Li's Otakon Report.

  • Lianne Tauxe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2002
      Not too long this time, since I only went on Saturday.

      Kun and I dragged ourselves out of bed to hit the road by 7:15am, which
      meant that we landed nicely in the line outside the convention center by
      a little after 8. Where we stood until 9. I'd gotten the times messed
      up in my brain and thought they opened registration at 8.

      Got inside, got our badges (I got a Noir badge, woowoo! Made Erica
      jealous because they were out by the time she registered), got lost
      trying to find the art show. But find it we did, and happily wandered
      until going to meet up with newly-arriving people. Hit the dealer's
      room, where we did not have to stand in a line for the first time ever
      at Otakon. I have to say, as much walking as one did with the con
      spread over the whole convention center, it was wonderful for the lack
      of crowding and lines. Found some Noir keychains, trading cards, and a
      pencilboard (I also contemplated storming the ADV booth and making off
      with the Noir banner and cutout), some ONE PIECE pins I didn't already
      have, and called a halt for lunch - where we ever so conveniently ran
      into Sparkle and friends.

      Returned from lunch in time to be about 45 minutes into the music videos
      - I kept thinking they'd have to get better, but they didn't. Boring!
      I spent a large part of the time putting Yuricon stickers on some of the
      flyers that Erica had brought and delegated. Everything looks better
      and brighter with a Yuricon sticker, right? =) Plus they're ever so
      convenient for attaching flyers to bulletin boards. The convention
      center was nice about having tables about every 25 feet, too, so Yuricon
      flyers could be properly displayed. They put the tables there just for
      that purpose, of course. =)

      The only video programming I saw was Ribon no Kishi, an incredibly old
      story of a princess who was declared and raised a prince because her
      land doesn't allow females to inherit and there was a greedy duke just
      waiting for the throne (as she grows up he tries to trick her into
      revealing that she's a female). Erica had told me it was one of the
      earliest shoujo-ai stories, but they only showed two episodes and
      nothing had happened by that point. I could see where things could lead
      up it, though.

      The scattered groups met up again mid-evening, whereupon I ditched the
      convention with Sparkle and her group and went swimming, whee! There
      was a bit of karaoke once we got back, but we all sort of wound down and
      then headed home. It was fun, and a nice one-day outing after the
      three-day craziness of Shoujocon the weekend before.

      --Li.