Shoujoai ni Bokuen, Issue 75

  • anilesbocon01@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11 7:26 AM
      Shoujoai ni Bokuen: The Adventures of Yuriko

      The Story So Far: Yuriko has been unjustly accused of sexual
      harassment and has left school, very likely permanently. Midori has
      showed up at her apartment to help her get through the crisis.

      Volume 5, Issue 1

      "Breakfast of Champions"

      "So, basically, that's what happened." Yuriko said, brushing her hair
      out of her eyes.

      Midori looked down at the blonde head, which lay on her arm. She
      reached out to stroke a cheek gently. "It sounds like she doesn't have
      much of a case to stand on. Her word against yours." She put her
      finger on Yuriko's lips, forestalling the obvious comment. "I know, it
      doesn't make it any better. Really, though, I'm surprised you've
      managed to get this far without anything like this popping up."

      Yuriko sat up. "What do you mean by that?" she asked, a little

      "I mean," Midori said soothingly, "I've been sued twice for plagiarism
      and once for contract violation."

      "Really?" Yuriko asked incredulously.

      "Really." Midori sat up, pulling her arm from around Yuriko's
      shoulders. "The second time I was sued, it was all over the trade
      press. I was sure my career was over, that no one would touch me with
      a ten-meter pole."

      "What happened?" Yuriko asked, interested despite herself.

      Midori gave a self-deprecating smile. "By the end of the week I had
      three agents competing to represent my next book, and calls from half
      a dozen publishing companies." She smiled wryly at the blonde. "You
      and I, we work in industries populated by vultures."

      "I suppose that's true." Yuriko agreed. "I wonder, when the news gets
      out, whether I'll be ostracized or become the new hot topic."

      "Both, most likely." Midori said.

      "Mmm." Yuriko nodded. "You're probably right." She stood, then leaned
      down over the sofa, where Midori looked up at her with tired eyes.
      "Thank you."

      Midori didn't bother pretending to not know what she meant. "You're

      Yuriko closed the distance between them. Midori leaned forward into
      the kiss.

      When they parted, Yuriko took a deep breath. "You smell wonderful."

      Midori laughed. "Thank you." She held Yuriko's face in both hands and
      searched her face. "How are you doing?"

      Yuriko put her hands on Midori's and pulled them away. "I'm fine.
      Really." She kissed one hand, then the other. "I don't know if I would
      have been, though, if you hadn't..."

      "Shhh." Midori said. "Don't even think about that."

      Their arms slipped around each other and held each other for a long

      Yuriko stood again, stretching a little. "Are you hungry? I don't have
      much food in the house, but I have a ten o'clock meeting with the

      "I'm going with you." Midori stated.

      "Why?" Yuriko looked genuinely surprised. "It'll be boring and tedious
      - as well as gut-wrenching and miserable."

      "Exactly why I'm going with you." Midori said, in a tone that brooked
      no argument. "Someone has to be there for *you,* Yuri."

      Yuriko stared down at the other woman, her eyes huge. "Say that

      "Someone has to be there for you..."Midori said, then comprehension
      dawned. "Yuri."

      "Midori." Yuriko slipped to her knees in front of the writer and
      placed her head on the woman's lap.

      "Yuri." Midori said again. Then again, whispered as she stroked the
      blonde hair beneath her hands.

      Despite herself, despite the sickening feeling she got every time she
      thought of today's deposition, despite the horrible sinking feeling
      that she experienced when she saw Mie's face in her mind, Yuriko
      smiled. Despite everything, Yuriko thought, I've never been so happy
      in my life.

      "This is not a deposition, as you know," Ishinabe said carefully. "All
      we're doing today is a little fact-finding and position juggling." The
      lawyer gave Yuriko a severe look. "If you insist on being here, then
      *I* must insist that you say nothing - regardless of what you hear, or
      what is said."

      Yuriko nodded. She could feel Midori's foot press against her own and
      she gave the writer a thankful smile.

      The lawyers arrived. The lawyer for the school was typically
      buttoned-down and conservative, but the Watanabe's lawyer looked
      sleazy, from his slicked back hair to his sharkskin suit. Yuriko's
      eyebrows rose as he greeted Ishinabe - even his voice sounded like a

      "Are we all here?" he said, his voice nasal and demanding. "Fine, then
      let's begin."

      Yuriko looked at the clock on the wall. Three hours had gone by and
      every muscle in her body ached with tension. Surely they had to take a
      break sometime soon?

      "Your client's reputation..."

      "Is completely above board and honorable." Ishinabe looked cool as the
      proverbial cucumber.

      "If you say so - I expect we won't have a hard time finding women who
      will testify to the contrary." The Watanabe's lawyer, Bando, gave
      Yuriko a nasty leer.

      "If you insist on bringing that issue up in court, we'll have to bring
      up the issue that you client has been seeing professional help for
      mental instability for several years."

      Bando let this remark slide by. Turning to the school's lawyer, he
      attempted to get a rise from him. "And don't think your client will be
      forgotten - it's the school's fault that this...woman...was allowed to
      prey on suggestible girls."

      The school lawyer simply met Bando's eyes. "The school is undertaking
      its own investigation into the matter that we believe will clear us of
      all culpability. I do not suggest your client name us in this
      ridiculous suit."

      Ishinabe shook his head. "Bando-san, your case relies on hearsay,
      rumor and insinuation, please reconsider before taking this any
      further. If you and your client insist on this course of action I will
      make sure that the girl testifies - and her story will not survive

      Yuriko moved to protest, but Ishinabe gave her a firm look. Midori put
      a hand on her arm and Yuriko subsided. Her jaw clenched in anger, but
      she said nothing.

      At last the meeting broke up and Yuriko had the chance to confront
      Ishinabe. "I thought I told you that I don't want this going to

      "And I understand that perfectly," the lawyer said smoothly. "But I
      have a job to do here - and if it means I need to intimidate a young
      girl and her family, then that's what I'm going to do. If you can't
      trust me to do my job, then this case is over right now."

      Yuriko's mouth opened, then shut with a snap. "Do your job then." She
      turned away, anger etched into every line of her bearing.

      Midori bowed briefly to the lawyer and caught up to Yuriko, her voice
      soft and pacifying.

      To Be Continued

      Shoujoai ni Bokuen, all characters and situations copyright 2001, E.