Fanimecon

  • distantskyking
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28 11:16 AM
      Well, Fanime was a bust. I don't think I've ever seen such lame
      programming, lame cosplayers, and all-around lameness in a convention
      anywhere. All they did was show anime that's been out on DVD for at
      least a year, and the few anime that *hasn't* been released States-
      side yet was presented by GAiNAX, and thus in raw Japanese (nevermind
      that I own and have watched the fansubs). I only went Saturday, and
      as it worked out I paid $30 to watch the last half hour of
      Metropolis, Jin-Roh, to sing one song at karaoke (Ultra Relax, for
      the curious...god, I loved the applause), to watch two hours worth of
      the worst anime music videos I've ever seen, and to purchase a set of
      four Noir postcards. In the off-time (which was a lot and often) I
      scoured the dealer's room for that one girl from this list, but there
      were five women alone selling cards and I couldn't tell who was who.
      Sorry I couldn't bug you. :(

      The only fun thing that happened was in the dealer's room, actually.
      GAiNAX had a dealer's table, and I went to see if they had brought
      their strip mah-jongg game (they did, but they didn't take credit
      cards...damn them). When I was there two of the fellas (one was
      Yamaga, an old-school GAiNAX producer/writer/director who did quite a
      few projects...I actually went to the con to see him, and didn't
      until then) pointed at me, and in their excited chatter they
      mentioned "Asuka" about fifteen times. I've been told before that
      I'm a dead ringer for her, but it was fun to hear it coming straight
      from GAiNAX. :) Anyhoo, I worshipped them properly and if I knew
      any Japanese I would've begged to be their slave, but as it was the
      dealer's room was closing in fifteen minutes. Le sigh. Lost
      opportunities.

      So that's my assessment of the con. AN is bound to be more
      interesting, right? Right? Someone assure me!

      Vera
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29 6:25 AM
        >From: "distantskyking" <distantskyking@...>

        >Well, Fanime was a bust.

        <snip>

        I'm sorry to hear it wasn't rollicking fun.

        AN *ought* to be better, just because there's a really whacked bunch o'
        folks running it and going to be there. But I bet Yuricon's better. LOL

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29 5:03 PM
          << AN *ought* to be better, just because there's a really whacked bunch o'
          folks running it and going to be there. But I bet Yuricon's better. LOL >>

          Of course it's going to be better ;) A con run by lesbians...how could it
          not be perfect? ;p

          Kun
          ----'-,-{@
        • distantskyking
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29 7:22 PM
            --- In Yuricon@y..., "Erica Friedman" <e.l.f.@i...> wrote:
            > I'm sorry to hear it wasn't rollicking fun.
            >
            > AN *ought* to be better, just because there's a really whacked
            bunch o'
            > folks running it and going to be there. But I bet Yuricon's better.
            LOL

            I certainly hope so. I don't think I could take another con
            experience like this one. I might have to go out and make my own fun
            (mostly likely dressing like a tentacle monster and raiding groups of
            screaming bishounen fangirls). But somehow I doubt that'd be ethical.

            Vera
          • borg9of9235
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30 10:08 PM
              --- In Yuricon@y..., "distantskyking" <distantskyking@y...> wrote:

              >In the off-time (which was a lot and often) I
              > scoured the dealer's room for that one girl from this list, but there
              > were five women alone selling cards and I couldn't tell who was who.
              > Sorry I couldn't bug you. :(

              Actually, when I said the card girl, it was for the swap meet on Friday. The saturday thing was at the Ikuhara panel in the morning. I met up with, ummmm, I think it was Sephiroth(?), I'm really bad with names. He did a kewl cosplay though, and I think I got his pic with my sign.

              As for Fanimecon being a bust, it was a lot better last year than this year, but this con had its high points, most coming at 2AM and in the form of blackmail pictures. Oh, and box.

              kage-kun
              "ookami wa ookami"
            • borg9of9235
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30 10:08 PM

                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                  --- In Yuricon@y..., "borg9of9235" <nineofnine@h...> wrote:
                  > Actually, when I said the card girl, it was for the swap meet on
                  Friday. The saturday thing was at the Ikuhara panel in the morning.
                  I met up with, ummmm, I think it was Sephiroth(?), I'm really bad
                  with names. He did a kewl cosplay though, and I think I got his pic
                  with my sign.

                  > As for Fanimecon being a bust, it was a lot better last year than
                  this year, but this con had its high points, most coming at 2AM and
                  in the form of blackmail pictures. Oh, and box.

                  Yeah, a lot of people said last year's was better. I can only assume
                  that's true since I can't see how this year's could've gotten any
                  worse. ^^;

                  Vera