Re: [Yuricon] Pride fun!

  • Trixterpriest@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
      << Just thought I'd send a quick email off. I've survived my first Toronto
      Pride and it was a blast. I'll tell you all about it when I wake up but
      right now I need to soak in the tub for a while, geez was it hot out never
      mind my feet and legs are killing me from all that walking.

      Hope everyone else had fun and Thanks to Zepher and Seravy for helping out
      during Dyke march. >>

      Glad to hear you're back in one piece :) Sounds like one more reason why I'll
      never march =^.^= You guys got pictures ne? ne? ne? ;p

      Kun
      ----'-,-{@
      *does a little march dance*
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
        >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

        >Just thought I'd send a quick email off. I've survived my first Toronto
        >Pride and it was a blast. I'll tell you all about it when I wake up but
        >right now I need to soak in the tub for a while, geez was it hot out never
        >mind my feet and legs are killing me from all that walking.

        Sounds great! I remember the first (and only) time I marched in NYC Pride -
        it's like a 5-mile walk! LOL Only we were carrying flags and running around
        the float. I was wiped.

        Next year, I think we should march in the NJ and NYC parades - and all you
        cosplayers should come in full costume. LOL

      • Natalie Slaughter
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
          *lol* If I lived in the area, I'd be more than happy to help out. ^.~

          Houston's parade was pretty big this year; about 130-something floats over a
          three mile stretch. I was offered a spot to march in the Pagan float, but
          I'm not one for marching three miles in the muggy Houston atmosphere. I was
          all prided-out by the time it was over... unbenownst to me I had parked in a
          parking lot that was blocked off because it was on the street of the
          parade..... ^_^;

          Shiraishi Mayumi

          > >Just thought I'd send a quick email off. I've survived my first Toronto
          > >Pride and it was a blast. I'll tell you all about it when I wake up but
          > >right now I need to soak in the tub for a while, geez was it hot out
          never
          > >mind my feet and legs are killing me from all that walking.
          >

          > Sounds great! I remember the first (and only) time I marched in NYC
          Pride -
          > it's like a 5-mile walk! LOL Only we were carrying flags and running
          around
          > the float. I was wiped.
          >

          > Next year, I think we should march in the NJ and NYC parades - and all you
          > cosplayers should come in full costume. LOL

          > Yuricon 2002 - "For real women who like their women...animated."
          > http://www.yuricon.org

          > Because fanfic does not have to suck

        • Kathryn Williams
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
            > Sounds great! I remember the first (and only) time I marched in NYC
            Pride -
            > it's like a 5-mile walk! LOL Only we were carrying flags and running
            around
            > the float. I was wiped.

            I was running up and down the parade for a while (being only one person they
            gave me free rain) Which was fun but my legs hurt to much.

            > Next year, I think we should march in the NJ and NYC parades - and all you
            > cosplayers should come in full costume. LOL

            I was thinking the same for TO. Get some of those cute Utena and Anthy
            Cospalyers to come join us. >^_^<

            jaa ne

            Kat
          • Kathryn Williams
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
              > Glad to hear you're back in one piece :) Sounds like one more reason why
              I'll
              > never march =^.^= You guys got pictures ne? ne? ne? ;p

              I didn't have a camera but there will be loats of pictures, Trust me, I was
              filmed by 4 news groups (The Much Music, City TV and Pride TV camera guys
              just loved the banner >^_^<) I was walking with that thing all weekend long
              and didn't put it away until I was heading home late at night. On Saturday
              night a group of lesbians saw me and ran over and one said "Thanks for
              walking around with that thing all week, It takes alot of courage and I
              respect that." It would seem that after Dyke march was over most of the
              girls put their banners and signs away and since the one I made for Yuricon
              doubled as a tent to keep me out of the shade I walked around with it all
              weekend handing out fliers to anyone who asked what it ment. I most have
              gotten my pic taken about 30 times on Saturday and I lost track on sunday.
              From the news to just people on the street everyone just loved the Image.
              The best thing was someone saying "Hey I remember seeing that in
              Girlfriends!" >^_^<

              Here is a basic run down of the fun:

              Friday, Signed autograghs at HT all day long. Met alot of Anime North fans
              some were happy to see me because they missed a chance during AN. A few were
              talking about how they loved my Youth Issues (discusion on Alien 9) panel.
              At 5 to 6 I decided to start packing up seeing as there wasn't many people.
              I suddenly shouted "Well I guess noone is interested in Lesbian art." Two
              women buying someone for thier son suddenly perked up "Where? What?" They
              insantly grabed a poster of Yuriko with love. Also Seravy finally poked her
              head out from behind a shelve. I didn't even see her come into the store I
              was so tired (didn't get a wink of sleep the night before) Together we ran
              off to Church street where we waited for Fatima to arrive (turns out she got
              stuck with some cute girls at the Sobe stand... poor her LOL) It turns out
              that the Raging Asians (the Taiko dummers) didn't make it to the show but
              all in all it was a good night of Lesbian Peotry, song and Lit.

              Saturday, I arrived a half an hour eariler then expected so waited around
              until Zepher showed up. When it looked like noone else was going to show we
              started walking to Hairy T. because I left some of my stuff there the other
              night. This turned out to be a good thing because we found Seravy walking
              down the street. Turns out she went to the wrong Shopper. (Seravy gave me a
              cute card >^_^<) After geting my things we started off to church, but not
              before pulling out the Yuricon banner from my art case and putting it onto a
              long pole high above my head with a pride flag strung along the top which I
              tied the bottem of into my belt loops to creat a little pride tent (you
              would not beleive how many people thought that this was the neatest and
              smartest idea for a banner *grins* one girls said "Of course only a women
              would be that smart" LOL) . All set we were off to Celebrate. I am gratful
              to have had those to girls with me because the banner turned out to be alot
              heavier then I first expected it to be and Seravy carrying my art case was
              alot of help (plus I think she was having alot of fun with it too "Coming
              trough I'm an artist" as she ran into the 519 to grab a paper LOL)

              After wandering around for a bit and running into a few fans The amount of
              times someone yell "KAT!" shocked me. I thought it was the banner but it
              turned out most knew me by my face then anything else. Never thought I was
              that memroable of a person. One girl planned to join us in the Dyke March
              but needed to find her friends first. She ran off to be lost in teh crowds.
              The 3 of use realized that the march was about to start so ran over to
              Church and Charles where we found a huge pile of lesbians all gathering and
              getting ready to march. We saw the Lesbian Geek group, more like they saw
              me, Turns out they were all Anime Fans... actually alot of them were fans
              from AN and knew me. There were all excited. We started handing out fliers
              right away. I coached Zepher and Seravy in the fine art of give out flier
              (my hands were to full with the banner. The Dykes on Bikes past by and the
              march was one. Most was a blur but I saw quite a few familier faces, many
              called out to me. I got stopped by camera men left right and center (scary
              was the fact that I knew most of the camera men by name LOL) The March was
              so much fun and was over way to fast. Afterwards we wander around. Got some
              fun. Then Zepher had to leave and finally Seravy leaving me to walk the
              streets alone. I stood the banner up in the dirt, sat down in a park with
              the Toronto Youth group and started sketching random cute girls, basically
              I'd spot a girl and then draw her as if she was an anime character then give
              it to her. This attracted a few people.

              Guy: "What are you doing?"
              Kat: "Drawing random cute girls?"
              Guy: "Realy? Who are you going to do next?"
              Kat: "Well I was thinkihng about that one girl in the tie there, but she is
              leaving" Points at one girl who was walking away.
              Guy looks up then back and smile "One second." Runs off and talks with girl
              who looks over and blushes.

              Teh camera man from Much Music filmed me sketching, I wish I knew when that
              was aired...*sighs* anyone see me on TV on Saturday? Afterwords, I ran into
              more fans and spent the night talking about this and that until I too
              finally had to catch the last bus home at 12:30 am.

              Sunday I was up at 8 am because it was a holiday schedule. I was about to
              run out the door when I checked my email to find out my 2 lovly assistant
              were not going to make it.. ack. It looked like I'd be on my own this day.
              Just like the other day I unpacked the banner just as I got to Church street
              and walked up to see the street even more packed the the day before. I could
              not believe how many people there where. I weaved my way through the croad
              until I found a street lined with booth. AHA! Yesterday I was looking for
              the Sirens booth (A mag. that celebrates Dyke Pride in Toronto) and today I
              suddenly knew where they would be hiding. Not only did I find them but I
              found more and more people who were more then happy to see I made it to
              Pride. The girls at the Xtra booth offered to hold on to my things until the
              march at 2pm so I was free to run around talking to people and getting
              everyone I could interested in Yuricon (Note: Erica-kun before I left I
              printed off a few things from teh site. Your Message from the orginizers,
              The sponcer page and the Guest Shine and history of Shoujo ai and Yuri,
              anything that hit a cord in me... They were all a big hit with the Lesbians
              groups and the Gay and Lesbian Film festivel... we'll be hearing more from
              them >^_^<)

              Before I knew it it was almost 2 pm. The Guys at the GenX bears table were
              nice enough to look after my things while I was in the pride (Thanks guys!)
              So I was off. When I got there everyone was already lined up as far as the
              eye could see. I found a Marshal and asked where I was supposed to be but it
              turned out that Yuricon wasn't listed even though I filled out all the paper
              work. He took one look at the banner and said "You look very official...
              give me a second and we'll find a place for you" Soon I found myself
              standing between teh "Gay fathers" and the New York Marching band. I was so
              alone. Teh girls holding the New york banner offered to carry my bag of
              fliers and wallet for me which I was greatfull for. The marchers were split
              into two groups on either side of the raod and shuffled together as we
              entered the parade strip. While waiting for our turn I ran into the "Chinese
              Lesbians of Toronto" Some of the girl loved the banner and we got to
              talking. Before I knew it I was adopted by the group (in which a few were
              Japanese but there was no group for them.) They were more then happy to have
              me marching with them. So I was now marching with the Gay Asians of Toronto
              *grins* I lost my water so was about to buy more when I noticed that I
              didn't have my wallet and the New York Marching band was already part of the
              parade. I talked to the Marshals and they said because I was only one person
              I could run up ahead if I liked. one told me I could have full rain of the
              parade if I liked. So I was off running up Bloor street. As I ran along the
              side of the parade there was a wave of cheers. I waved to everyone then
              finally found my bag and ran back being followed by the same wave of cheers
              oning in the opposite direction.

              Turned out to be a good thing I made a tent out of the banner because it
              took forever for us to be called into the parade, but once we got going it
              was great fun. The Chinese Lesbians were a blast. They got the croud going
              with cheers. Myself I'd not had much of a voice of I just ran around waveing
              and handed out fliers to anyone who yelled out for them. Out of the 1000
              Filers I was only left with about 200 and that was because I forgot some
              back in my art case. I was cleaned out before we got half way through the
              parade. I lost count of how many times I heard people call out my name,
              never mind the amount of people shouting "Shoujo ai!" I remember a group fo
              Japanese girls who were really excited to see the banner, Pointing and
              shouting "A Japanese flap!!" Guess it was a good thing to add that to the
              banner. I found Fatima in the croad and got a hug from her, also found more
              and more fans who all cheered us on. It was great seeing all the fans >^_^<
              I've even got a few emails from some of them saying that they saw me and wre
              cheering me one. Near the need I started getting silly like everyone else..
              I taook off my toop and ran in circles only wearing a sports bra. Running
              ahead of the chinese girl and back again. I've never had so much fun. After
              the march we all got together for photos.

              I was hot and tired from all the walking. I ran out of water half way
              through and needed some badly. I finally found some and poured a good
              portion of it on my legs soaking my jeans through and the rest on my head.
              This was the first time I didn't care what I looked like. refreshed I ran
              back to all the festivitist. Spent the rest of the day running around
              talking with people and just having fun. Late at night I ran whiel I was
              leaning against a wall trying to eat pizza while fighting with the banner
              that kept falling over ever 2 minute a girl noticed the banner and came
              screaming over to chat, then a couple of the girls from the Geek Dykes group
              showed up and we chated for a while. During the conversation the girls
              suddenly started smiling at something over my shoulder and when I looked
              there was a camera man standing there and someone with a mic. He interviewed
              us and filmed the banner asking about Yuricon and noteing the URL on the
              banner. I dont' know what film crew he belongs to but it was more air time
              for Yuricon! The Geek Girls sayed that they want to march beside me in the
              parade next year. I really hope to have more then just myself by then.

              It turned out to be rather late so I had to run and catch my bus so colaped
              the banner into my art case a perpared for the long trip home. I was tired
              and my legs hurt but this was the best Pride I've ever had in my life (and
              I've been in pride for 6 years now) The witll be the most memorable.. well
              until next year *grins*

              Hope everyone else had a good pride. And thanks to everyone who cheered me
              on.

              jaa ne

              Kat
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
                >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

                <snip> My gods, Kat, I may be a V12, but you're a turbo engine - you really
                are. I'm exhausted just reading this...

                >The best thing was someone saying "Hey I remember seeing that in
                >Girlfriends!" >^_^<

                Yay!! It worked!

                >The 3 of use realized that the march was about to start so ran over to
                >Church and Charles where we found a huge pile of lesbians

                What an image that is.... O_o

                >The Dykes on Bikes past by and the

                When I grow up I am going to be one of those...

                >Guy: "What are you doing?"
                >Kat: "Drawing random cute girls?"
                >Guy: "Realy? Who are you going to do next?"
                >Kat: "Well I was thinkihng about that one girl in the tie there, but she is
                >leaving" Points at one girl who was walking away.
                >Guy looks up then back and smile "One second." Runs off and talks with girl
                >who looks over and blushes.

                lol You should draw this as a comic...it would be cute. :-)

                (Note: Erica-kun before I left I
                >printed off a few things from teh site. Your Message from the orginizers,
                >The sponcer page and the Guest Shine and history of Shoujo ai and Yuri,
                >anything that hit a cord in me... They were all a big hit with the Lesbians
                >groups and the Gay and Lesbian Film festivel... we'll be hearing more from
                >them >^_^<)

                Terrific! <beaming happy smile>

                So I was now marching with the Gay Asians of Toronto

                <shaking head> And you *really* don't think you have any magical powers?

                Unbelievable...you're bloody amazing. What a weekend that sounded like.

                Ok, fine, next year, Yuricon will have a contingent in NJ and NYC pride.

              • Seravy~
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
                  I just got hit by about 204 e-mails from the various
                  groups I was in, especially this one (a good thing,
                  showing how active this group is. About 3 of the RPs
                  I'm in are as quiet as dead bugs). *whew* what a work
                  out, just reading 'em then deleting... finally got to
                  this one.

                  > It turns out
                  > that the Raging Asians (the Taiko dummers) didn't
                  > make it to the show but
                  > all in all it was a good night of Lesbian Peotry,
                  > song and Lit.

                  It was sad that the the drummers weren't there... I
                  was really looking forward to it (didn't know what
                  taiko drums were until Kat told me at the concert... )

                  There was also an expressive dance to the Thong
                  Song(not sure if that's the right name) where the girl
                  actually got naked. I could honestly say that I did
                  not expect that AT ALL!

                  > heavier then I first expected it to be and Seravy
                  > carrying my art case was
                  > alot of help (plus I think she was having alot of
                  > fun with it too "Coming
                  > trough I'm an artist" as she ran into the 519 to
                  > grab a paper LOL)

                  Yep. I got a good kick outta it. Artist for a day.

                  > After wandering around for a bit and running into a
                  > few fans The amount of
                  > times someone yell "KAT!" shocked me.

                  Oh yea. Lot's of random calls. especially the biker at
                  open mouth. I didn't even see her and for a second I
                  thought Kat was just randomly waving. But as Erica
                  calls it, "it's magic".

                  > I coached Zepher and Seravy in the fine
                  > art of give out flier

                  I really wish I was a better student but some of those
                  people were quite hostile when I tried to give them
                  flyers so I got a little intimidated... Wish I could
                  have just walked up to them and shove flyers into
                  their hands while threatening them with a gun. It
                  would have been so much easier.

                  > fun. Then Zepher had to leave and finally Seravy
                  > leaving me to walk the
                  > streets alone.

                  I didn't mean to leave ya alone... Poor kat... but I
                  really wish I came on Sunday. Sounded like loads of
                  fun and I missed it. especially that lesbian asian
                  group. Would have given me the chance to try that
                  british-accent-kiss-the-hand-credit-to-kat.

                  ...Hey, ya never know...

                  Seravy
                  ~I'm in love with love

                  Post your ad for free now! http://personals.yahoo.ca