Re: [Yuricon] Re: KOR

  • Trixterpriest@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2002
      > > I felt the same way about KOR - that the beginning and >ending episodes were great, but the remaining 100-odd eps >were pointless filler. I was always hoping Kysosuke would >so something interesting with his powers, or learn to >manipulate them better. In the end, I don't even know why >ESPer powers were in the anime to begin with, it was >totally superfluous. It didn't add anything to the plot.
      >
      > 100-odd eps?! hehe, Don't I wish ^_^
      >
      > I didn't see it as pointless filler.. If you carefully watch it, you can see how Kyosuke, Ayukawa, and Hikaru's relationship develops and changes.. KOR is *the* definitive love-triangle (square, pentagon, etc....) anime romance series ever.. All these other ones are failed attempts to duplicate it, IMO.

      Of course, it's not 'pointless' however it is rather disappointing to someone who was expecting grand magical schemes ;p As for the being *the* definitive anything I have this to say:

      I was actually talking about this concept with a friend and it was actually over The Lord of the Rings. I KNOW it's the first of it's kind and that Tolkien is the father of modern fantasy. However, since I've seen and read tons of fantasy stuff, (wizards, dragons, dwarves, rangers, the whole kit'n'kaboodle) then his books seem like 'same ol same ol' to me. It was the same feeling I had for KOR. I enjoyed it, however it didn't move me, because I've seem the same kind of thing over and over.

      I understand and am perfectly willing and able to accept the fact that anything came first however, growing up as I have, where these things are commonplace, stories like The Lord of the Rings and anime like Kimagure Orange Road just don't stand out.

      *does a little IMHO dance*

      Kun
      ----'-,-{@
    • Minionmancer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 7, 2002
        > > I didn't see it as pointless filler.. If you carefully watch it, you can see how Kyosuke, Ayukawa, and Hikaru's relationship develops and changes.. KOR is
        > Of course, it's not 'pointless' however it is rather disappointing to someone who was expecting grand magical schemes ;p As for the being *the* definitive

        "Disappointing" is probably a better term for how I felt than "pointless". I did notice the complex relationship between Kyosuke, Ayukawa, and Hikaru,
        and I found it intriguing. But after about ten episodes, it quickly turned boring. KOR felt stagnant to me. Kyosuke's indecisiveness and timidity drove me nuts. Granted, his behavior is realistic, but I didn't find it entertaining. The series dragged on, and the ESPer antics I was anticipating never happened. I felt the Kasuga family's abilities were an interesting concept that was never utilized.
      • Drew Torrens
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 9, 2002
          > > > I didn't see it as pointless filler.. If you carefully watch it, you
          can see how Kyosuke, Ayukawa, and Hikaru's relationship develops and
          changes.. KOR is
          > > Of course, it's not 'pointless' however it is rather disappointing to
          someone who was expecting grand magical schemes ;p As for the being *the*
          definitive

          > "Disappointing" is probably a better term for how I felt than
          "pointless". I did notice the complex relationship between Kyosuke, Ayukawa,
          and Hikaru,
          > and I found it intriguing. But after about ten episodes, it quickly turned
          boring. KOR felt stagnant to me. Kyosuke's indecisiveness and timidity drove
          me nuts. Granted, his behavior is realistic, but I didn't find it
          entertaining. The series dragged on, and the ESPer antics I was anticipating
          never happened. I felt the Kasuga family's abilities were an interesting
          concept that was never utilized.

          Drew again. Just making up for a bit of vacancy from the group (actually,
          this is also partly a substitute for the games I oh-so-recently packed away
          in a box marked "Box of Evil")

          ANYWAY, I felt that the ESPer aspects of the series falls into a category of
          similar things in other anime that I call "Backdrop Themes" The psychic
          powers are basically there to stir things up a bit on occasion, to be used
          as a plot device, and to occasionally fill space while the writers are
          thinking of how to revitalize the main elements of the story. I find this
          an incredibly common theme in anime, particularly Shoujo. Was Eva about the
          robots and aliens? Was CCS about the cards? (notice that in the later
          eps., it gets to a point where capturing cards amounts to about two minutes
          of the episode) Is Alien-9 about aliens? Quite often in anime they'll use
          sci-fi and fantasy themes as a plot device, or an alegory to some deeper
          theme in the anime. It's also used sometimes (or so I perceive it) to
          soften the blow when the subject being represented by aliens, robots, or
          cards, would be too complex or traumatic for the intended audience.

          Kat and I will be talking more on this subject in the writing lesson in the
          Manga group, but I thought I'd drop my two cents in here as well.

          TTFN,
          Drew