Re: [Yuricon] colleges, universities, lost, confused, drowning blah de blah etc...

  • Royi Eltink
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2002
      > i really need to get in gear. like majorally.
      anyway, i was wondering if
      > anyone of you guys had a list of
      gay-friendly colleges and such. i'm sort of
      > looking at just nyu at the
      moment but i don't really know anything about it.
      > so, yeah, i'm kind of
      lost in this whole world of colleges despite the fact
      > that i've seen
      all my friends and sisters do it... any help? please?

      Erhm, most colleges (99.99%) here in The Netherlands are gay-friendly...
      Or where and what would you like to study?

      Ro'
    • dziwozony
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2002
        --- In Yuricon@y..., "Dana G." <snebula32@h...> wrote:
        > hey~
        > this is sort of off the topic, but it sort of is. borderline, ya
        > know? anyway, i've been a lazy arse when it comes to this whole
        > college thing and i really need to get in gear. like majorally.
        > anyway, i was wondering if anyone of you guys had a list of gay-
        > friendly colleges and such. i'm sort of looking at just nyu at the
        > moment but i don't really know anything about it. so, yeah, i'm
        > kind of lost in this whole world of colleges despite the fact
        > that i've seen all my friends and sisters do it... any help? please?

        (Have you graduated high school? Or are you entering your senior
        year now?)

        I don't know what the school is like right now, but I know that Bryn
        Mawr College has a history of being pretty darn gay-friendly. The
        line is, "No one ever comes out at Bryn Mawr, they just become
        sophomores." While true that the lesbian percentage isn't
        spectacularly high, I know of one incident where there was some anti-
        gay hate mail sent out by a particularly troubled student. Almost
        the entire campus reacted by putting up pink triangles in their
        windows to show support. It's a very tight-knit community, and they
        don't tolerate intolerance very well. :}

        That said, BMC is also an academic pressure-cooker. But I'm still
        jealous of all my friends who went there, as opposed to my experience
        at University of Delaware (which is, in its own way, an excellent
        school, don't get me wrong... just not particularly gay-friendly),
        and my brief experience of Johns Hopkins (unless you're an academic
        masochist, don't go there for undergraduate ANYTHING). :P

        Jude
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2002
          >From: "dziwozony" <dziwozony@...>

          I went to Rutgers University which is, like most of New Jersey,
          spectacularly uninterested in *your* issues (because everyone else has their
          own which are far more important to them,) so you're free to do or be
          whatever you want, as long as you don't care if we don't care. LOL

          I'd take that any day over anything-"friendly," because then it means that
          you learn (completely against common sense to my mind) that other people
          give a hoot about you and your issues. Rutgers teaches you the way the world
          is - that you get along by yourself and you MAKE your own
          groups/opportunities/friends...or you don't. And it's no one else's
          responsibility but yours to make your life work.

          That having been said, there is a lgbt group on campus, but I never went. I
          assume the quality of activities had more to do with the current leadership
          than the group's mission as a whole and it could be very active and positive
          right now for all I know.

          My advice to you on colleges is to pick one that fits your *whole*
          personality, not just a part of it - most colleges are gay-friendly, in the
          sense that they are not anti-gay, unless you choose a really inappropriate
          one, like a Christian College, or a really small-town one. But if you like
          the campus, the people, the academic programs, 9 out of 10, you'll be happy.
          Being gay isn't all of who you are, it's a part of of a larger whole. IMHO,
          of course. :-)

          Find a college that suits the whole person, not just a part.

          Cheers,

          Erica (who loved Rutgers so much that she returned for a Master's Degree.
          And I'd go back again if I ever returned to school.)

        • Dana G.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 4, 2002
            >Erhm, most colleges (99.99%) here in The Netherlands are gay->friendly...
            >Or where and what would you like to study?

            um, i was thinking about staying in the states or at least someplace warm to
            new england standards considering my condition. i'm really kind of lost
            because i don't know what i want to study really, i don't know what size of
            school i want or anything. i've been living in a smalltown all my life and
            all i've ever wanted to do was get out but i've actually put some thought
            into what i wanted to get out into because i honestly don't know what's out
            there.

          • heron-blue Tira
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 4, 2002
              Someone may have mentioned it already but I feel
              obligated to say:

              Oberlin! Oberlin Oberlin Oberlin!

              It's even more liberal than most liberal-arts
              colleges. ;) It's extremely queer-friendly, to the
              point where it's assumed that everyone is bisexual
              unless stated otherwise. They also have a good
              community of otaku, or at least they did when I was
              last there.

              The only major drawback is that it's in the middle of
              nowhere in Ohio.

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Lotus-chan
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 5, 2002
                > Oberlin! Oberlin Oberlin Oberlin!
                > The only major drawback is that it's in the middle
                > of
                > nowhere in Ohio.

                <grin> Yeah, Oberlin *is* a pretty cool school...

                Not sure if someone mentioned this already (like
                Shiraishi), but if you're looking to get out of small
                town life, how about applying to the biggest
                university in the States? The University of Texas at
                Austin has 60,000 undergrads (I think), is very queer
                friendly, and it's warm (I remember that being a
                concern of yours), being in the heart of Texas and
                all. There isn't much to do in terms of nightlife (but
                I might have a biased opinion, as I'm originally from
                NYC), but there is a gay district here in Austin, and
                it's a damned liberal town (I was shocked when I first
                got here), but it's still homey enough that the people
                still have that stereotypical suth'n friendliness.
                Plus, you're close enough to both Houston and Dallas
                to just get away to a bigger city on the weekends.

                Academically, UT's programs are consistently ranked at
                the top, so you don't have to worry that you might be
                getting a crappy education. UT grads also make much
                money when they finish...I knew some finance majors
                whose opening offers were 105K annually. It's
                difficult to get in if you're not at the top 10% of
                your graduating class if you're a Texan, but as you're
                coming from out of state, you don't have to worry
                about that. ^_^

                Lastly, if you come to Austin, you'd be able to go to
                Akon (the longest running anime con in the states, I
                believe--at least, it's my understanding that it's
                gone on longer than Expo), UshiCon (fledging con
                that's awesome), and AnimeFest. Three anime cons all
                in one mid-sized town. ^_^ How's that for kickass?

                Hope that helps. Oh, and no, I don't attend UT. ^^;;

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • Lotus-chan
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 5, 2002
                  Oopsies! AKon is actually held in Dallas...I dunno why
                  I thought it's in Austin. Wishful thinking, I guess.
                  ^^;;;

                  christina

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • alicewithwings
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 6, 2002
                    > and my brief experience of Johns Hopkins (unless you're an
                    academic
                    > masochist, don't go there for undergraduate ANYTHING). :P
                    >
                    > Jude

                    Johns Hopkins is one of the top 2 schools on my list for college...
                    ok, academic masochism aside, what did you think? Is it a gay
                    friendly school? Nice atmosphere?
                  • dziwozony
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 6, 2002
                      --- In Yuricon@y..., "alicewithwings" <alicewithwings@y...> wrote:
                      > Johns Hopkins is one of the top 2 schools on my list for college...
                      > ok, academic masochism aside, what did you think? Is it a gay
                      > friendly school? Nice atmosphere?

                      Er, well, it wasn't when I was there. But, then again, my experience
                      was one hellish, awful semester in the fall of 1985. Then again, one
                      of the things that made it hellish and awful was not feeling like I
                      could come out at that point. And on another hand, it *has* been
                      seventeen years. (Gawwwwd, I'm ollllld.) And I'm sure that GALA has a
                      different, more unpronounceable acronym by now.

                      If I were making the choice now, with my willingness for academic
                      pressure-cookery and whatnot, *and* wanting a nice atmosphere to be a
                      lesbian in, I'd go to Bryn Mawr like a shot. I also understand that
                      Wesleyan (in Connecticut) is pretty nice that way. And I've heard good
                      things about Smith and Mt. Holyoke.

                      Jude
                    • alicewithwings
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 6, 2002
                        > If I were making the choice now, with my willingness for academic
                        > pressure-cookery and whatnot, *and* wanting a nice atmosphere to
                        be a
                        > lesbian in, I'd go to Bryn Mawr like a shot. I also understand
                        that
                        > Wesleyan (in Connecticut) is pretty nice that way. And I've heard
                        good
                        > things about Smith and Mt. Holyoke.
                        >
                        > Jude

                        Yeah, I was looking into Bryn Mawr, but they don't have a German
                        program, so it was dropped from my list. Dunno too much about the
                        other two, but they were actually on my list of "schools to look
                        into when I get the chance." Anyone have anything to say about
                        Scripps? (my other top choice.)
                      • alicewithwings
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 6, 2002
                          Oops, didn't see Wesleyan there, that's pretty far up on my list
                          too... I need to start doing applications soon... WAHHHHHH!!
                          (If I were the type to steal someone else's cute personality quirks,
                          I'd do a little majorly stressed out dance, lol.)

                        • Minionmancer@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 8, 2002
                            Well, I would have to agree with Erica - pick a school for primary criteria other than gay-friendliness. Make sure the school has the departments and curriculum you would be most interested in. Depending on what program you go into, you may to busy studying to even look at the women around you. Of course, you don't want to go someplace that could be dangerous for you, so don't pick a school in a highly homophobic environment (North Carolina comes to mind).
                            If you want to get away from the small town, and schools with a wide variety of departments, facilities, and a nonhomophobic atmosphere (for the most part anyway), look into New York schools.