Otakon Report

  • distantskyking
    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 28, 2002
      I never quite realized until this weekend exactly how much that
      chemical spill in Baltimore last year heightened my entire con
      experience.

      This year's Otakon was painfully lacking in anything fun.

      The programming was dull, the guests unimpressive, and of the two
      things I actually WANTED to see one was cancelled and the other too
      full for me to even poke my head in the room.

      I didn't even get to meet any other Yuriconners.

      Despite this, there were a few very memorable (and fun) moments.

      As I do at every con, I regaled those unfortunate enough to be in the
      karaoke room with my stunning rendition of "Ultra Relax" from Child's
      Toy. As I stood on stage in my Asuka costume, and the banjo began to
      play, I delighted in hearing the words "there is no God" escape from
      a viewer's lips. The next thing I knew, a funny little gay guy with
      legs I'd die for hopped on stage and became my backup dancer,
      grinding with the microphone stand, while a kickline of girls began
      at the back of the room. Soon the kickline became a congaline of
      about forty people. About halfway through the song I looked up and
      found people crowding in to sneak a peek at whoever was apparently
      insane enough to attempt the Song From Hell. Cameras flashed. Tapes
      rolled. When the song ended, I left the stage to racous cheering the
      likes of which I'd never, in all my days of performing, known. For
      four minutes and thirty-four seconds, I was the coolest person in the
      world. I was smug for hours afterward. In fact, I'm still smug
      now. I really hope someone posts pictures of it on the web.

      Then I wandered about the con and somehow managed to fulfill every
      Evangelion fanboy's dreams by posing for about a gazillion photos. I
      even had a nice guy in a NERV-UN uniform ask me to dinner and a Kaji
      and Spike (from Cowboy Bebop) proposition me for a hot "one night
      only" of sweet, sweet lovin'. Alas, A Fan's View neglected to
      capture my photo AGAIN. One of these cons I'm just going to walk up
      to them and demand they take my photo. Or I should just invest in a
      digital camera. (On a side note, I grinned like a fiend when a sweet
      little boy dressed in some costume I couldn't recognize walked by
      with his mother and tugged on her arm to whisper urgently, "Mom!
      She's from Evangelion!" They stopped for a photo, and the kid
      literally DANCED. I got the feeling he thought I was THE Asuka. So,
      so cute!)

      And who could forget the writing workshop where we begot the Fic to
      End All Fics? A bad idea mentioned at the previous day's fanfiction
      panel served as great comedic fodder for the bored/ignored/shy
      patrons of the writing workshop. Who knew Sailor Moon and Harry
      Potter crossovers could be so entertaining, and that Bruce Willis was
      proficient in the Dark Arts? Copies available upon request. ;)

      After that, it was Drunken Fun with Sean. Somewhere around 1am I was
      introduced to a lovely little creation known as a "beerdriver" (a
      screwdriver combined with an entire beer). The night quickly
      degenerated into bad hentai on television and Uncle Sean reading us
      some delightful hentai doujin. We eventually gave up on that and
      goofed off. Thank goodness Lara's inebriated hand was steady with
      the digital camera, for there are some great photos of Sean licking
      booze from my thigh as I knock back a second beerdriver. It just
      smacks of Christmas card cheer.

      So, in a nutshell, the con itself was a blast as a backdrop to meet
      new people and hang with friends, but as stand-alone entertainment
      value, bit the big one. I did, however, walk away with a TMNT
      animation cel that will soon be framed and hung on the wall behind my
      bed. Now that I've found a place that sells them, more will
      assuredly follow.

      Turtle power!

      Vera
    • Chalcahuite
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 1, 2002
        > From: Trixterpriest@...
        > Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:32:22 EDT
        > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Otakon Report (Warning: Long.)
        >
        > << P.S. I discovered that my shiny, silver shirt didn't really agree with the
        > Yuricon stickers. There are now two circular discolorations where the
        > stickers used to be. I suppose I should have left them on, but pink is not
        > really one of my colors. Oh well, lesson learned and its an excuse to buy
        > another one, I suppose. One can never have too many shiny silver shirts. :)
        >

        > Ahh! I'm sorry! ;( It WAS a very pretty shirt and Erica and myself commented
        > on it for a full 30 minutes or so =^.^= It was so shiny I just had to
        > sticker it twice ;p If I'd known....
        >
        > *does a little shiny dance*

        Don't worry about it. I didn't know it was going to happen either, and I was
        especially delighted to get double-stickered. Made me feel good all day.
        Like I said, its an excuse now to get another one. :)

        --= =--
        Chalcahuite