Re: Kumi and Yuri's First Kiss

  • alicewithwings
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2 10:47 PM
      > If you don't know about Alien 9 yet, try imagining a shoujo ai
      more complex
      > and confusing then Lain, more sureal then Utena and more
      depressing then
      > Grave of the fireflies.

      Damn. I loved all three of those series, but I think Alien 9 would
      kill me if it's what you say it is... lol
    • Seravy~
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3 5:15 AM
        More depressing then even Grave of the Fire Flies???!!
        (the only anime I've cried about)

        I think I better start hunting for this anime. It
        sounds really good!

        but for now *takes out her Noir while trying to study*

        Seravy
        ~I'm in love with love

      • Kathryn Williams
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3 6:18 AM
          > More depressing then even Grave of the Fire Flies???!!
          > (the only anime I've cried about)

          Note: I should mention that it is more depressing if you went through some
          of the things that the girls go through in the story and understand what the
          hell is going on. I've only found 4 other people who agree that Alien 9 is
          the most depressing Anime ever, but most were left confused by the ending.
          Many said "What the hell wat that?!?" Which is why AN had me lead a panel on
          the mediphors behind the film and why now I'm working on an essey. I just
          wish I'd had a tape recorder running during the panel because it would be
          easier then trying to remember everything that I talked about. Arrrggghhh...
          I've been out of school for 6 years so I can't even remember how to do an
          essay.

          > I think I better start hunting for this anime. It
          > sounds really good!

          You can find it on MIrc and such. I talked with US Manga Corp. and ADV and
          they both stated that they will not be toushing Alien 9 because off all the
          subject matter the film deals with. Okay, so there are mediphors of a little
          girl being raped and more of another girl sleeping with her brother it is
          not like they show anything. Hell most of the people I've talked where to
          busy trying to figure out where all the aleins came from to notice just what
          the film was really about. Yes this is a very disturbing anime to watch so
          be warned.

          > but for now *takes out her Noir while trying to study*

          Have fun

          jaa ne

          Kat
        • the_judy_justice
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3 6:40 AM

            > > I think I better start hunting for this anime. It
            > > sounds really good!
            >
            > You can find it on MIrc and such. I talked with US Manga Corp. and
            ADV and
            > they both stated that they will not be toushing Alien 9 because off
            all the
            > subject matter the film deals with.

            I was wondering, concerning the manga, does someone know where I can
            find an english or a french translation?

            Would be nice.

            -Judy
          • Kathryn Williams
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3 7:49 AM
              > I was wondering, concerning the manga, does someone know where I can
              > find an english or a french translation?

              No english so far as I can tell. Someone at AN told me they were workiin on
              it but their site is down.. or doesn't exist or something like that. I am
              going to try asking on of my fansubber friends to help me with the
              translations. Since the first half is almost exactly like the Anime it
              shouldn't be very hard to do that part but he second half is insane. I'm
              reading it trying to figure out when this Dream started to happen, One
              second Yuri is in Kumi's arms and the next she is cutting Kumi's arms and
              legs off. It took me about 30 pages to finally realize it was all a warped
              dream. I keep flipping back and forth trying to figure out when the dream
              started but I can't find the begining. Arrrggghhh... This is on strange tale
              I'll say that much. I've really got to work on my japanese.

              I'll tell everyone if I find a translation of the manga in my searchs.

              jaa ne

              Kat
            • the_judy_justice
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3 8:01 AM
                --- In Yuricon@y..., "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@s...> wrote:

                > I'll tell everyone if I find a translation of the manga in my
                searchs.

                > jaa ne
                >
                > Kat

                Thank you very much.

                Same here. If I find anything at all, that's it.

                -Judy
              • Royi Eltink
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3 11:56 AM
                  > If you don't know about Alien 9 yet, try
                  imagining a shoujo ai more
                  > complex and confusing then Lain, more sureal
                  then Utena and more
                  > depressing then Grave of the fireflies.

                  More depressing then GotF? Hmm, I think one can discuss that matter. It
                  took me two days before I recovered. I heard stories of people not daring
                  to see the movie further than 10-20 mins.
                  It might be a personal flavour or something. Alien9 called reactions at
                  my side like: "How can they possibly expose children to this?" and many
                  foul words and curses flew in the direction of the screen.

                  Ro'
                • Kathryn Williams
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 3 12:50 PM

                    More depressing then GotF? Hmm, I think one can discuss that matter. It
                    took me two days before I recovered. I heard stories of people not daring
                    to see the movie further than 10-20 mins.
                    It might be a personal flavour or something. Alien9 called reactions at
                    my side like: "How can they possibly expose children to this?" and many
                    foul words and curses flew in the direction of the screen.

                    It all depends on if one understands the pains of the film. Grave is easier to understand then Alien 9 and in many ways more emotional but for people who are rape and abuse survivors or have ever tried commiting suicide (seriously and not just playing around) Then Alien 9 is more emotional because they can relate to the characters and what they are going through. It took Hitoshi Tomizawa alot to be able to wirte Alien 9, There is even a special thanks to everyone who supported him while he worked on it, including all those who read the story. Alein 9 and Grave of the fireflies are alike in alot of ways. Akiyuki Nosaka (writer of Grave) and Hitoshi both wanted -- no, more needed -- to tell these stories. Neither cared if anyone read the story but they needed to get the story out of them. It is the same for me and my Shadowlands. I know that no one cried during Leinala's death but I was in tears writing it. These are the kind of stories I like to support because you can see the writers hearts in ever inch of the tale. Alien 9 more so because not only did Hitoshi write the story but he also did the art work. Looking at the Manga you can see how much he has grown from chapter one to the finall volume and Genco/J.C. Staff did a great job keeping true to his style when Animating it.

                    It took me weeks to recover after watching the final episode. I found myself needing to do something in memory of these childern and I did it with a AMV which I'm very proud of. So far I've seen over 6 people break down into tears watching Alien 9  and one wasn't even effected by Grave, so this tells you that everything depends on the person and the experiances they bear before watching either show. Both Alien 9 and Grave will stand in my mind as two of the best films of all time (Note: the voice actors and staff for Alien 9 were given an award for doing such a great job portraying the chracters) Like I've said Alien 9 is not for everyone but remember this, there are childern out there suffering just like Kumi, Kasumi and Yuri were. The idea that these childern may watch Alien 9 and find other children like themselves (even if they are animated) is something speical unto itself.

                    Here is a bit of info for you: Did you know that between My Neighbour Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies, Japanese parents and teachers choose Grave because it was more real and so the childern would understand others' pains. Also Fruits Basket was the top rated anime amongst girls and the 3rd overall. Japan and North America are completly different in respect to what they want their children to watch. I would rather my child watch Alien 9 then many of the other films out there to day.

                    Well that is enough of my rant.

                    Jaa ne

                    Kat