Re: [Yuricon] Pride fun!

  • Immortalone
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2002
      I've been feeling totally under the weather. I didn't even go to watch
      Dyke March :( But yeah, my friends dragged me to Pride today, and aren't
      I glad they did. :D I got a neat flag, necklaces, beads, condoms, hair
      products, ads, licorice, more condoms, etc...
      I also got flashed by a numerous amount of men and women. O_O isn't that
      fun? My eyes feel so... defiled. Or maybe its because of the sunscreen I
      got from shoppers that burned my eyes cuz it was 'NEW AND IMPROVED IN
      GEL FORM!'... Well, I put sunscreen on my face, but I'm betting you I
      have severe third degree burns on my face anyways, and definitely on my
      shoulders.
      Guess what was funny? :D I started singing Nelly's song 'It's getting
      hot in here, so take off all your clothes...' with my friend Andy when
      the float had stopped at a section of the parade route. So these two
      women walk away from their float and start dancing and singing 'I am,
      getting so hot! I wanna take my clothes off!' and they started
      stripping. :D~~~ Course, I'm going back again next year. Who wouldn't?
      Now, I'll do what Kat is doing, run myself a bath, and try to find that
      aloe stuff to put on the burns on my back... so... painful...

      immo

      p.s. Every second... more pain as clothes rub against skin... and
      loving... every second... GO PRIDE! I think I might be on TV. :D ...my
      skin is peeling off... :( I'm exfoliating!!!

    • Trixterpriest@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
        << Just thought I'd send a quick email off. I've survived my first Toronto
        Pride and it was a blast. I'll tell you all about it when I wake up but
        right now I need to soak in the tub for a while, geez was it hot out never
        mind my feet and legs are killing me from all that walking.

        Hope everyone else had fun and Thanks to Zepher and Seravy for helping out
        during Dyke march. >>

        Glad to hear you're back in one piece :) Sounds like one more reason why I'll
        never march =^.^= You guys got pictures ne? ne? ne? ;p

        Kun
        ----'-,-{@
        *does a little march dance*
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
          >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

          >Just thought I'd send a quick email off. I've survived my first Toronto
          >Pride and it was a blast. I'll tell you all about it when I wake up but
          >right now I need to soak in the tub for a while, geez was it hot out never
          >mind my feet and legs are killing me from all that walking.

          Sounds great! I remember the first (and only) time I marched in NYC Pride -
          it's like a 5-mile walk! LOL Only we were carrying flags and running around
          the float. I was wiped.

          Next year, I think we should march in the NJ and NYC parades - and all you
          cosplayers should come in full costume. LOL

        • Natalie Slaughter
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
            *lol* If I lived in the area, I'd be more than happy to help out. ^.~

            Houston's parade was pretty big this year; about 130-something floats over a
            three mile stretch. I was offered a spot to march in the Pagan float, but
            I'm not one for marching three miles in the muggy Houston atmosphere. I was
            all prided-out by the time it was over... unbenownst to me I had parked in a
            parking lot that was blocked off because it was on the street of the
            parade..... ^_^;

            Shiraishi Mayumi

            > >Just thought I'd send a quick email off. I've survived my first Toronto
            > >Pride and it was a blast. I'll tell you all about it when I wake up but
            > >right now I need to soak in the tub for a while, geez was it hot out
            never
            > >mind my feet and legs are killing me from all that walking.
            >

            > Sounds great! I remember the first (and only) time I marched in NYC
            Pride -
            > it's like a 5-mile walk! LOL Only we were carrying flags and running
            around
            > the float. I was wiped.
            >

            > Next year, I think we should march in the NJ and NYC parades - and all you
            > cosplayers should come in full costume. LOL

            > Yuricon 2002 - "For real women who like their women...animated."
            > http://www.yuricon.org

            > Because fanfic does not have to suck

          • Kathryn Williams
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
              > Sounds great! I remember the first (and only) time I marched in NYC
              Pride -
              > it's like a 5-mile walk! LOL Only we were carrying flags and running
              around
              > the float. I was wiped.

              I was running up and down the parade for a while (being only one person they
              gave me free rain) Which was fun but my legs hurt to much.

              > Next year, I think we should march in the NJ and NYC parades - and all you
              > cosplayers should come in full costume. LOL

              I was thinking the same for TO. Get some of those cute Utena and Anthy
              Cospalyers to come join us. >^_^<

              jaa ne

              Kat
            • Kathryn Williams
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2002
                > Glad to hear you're back in one piece :) Sounds like one more reason why
                I'll
                > never march =^.^= You guys got pictures ne? ne? ne? ;p

                I didn't have a camera but there will be loats of pictures, Trust me, I was
                filmed by 4 news groups (The Much Music, City TV and Pride TV camera guys
                just loved the banner >^_^<) I was walking with that thing all weekend long
                and didn't put it away until I was heading home late at night. On Saturday
                night a group of lesbians saw me and ran over and one said "Thanks for
                walking around with that thing all week, It takes alot of courage and I
                respect that." It would seem that after Dyke march was over most of the
                girls put their banners and signs away and since the one I made for Yuricon
                doubled as a tent to keep me out of the shade I walked around with it all
                weekend handing out fliers to anyone who asked what it ment. I most have
                gotten my pic taken about 30 times on Saturday and I lost track on sunday.
                From the news to just people on the street everyone just loved the Image.
                The best thing was someone saying "Hey I remember seeing that in
                Girlfriends!" >^_^<

                Here is a basic run down of the fun:

                Friday, Signed autograghs at HT all day long. Met alot of Anime North fans
                some were happy to see me because they missed a chance during AN. A few were
                talking about how they loved my Youth Issues (discusion on Alien 9) panel.
                At 5 to 6 I decided to start packing up seeing as there wasn't many people.
                I suddenly shouted "Well I guess noone is interested in Lesbian art." Two
                women buying someone for thier son suddenly perked up "Where? What?" They
                insantly grabed a poster of Yuriko with love. Also Seravy finally poked her
                head out from behind a shelve. I didn't even see her come into the store I
                was so tired (didn't get a wink of sleep the night before) Together we ran
                off to Church street where we waited for Fatima to arrive (turns out she got
                stuck with some cute girls at the Sobe stand... poor her LOL) It turns out
                that the Raging Asians (the Taiko dummers) didn't make it to the show but
                all in all it was a good night of Lesbian Peotry, song and Lit.

                Saturday, I arrived a half an hour eariler then expected so waited around
                until Zepher showed up. When it looked like noone else was going to show we
                started walking to Hairy T. because I left some of my stuff there the other
                night. This turned out to be a good thing because we found Seravy walking
                down the street. Turns out she went to the wrong Shopper. (Seravy gave me a
                cute card >^_^<) After geting my things we started off to church, but not
                before pulling out the Yuricon banner from my art case and putting it onto a
                long pole high above my head with a pride flag strung along the top which I
                tied the bottem of into my belt loops to creat a little pride tent (you
                would not beleive how many people thought that this was the neatest and
                smartest idea for a banner *grins* one girls said "Of course only a women
                would be that smart" LOL) . All set we were off to Celebrate. I am gratful
                to have had those to girls with me because the banner turned out to be alot
                heavier then I first expected it to be and Seravy carrying my art case was
                alot of help (plus I think she was having alot of fun with it too "Coming
                trough I'm an artist" as she ran into the 519 to grab a paper LOL)

                After wandering around for a bit and running into a few fans The amount of
                times someone yell "KAT!" shocked me. I thought it was the banner but it
                turned out most knew me by my face then anything else. Never thought I was
                that memroable of a person. One girl planned to join us in the Dyke March
                but needed to find her friends first. She ran off to be lost in teh crowds.
                The 3 of use realized that the march was about to start so ran over to
                Church and Charles where we found a huge pile of lesbians all gathering and
                getting ready to march. We saw the Lesbian Geek group, more like they saw
                me, Turns out they were all Anime Fans... actually alot of them were fans
                from AN and knew me. There were all excited. We started handing out fliers
                right away. I coached Zepher and Seravy in the fine art of give out flier
                (my hands were to full with the banner. The Dykes on Bikes past by and the
                march was one. Most was a blur but I saw quite a few familier faces, many
                called out to me. I got stopped by camera men left right and center (scary
                was the fact that I knew most of the camera men by name LOL) The March was
                so much fun and was over way to fast. Afterwards we wander around. Got some
                fun. Then Zepher had to leave and finally Seravy leaving me to walk the
                streets alone. I stood the banner up in the dirt, sat down in a park with
                the Toronto Youth group and started sketching random cute girls, basically
                I'd spot a girl and then draw her as if she was an anime character then give
                it to her. This attracted a few people.

                Guy: "What are you doing?"
                Kat: "Drawing random cute girls?"
                Guy: "Realy? Who are you going to do next?"
                Kat: "Well I was thinkihng about that one girl in the tie there, but she is
                leaving" Points at one girl who was walking away.
                Guy looks up then back and smile "One second." Runs off and talks with girl
                who looks over and blushes.

                Teh camera man from Much Music filmed me sketching, I wish I knew when that
                was aired...*sighs* anyone see me on TV on Saturday? Afterwords, I ran into
                more fans and spent the night talking about this and that until I too
                finally had to catch the last bus home at 12:30 am.

                Sunday I was up at 8 am because it was a holiday schedule. I was about to
                run out the door when I checked my email to find out my 2 lovly assistant
                were not going to make it.. ack. It looked like I'd be on my own this day.
                Just like the other day I unpacked the banner just as I got to Church street
                and walked up to see the street even more packed the the day before. I could
                not believe how many people there where. I weaved my way through the croad
                until I found a street lined with booth. AHA! Yesterday I was looking for
                the Sirens booth (A mag. that celebrates Dyke Pride in Toronto) and today I
                suddenly knew where they would be hiding. Not only did I find them but I
                found more and more people who were more then happy to see I made it to
                Pride. The girls at the Xtra booth offered to hold on to my things until the
                march at 2pm so I was free to run around talking to people and getting
                everyone I could interested in Yuricon (Note: Erica-kun before I left I
                printed off a few things from teh site. Your Message from the orginizers,
                The sponcer page and the Guest Shine and history of Shoujo ai and Yuri,
                anything that hit a cord in me... They were all a big hit with the Lesbians
                groups and the Gay and Lesbian Film festivel... we'll be hearing more from
                them >^_^<)

                Before I knew it it was almost 2 pm. The Guys at the GenX bears table were
                nice enough to look after my things while I was in the pride (Thanks guys!)
                So I was off. When I got there everyone was already lined up as far as the
                eye could see. I found a Marshal and asked where I was supposed to be but it
                turned out that Yuricon wasn't listed even though I filled out all the paper
                work. He took one look at the banner and said "You look very official...
                give me a second and we'll find a place for you" Soon I found myself
                standing between teh "Gay fathers" and the New York Marching band. I was so
                alone. Teh girls holding the New york banner offered to carry my bag of
                fliers and wallet for me which I was greatfull for. The marchers were split
                into two groups on either side of the raod and shuffled together as we
                entered the parade strip. While waiting for our turn I ran into the "Chinese
                Lesbians of Toronto" Some of the girl loved the banner and we got to
                talking. Before I knew it I was adopted by the group (in which a few were
                Japanese but there was no group for them.) They were more then happy to have
                me marching with them. So I was now marching with the Gay Asians of Toronto
                *grins* I lost my water so was about to buy more when I noticed that I
                didn't have my wallet and the New York Marching band was already part of the
                parade. I talked to the Marshals and they said because I was only one person
                I could run up ahead if I liked. one told me I could have full rain of the
                parade if I liked. So I was off running up Bloor street. As I ran along the
                side of the parade there was a wave of cheers. I waved to everyone then
                finally found my bag and ran back being followed by the same wave of cheers
                oning in the opposite direction.

                Turned out to be a good thing I made a tent out of the banner because it
                took forever for us to be called into the parade, but once we got going it
                was great fun. The Chinese Lesbians were a blast. They got the croud going
                with cheers. Myself I'd not had much of a voice of I just ran around waveing
                and handed out fliers to anyone who yelled out for them. Out of the 1000
                Filers I was only left with about 200 and that was because I forgot some
                back in my art case. I was cleaned out before we got half way through the
                parade. I lost count of how many times I heard people call out my name,
                never mind the amount of people shouting "Shoujo ai!" I remember a group fo
                Japanese girls who were really excited to see the banner, Pointing and
                shouting "A Japanese flap!!" Guess it was a good thing to add that to the
                banner. I found Fatima in the croad and got a hug from her, also found more
                and more fans who all cheered us on. It was great seeing all the fans >^_^<
                I've even got a few emails from some of them saying that they saw me and wre
                cheering me one. Near the need I started getting silly like everyone else..
                I taook off my toop and ran in circles only wearing a sports bra. Running
                ahead of the chinese girl and back again. I've never had so much fun. After
                the march we all got together for photos.

                I was hot and tired from all the walking. I ran out of water half way
                through and needed some badly. I finally found some and poured a good
                portion of it on my legs soaking my jeans through and the rest on my head.
                This was the first time I didn't care what I looked like. refreshed I ran
                back to all the festivitist. Spent the rest of the day running around
                talking with people and just having fun. Late at night I ran whiel I was
                leaning against a wall trying to eat pizza while fighting with the banner
                that kept falling over ever 2 minute a girl noticed the banner and came
                screaming over to chat, then a couple of the girls from the Geek Dykes group
                showed up and we chated for a while. During the conversation the girls
                suddenly started smiling at something over my shoulder and when I looked
                there was a camera man standing there and someone with a mic. He interviewed
                us and filmed the banner asking about Yuricon and noteing the URL on the
                banner. I dont' know what film crew he belongs to but it was more air time
                for Yuricon! The Geek Girls sayed that they want to march beside me in the
                parade next year. I really hope to have more then just myself by then.

                It turned out to be rather late so I had to run and catch my bus so colaped
                the banner into my art case a perpared for the long trip home. I was tired
                and my legs hurt but this was the best Pride I've ever had in my life (and
                I've been in pride for 6 years now) The witll be the most memorable.. well
                until next year *grins*

                Hope everyone else had a good pride. And thanks to everyone who cheered me
                on.

                jaa ne

                Kat
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2002
                  >From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>

                  <snip> My gods, Kat, I may be a V12, but you're a turbo engine - you really
                  are. I'm exhausted just reading this...

                  >The best thing was someone saying "Hey I remember seeing that in
                  >Girlfriends!" >^_^<

                  Yay!! It worked!

                  >The 3 of use realized that the march was about to start so ran over to
                  >Church and Charles where we found a huge pile of lesbians

                  What an image that is.... O_o

                  >The Dykes on Bikes past by and the

                  When I grow up I am going to be one of those...

                  >Guy: "What are you doing?"
                  >Kat: "Drawing random cute girls?"
                  >Guy: "Realy? Who are you going to do next?"
                  >Kat: "Well I was thinkihng about that one girl in the tie there, but she is
                  >leaving" Points at one girl who was walking away.
                  >Guy looks up then back and smile "One second." Runs off and talks with girl
                  >who looks over and blushes.

                  lol You should draw this as a comic...it would be cute. :-)

                  (Note: Erica-kun before I left I
                  >printed off a few things from teh site. Your Message from the orginizers,
                  >The sponcer page and the Guest Shine and history of Shoujo ai and Yuri,
                  >anything that hit a cord in me... They were all a big hit with the Lesbians
                  >groups and the Gay and Lesbian Film festivel... we'll be hearing more from
                  >them >^_^<)

                  Terrific! <beaming happy smile>

                  So I was now marching with the Gay Asians of Toronto

                  <shaking head> And you *really* don't think you have any magical powers?

                  Unbelievable...you're bloody amazing. What a weekend that sounded like.

                  Ok, fine, next year, Yuricon will have a contingent in NJ and NYC pride.

                • Seravy~
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2002
                    I just got hit by about 204 e-mails from the various
                    groups I was in, especially this one (a good thing,
                    showing how active this group is. About 3 of the RPs
                    I'm in are as quiet as dead bugs). *whew* what a work
                    out, just reading 'em then deleting... finally got to
                    this one.

                    > It turns out
                    > that the Raging Asians (the Taiko dummers) didn't
                    > make it to the show but
                    > all in all it was a good night of Lesbian Peotry,
                    > song and Lit.

                    It was sad that the the drummers weren't there... I
                    was really looking forward to it (didn't know what
                    taiko drums were until Kat told me at the concert... )

                    There was also an expressive dance to the Thong
                    Song(not sure if that's the right name) where the girl
                    actually got naked. I could honestly say that I did
                    not expect that AT ALL!

                    > heavier then I first expected it to be and Seravy
                    > carrying my art case was
                    > alot of help (plus I think she was having alot of
                    > fun with it too "Coming
                    > trough I'm an artist" as she ran into the 519 to
                    > grab a paper LOL)

                    Yep. I got a good kick outta it. Artist for a day.

                    > After wandering around for a bit and running into a
                    > few fans The amount of
                    > times someone yell "KAT!" shocked me.

                    Oh yea. Lot's of random calls. especially the biker at
                    open mouth. I didn't even see her and for a second I
                    thought Kat was just randomly waving. But as Erica
                    calls it, "it's magic".

                    > I coached Zepher and Seravy in the fine
                    > art of give out flier

                    I really wish I was a better student but some of those
                    people were quite hostile when I tried to give them
                    flyers so I got a little intimidated... Wish I could
                    have just walked up to them and shove flyers into
                    their hands while threatening them with a gun. It
                    would have been so much easier.

                    > fun. Then Zepher had to leave and finally Seravy
                    > leaving me to walk the
                    > streets alone.

                    I didn't mean to leave ya alone... Poor kat... but I
                    really wish I came on Sunday. Sounded like loads of
                    fun and I missed it. especially that lesbian asian
                    group. Would have given me the chance to try that
                    british-accent-kiss-the-hand-credit-to-kat.

                    ...Hey, ya never know...

                    Seravy
                    ~I'm in love with love

                    Post your ad for free now! http://personals.yahoo.ca