Noir yuri site of the day

  • Sean Gaffney
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
      http://retrovirus.ath.cx/noir/noir.htm

      The illust gallery has several shoujo-ai pics, almost all M/K.

      --SG
    • shanejayell2000
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 31, 2002
        Finally saw the first four Noir's! And I can see why everbody's raving
        about it!

        Shane :)

        --- In Yuricon@y..., "Sean Gaffney" <sean@t...> wrote:
        > http://retrovirus.ath.cx/noir/noir.htm
        >
        > The illust gallery has several shoujo-ai pics, almost all M/K.
        >
        > --SG
      • awill
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 31, 2002
          shanejayell2000 wrote:

          > Finally saw the first four Noir's! And I can see why everbody's
          > raving about it!
          >
          > Shane :)
          >
          > --- In Yuricon@y..., "Sean Gaffney" <sean@t...> wrote:
          > > http://retrovirus.ath.cx/noir/noir.htm
          > >
          > > The illust gallery has several shoujo-ai pics, almost all M/K.
          > >
          > > --SG

          Glares at Shane... don't say anything more about it. I haven't
          seen it yet. I think it will be out in DVD before next year's
          AN. I hope I can scarf Noir up at Canadian Prices while I'm
          there. I don't know if they sold DVDs there or not... I bought
          art supplies and manga because at the time I didn't have a DVD
          player.

          Byakko
        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 31, 2002
            I haven't seen it yet, either, but spoilers don't really affect me too much.
            In fact, spoilers often have the opposite effect.
            The preview copy of the U.S. Newtype that they were handing out at Otakon
            had a write up on Noir. But, you couldn't tell that there was any yuri
            content from the write up.

            --= =--
            Chalcahuite

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 31, 2002
              >From: awill <ahwill@...>

              >Glares at Shane... don't say anything more about it. I haven't
              >seen it yet. I think it will be out in DVD before next year's
              >AN. I hope I can scarf Noir up at Canadian Prices while I'm
              >there. I don't know if they sold DVDs there or not... I bought
              >art supplies and manga because at the time I didn't have a DVD
              >player.

              Won't be out until next July- I'm betting that AX or Otakon gets the
              premier.

            • Kathryn Williams
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've found. I've
                actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content in Utena or all
                things. Also most Write ups will leave that kind of thing out because they
                don't think it is something that people want to know. I've read a write up
                on Miyuki-chan in Wonderland in which there was no mention at all of all the
                lesbian tones and just called it a twisted Alice in Wonderland tale. Hell
                reviews about my own works never mention the fact that all the girls are
                lesbians which really bothered the help out of me. This is a big reason I do
                not ready any Anime reviews and also a big reason why I like this ML. This
                is the best place to get he first news on new yrui titles >^_^<

                btw, I've never heard of a US Newtype before. What is it just a translation
                of the orginal Newtype or something?

                Well I'm off, Jaa ne

                Kat

                > I haven't seen it yet, either, but spoilers don't really affect me too
                much.
                > In fact, spoilers often have the opposite effect.
                > The preview copy of the U.S. Newtype that they were handing out at Otakon
                > had a write up on Noir. But, you couldn't tell that there was any yuri
                > content from the write up.
                >
                > --= =--
                > Chalcahuite
                >

                > > From: awill <ahwill@...>
                > > Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:33:22 -0400
                > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                > > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
                > >
                > > shanejayell2000 wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Finally saw the first four Noir's! And I can see why everbody's
                > >> raving about it!
                > >>
                > >> Shane :)

                > > Glares at Shane... don't say anything more about it. I haven't
                > > seen it yet. I think it will be out in DVD before next year's
                > > AN. I hope I can scarf Noir up at Canadian Prices while I'm
                > > there. I don't know if they sold DVDs there or not... I bought
                > > art supplies and manga because at the time I didn't have a DVD
                > > player.
                > >
                > > Byakko

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • gaffneys_99
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                  --- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:
                  > Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've
                  > found.

                  I have, in fact, left a Noir ML as they asked me to not discus yuri
                  in the show. The message board is even worse, as they don't mind
                  yuri content in discussion - but only for Chloe or Mireille. Because
                  Kirika is too sweet and innocent to be a lesbian. :-D

                  I worry, when Noir hits these shores, that Kirika will become a Juri
                  or Ukyou character - a 'fanboy untouchable' that is so revered by the
                  fan community that I grow weary of them and lose any interest I may
                  have had. Noir isn't even out here yet and already the Kirika
                  fanboys scare me...

                  --SG
                  --currently without email, and annoyed about it...
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                    >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

                    >Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've found. I've
                    >actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content in Utena or all
                    >things.

                    I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really gay,
                    because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made me laugh. :-)

                    >btw, I've never heard of a US Newtype before. What is it just a translation
                    >of the orginal Newtype or something?

                    It's new - coming out just now. It *supposed* to be a transaltion of the
                    Japanese mag, coming out a week afterwards. I bet Animerica's circulation
                    drops by half that first week.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                      >From: "gaffneys_99" <sean@...>

                      >I have, in fact, left a Noir ML as they asked me to not discus yuri
                      >in the show. The message board is even worse, as they don't mind
                      >yuri content in discussion - but only for Chloe or Mireille. Because
                      >Kirika is too sweet and innocent to be a lesbian. :-D

                      Heheheh. But, these same people can't stop reading (and saying how appalling
                      it is) my story. LOL

                      >I worry, when Noir hits these shores, that Kirika will become a Juri
                      >or Ukyou character - a 'fanboy untouchable' that is so revered by the
                      >fan community that I grow weary of them and lose any interest I may
                      >have had. Noir isn't even out here yet and already the Kirika
                      >fanboys scare me...

                      One more reason to avoid fandom in general. :-) I just watch anime, read
                      manga and enjoy it...ans occasionally write scary Kekko kamen or Weather
                      Report Girl fics.

                    • dziwozony
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                        --- In Yuricon@y..., "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@h...> wrote:
                        > >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...>
                        > >Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've
                        > > found. I've actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content
                        > > in Utena or all things.
                        > I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really
                        > gay, because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made
                        > me laugh. :-)

                        Ahhh, I see. As long as you don't *say* you're queer, you can kiss
                        all the women you want while riding naked on a weird motorized
                        bobsled thing....

                        Jude

                        -=-=-=-=-
                        Shadows in the Rose Garden: Utena Lit Crit and Fan Fic
                        http://www.broomstick.org/utena
                      • Chalcahuite
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                          > From: "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
                          > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:58:00 -0400
                          > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                          > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
                          >
                          >> From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>
                          >

                          >> Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've found. I've
                          >> actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content in Utena or all
                          >> things.
                          >
                          > I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really gay,
                          > because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made me laugh. :-)

                          Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues to
                          say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
                          interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
                          of whether they can be supported or not.

                          >> btw, I've never heard of a US Newtype before. What is it just a translation
                          >> of the orginal Newtype or something?
                          >

                          > It's new - coming out just now. It *supposed* to be a transaltion of the
                          > Japanese mag, coming out a week afterwards. I bet Animerica's circulation
                          > drops by half that first week.

                          I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
                          reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines. I'll have to look at it
                          again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
                          specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
                          for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
                          here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
                          Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

                          --= =--
                          Chalcahuite
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                            >From: "dziwozony" <dziwozony@...>

                            >Ahhh, I see. As long as you don't *say* you're queer, you can kiss
                            >all the women you want while riding naked on a weird motorized
                            >bobsled thing....

                            Street luge, Jude. Modified, of course because it's got no, oh, *engine* and
                            is primarily composed of an exhaust pipe, but hey, who's looking. :-)

                            But yes, that's apparently so.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                              >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>

                              >Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues
                              >say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
                              >interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
                              >of whether they can be supported or not.

                              Which flies in the face of the schedule of about 6 Gay and lesbian Film
                              Festiuvals he's shopping the movie at and the comments he's making about it
                              being about two women coming to terms with tier relationship. :-)

                              >I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
                              >reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines. I'll have to look at it
                              >again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
                              >specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
                              >for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
                              >here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
                              >Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

                              Yes - they would rewrite the titels and things - but the content is the same
                              content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of course they would not do a
                              word-for-word transaltion or it would read funny. :-)

                            • Chalcahuite
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                                > From: "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
                                > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 14:21:51 -0400
                                > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
                                >
                                >> From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
                                >
                                >> Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues
                                >> say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
                                >> interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
                                >> of whether they can be supported or not.
                                >
                                > Which flies in the face of the schedule of about 6 Gay and lesbian Film
                                > Festiuvals he's shopping the movie at and the comments he's making about it
                                > being about two women coming to terms with tier relationship. :-)

                                Well, I guess he isn't continuing to say that now, is he? Maybe I should pay
                                more attention to what's being said. I'll shut up now.

                                --= =--
                                Chalcahuite
                              • Sephiroth
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002

                                  I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
                                  reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines.  I'll have to look at it
                                  again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
                                  specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
                                  for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
                                  here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
                                  Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

                                  Yes - they would rewrite the titels and things - but the content is the same
                                  content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of course they would not do a
                                  word-for-word transaltion or it would read funny. :-)

                                  Then you'd have a reply like this for the topic..
                                  What you say. Distrubing is it. Person act Children like. Delete topic, Utena topic, chages lot love Touga to Anthy. Delete topic, Writer of artical topic, fool he is. Done my comment it.

                                • Lotus-chan
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                                    8< snip snip >8

                                    > but the content is the same
                                    > >content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of

                                    Sorry if this is redundant, but...is it safe to assume
                                    that they'll also be printing the same mangas in the
                                    issues that the Japanese one prints? I'm guessing so,
                                    if they're already doing write ups on anime series
                                    that haven't been released here yet...

                                    Thanks! ^_^

                                    -me

                                    http://health.yahoo.com
                                  • borg9of9235
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                                      --- In Yuricon@y..., Lotus-chan <indigo_veil@y...> wrote:

                                      > 8< snip snip >8
                                      >
                                      > > but the content is the same
                                      > > >content - articles on the same anime, etc. Of
                                      >
                                      > Sorry if this is redundant, but...is it safe to assume
                                      > that they'll also be printing the same mangas in the
                                      > issues that the Japanese one prints? I'm guessing so,
                                      > if they're already doing write ups on anime series
                                      > that haven't been released here yet...

                                      Actually, I don't think so. They own the rights to the newtype
                                      material, but the included manga are owned by the creator/publisher
                                      and would require seperate rights. Also, some of the stuff in the US
                                      version of Newtype is original, but a lot is translated from the
                                      japanese version.

                                      kage-kun
                                      "ookami wa ookami"
                                    • Lotus-chan
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 1, 2002
                                        8< snip snip >8

                                        > material, but the included manga are owned by the
                                        > creator/publisher
                                        > and would require seperate rights.

                                        Coo'. that's what I thought too, so I decided to ask
                                        to see if anyone on the ML knows for sure. ^^;;
                                        Thanks for the response--now I just have to decide if
                                        I need two subscriptions to the same magazine...

                                        Christina

                                        http://health.yahoo.com