Partially on-topic request for help from *everyone* for resources (LONG, sorry)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
      Hi folks!

      This is a serious request, so if you have a moment, please read this *all
      the way through* and help me out.

      As head of Yuricon, and writer of most of the site content, I get a fair
      amount of mail from people, mostly positive, ocassionally confused and very
      rarely, pissy.

      But recently, I've been getting a different kind of email and I'm getting
      them often enough now that I have to seriously think about a good way to
      answer them.

      This kind of email is long, single-spaced and tormented. "Hi, I'm in love
      with my best friend and I don't know if I'm gay and I don't know what to do"
      kind of emails.

      Now, first off I am NOT a trained couselor and will not even attempt to
      listen and offer advice to these young women and men...I know it sounds
      cold, but I don't have the temperment for it. I'm old, I'm cynical, I'm
      jaded and I went through all that in like a week. However, I'm not
      *entirely* heartless and don't want to either ignore or hurt these kids.
      (And occasionally, I can tell that the author is a troll..."I think I'm a
      lesbian...what do I do once I'm kissing a girl?" kind of things, ick.)

      So what I've been doing, is offering a few URLS to my local Gay and Lesbian
      youth group in my area, figuring that if they are not local to me, the
      website will answer the basic questions for them and maybe give them other
      resources to check out. (This has the side effect of giving the real kids a
      place to go, and leaves the trolls without any thrills.)

      Sorry for the long lead in...anyway, here's the request.

      All you folks out there with a phone book, or a gay listings, or ties to the
      gay/lesbian/bi/trans communities in your area, can you do me a BIG favor?
      I'd like to put together a "Resource List" on the Yuricon webpage - tailored
      more towards youth, but having adult resources too. This will make it much
      easier for me to respond to these kinds of mails. And I won't have to dig up
      all the info myself.

      I'm looking for URLs, or phone numbers of GLBT youth and adult resources
      and what city or area they are in. Other countries too. I'll link it from a
      few places on the site and hopefully it'll help the few kids out there who
      need someone to talk to, because that someone isn't me.

      If you have a resource to add to the list, please email it to
      anilesbocon01@... with the subject "GLBT Resource" so I can file it
      away until I have a chance to make the page.

      Thanks, everyone, for your help!

    • Kathryn Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
        That sounds like a great I idea! Give been a bit of time and I'll hand you
        all my contact info for group like that (I have alot seeing as I worked for
        a few over the years) I'll email you a list in a bit, mind you it will be a
        large list so be prepared.

        jaa ne

        Kat

      • alicewithwings
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2002
          Well, for CA residents there are tons.

          For activism, (which isn't exactly what you were looking for, but is
          nifty and important anyway,) there's the Gay Straight Alliance
          Network www.gsanetwork.org, (anyone who is in a highschool without a
          GSA, START ONE!!! It's a totally awesome thing to do, even if you're
          not in California the network will help you out if you need them to,
          and it really helps to fight homophobia in schools and create a
          friendly environment for LGBTQ youth. Can you tell I'm involved?)

          Then there's LYRIC (lavender youth recreation and information
          center) that one's more social than activism based. Lyric offers
          tons of resources, including a hotline where youth can call in and
          talk to other youth about lgbtq issues. That one's www.lyric.org

          For people near San Jose, there's the Billy DeFrank center, and then
          on July 19-21 there's the Young, Loud and Proud Conference (free for
          youth, yay!) in San Francisco. There's info on that on the LYRIC
          website.

          I could probably get a lot more if you wanted them, especially in
          the San Francisco area. (Like people didn't know they were around
          here anyway... lol.)

          -Alice