the Japanese one prints? I'm guessing so,
                          > if they're already doing write ups on anime series
                          > that haven't been released here yet...

                          Actually, I don't think so. They own the rights to the newtype
                          material, but the included manga are owned by the creator/publisher
                          and would require seperate rights. Also, some of the stuff in the US
                          version of Newtype is original, but a lot is translated from the
                          japanese version.

                          kage-kun
                          "ookami wa ookami"
                        • Lotus-chan
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                            8< snip snip >8

                            > material, but the included manga are owned by the
                            > creator/publisher
                            > and would require seperate rights.

                            Coo'. that's what I thought too, so I decided to ask
                            to see if anyone on the ML knows for sure. ^^;;
                            Thanks for the response--now I just have to decide if
                            I need two subscriptions to the same magazine...

                            Christina

                            http://health.yahoo.com