Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day

  • Kathryn Williams
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
      Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've found. I've
      actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content in Utena or all
      things. Also most Write ups will leave that kind of thing out because they
      don't think it is something that people want to know. I've read a write up
      on Miyuki-chan in Wonderland in which there was no mention at all of all the
      lesbian tones and just called it a twisted Alice in Wonderland tale. Hell
      reviews about my own works never mention the fact that all the girls are
      lesbians which really bothered the help out of me. This is a big reason I do
      not ready any Anime reviews and also a big reason why I like this ML. This
      is the best place to get he first news on new yrui titles >^_^<

      btw, I've never heard of a US Newtype before. What is it just a translation
      of the orginal Newtype or something?

      Well I'm off, Jaa ne

      Kat

      > I haven't seen it yet, either, but spoilers don't really affect me too
      much.
      > In fact, spoilers often have the opposite effect.
      > The preview copy of the U.S. Newtype that they were handing out at Otakon
      > had a write up on Noir. But, you couldn't tell that there was any yuri
      > content from the write up.
      >
      > --= =--
      > Chalcahuite
      >

      > > From: awill <ahwill@...>
      > > Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:33:22 -0400
      > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
      > >
      > > shanejayell2000 wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Finally saw the first four Noir's! And I can see why everbody's
      > >> raving about it!
      > >>
      > >> Shane :)

      > > Glares at Shane... don't say anything more about it. I haven't
      > > seen it yet. I think it will be out in DVD before next year's
      > > AN. I hope I can scarf Noir up at Canadian Prices while I'm
      > > there. I don't know if they sold DVDs there or not... I bought
      > > art supplies and manga because at the time I didn't have a DVD
      > > player.
      > >
      > > Byakko

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • gaffneys_99
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
        --- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:
        > Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've
        > found.

        I have, in fact, left a Noir ML as they asked me to not discus yuri
        in the show. The message board is even worse, as they don't mind
        yuri content in discussion - but only for Chloe or Mireille. Because
        Kirika is too sweet and innocent to be a lesbian. :-D

        I worry, when Noir hits these shores, that Kirika will become a Juri
        or Ukyou character - a 'fanboy untouchable' that is so revered by the
        fan community that I grow weary of them and lose any interest I may
        have had. Noir isn't even out here yet and already the Kirika
        fanboys scare me...

        --SG
        --currently without email, and annoyed about it...
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
          >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

          >Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've found. I've
          >actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content in Utena or all
          >things.

          I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really gay,
          because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made me laugh. :-)

          >btw, I've never heard of a US Newtype before. What is it just a translation
          >of the orginal Newtype or something?

          It's new - coming out just now. It *supposed* to be a transaltion of the
          Japanese mag, coming out a week afterwards. I bet Animerica's circulation
          drops by half that first week.

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
            >From: "gaffneys_99" <sean@...>

            >I have, in fact, left a Noir ML as they asked me to not discus yuri
            >in the show. The message board is even worse, as they don't mind
            >yuri content in discussion - but only for Chloe or Mireille. Because
            >Kirika is too sweet and innocent to be a lesbian. :-D

            Heheheh. But, these same people can't stop reading (and saying how appalling
            it is) my story. LOL

            >I worry, when Noir hits these shores, that Kirika will become a Juri
            >or Ukyou character - a 'fanboy untouchable' that is so revered by the
            >fan community that I grow weary of them and lose any interest I may
            >have had. Noir isn't even out here yet and already the Kirika
            >fanboys scare me...

            One more reason to avoid fandom in general. :-) I just watch anime, read
            manga and enjoy it...ans occasionally write scary Kekko kamen or Weather
            Report Girl fics.

          • dziwozony
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
              --- In Yuricon@y..., "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:
              > >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...>
              > >Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've
              > > found. I've actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content
              > > in Utena or all things.
              > I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really
              > gay, because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made
              > me laugh. :-)

              Ahhh, I see. As long as you don't *say* you're queer, you can kiss
              all the women you want while riding naked on a weird motorized
              bobsled thing....

              Jude

              -=-=-=-=-
              Shadows in the Rose Garden: Utena Lit Crit and Fan Fic
              http://www.broomstick.org/utena
            • Chalcahuite
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                > From: "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
                > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:58:00 -0400
                > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
                >
                >> From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>
                >

                >> Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've found. I've
                >> actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content in Utena or all
                >> things.
                >
                > I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really gay,
                > because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made me laugh. :-)

                Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues to
                say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
                interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
                of whether they can be supported or not.

                >> btw, I've never heard of a US Newtype before. What is it just a translation
                >> of the orginal Newtype or something?
                >

                > It's new - coming out just now. It *supposed* to be a transaltion of the
                > Japanese mag, coming out a week afterwards. I bet Animerica's circulation
                > drops by half that first week.

                I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
                reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines. I'll have to look at it
                again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
                specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
                for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
                here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
                Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

                --= =--
                Chalcahuite
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                  >From: "dziwozony" <dziwozony@...>

                  >Ahhh, I see. As long as you don't *say* you're queer, you can kiss
                  >all the women you want while riding naked on a weird motorized
                  >bobsled thing....

                  Street luge, Jude. Modified, of course because it's got no, oh, *engine* and
                  is primarily composed of an exhaust pipe, but hey, who's looking. :-)

                  But yes, that's apparently so.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                    >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

                    >Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues
                    >say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
                    >interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
                    >of whether they can be supported or not.

                    Which flies in the face of the schedule of about 6 Gay and lesbian Film
                    Festiuvals he's shopping the movie at and the comments he's making about it
                    being about two women coming to terms with tier relationship. :-)

                    >I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
                    >reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines. I'll have to look at it
                    >again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
                    >specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
                    >for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
                    >here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
                    >Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

                    Yes - they would rewrite the titels and things - but the content is the same
                    content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of course they would not do a
                    word-for-word transaltion or it would read funny. :-)

                  • Chalcahuite
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                      > From: "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
                      > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 14:21:51 -0400
                      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
                      >
                      >> From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                      >
                      >> Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues
                      >> say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
                      >> interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
                      >> of whether they can be supported or not.
                      >
                      > Which flies in the face of the schedule of about 6 Gay and lesbian Film
                      > Festiuvals he's shopping the movie at and the comments he's making about it
                      > being about two women coming to terms with tier relationship. :-)

                      Well, I guess he isn't continuing to say that now, is he? Maybe I should pay
                      more attention to what's being said. I'll shut up now.

                      --= =--
                      Chalcahuite
                    • Sephiroth
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002

                        I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
                        reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines.  I'll have to look at it
                        again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
                        specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
                        for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
                        here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
                        Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

                        Yes - they would rewrite the titels and things - but the content is the same
                        content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of course they would not do a
                        word-for-word transaltion or it would read funny. :-)

                        Then you'd have a reply like this for the topic..
                        What you say. Distrubing is it. Person act Children like. Delete topic, Utena topic, chages lot love Touga to Anthy. Delete topic, Writer of artical topic, fool he is. Done my comment it.

                      • Lotus-chan
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                          8< snip snip >8

                          > but the content is the same
                          > >content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of

                          Sorry if this is redundant, but...is it safe to assume
                          that they'll also be printing the same mangas in the
                          issues that the Japanese one prints? I'm guessing so,
                          if they're already doing write ups on anime series
                          that haven't been released here yet...

                          Thanks! ^_^

                          -me

                          http://health.yahoo.com
                        • borg9of9235
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                            --- In Yuricon@y..., Lotus-chan <indigo_veil@y...> wrote:

                            > 8< snip snip >8
                            >
                            > > but the content is the same
                            > > >content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of
                            >
                            > Sorry if this is redundant, but...is it safe to assume
                            > that they'll also be printing the same mangas in the
                            > issues that the Japanese one prints? I'm guessing so,
                            > if they're already doing write ups on anime series
                            > that haven't been released here yet...

                            Actually, I don't think so. They own the rights to the newtype
                            material, but the included manga are owned by the creator/publisher
                            and would require seperate rights. Also, some of the stuff in the US
                            version of Newtype is original, but a lot is translated from the
                            japanese version.

                            kage-kun
                            "ookami wa ookami"
                          • Lotus-chan
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                              8< snip snip >8

                              > material, but the included manga are owned by the
                              > creator/publisher
                              > and would require seperate rights.

                              Coo'. that's what I thought too, so I decided to ask
                              to see if anyone on the ML knows for sure. ^^;;
                              Thanks for the response--now I just have to decide if
                              I need two subscriptions to the same magazine...

                              Christina

                              http://health.yahoo.com