Re: [Yuricon] Re: KOR

  • Ken Hoinsky
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2002
      On 2002-03-03 06:55:53 Yuricon@yahoogroups.com was overheard saying:

      > Hi Kun (and everyone else)
      >
      > I felt the same way about KOR - that the beginning and >ending episodes were great, but the remaining 100-odd eps >were pointless filler. I was always hoping Kysosuke would >so something interesting with his powers, or learn to >manipulate them better. In the end, I don't even know why >ESPer powers were in the anime to begin with, it was >totally superfluous. It didn't add anything to the plot.

      100-odd eps?! hehe, Don't I wish ^_^

      I didn't see it as pointless filler.. If you carefully watch it, you can see how Kyosuke, Ayukawa, and Hikaru's relationship develops and changes.. KOR is *the* definitive love-triangle (square, pentagon, etc....) anime romance series ever.. All these other ones are failed attempts to duplicate it, IMO.

      KOR was only 48 TV eps (well, 49 if you count the pilot which is quite funny, for what it is)

      and 8 OAVs, and 2 movies.. (the second of which should have never been made grrrrrrrrrr...)

      Anyway, KOR is my favorite anime series of all time ;)

      -Ken

      ---
      Free Anime Email at AnimeNation.com - Anime Shopping ,Links, Forums, News, and more!
    • Kathryn Williams
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002

        > Close, Kat.. It's Kasuga Kyosuke ;)

        so I was half correct.. been a long time since I watched the series.. Siting
        through all the episodes was just painful for me *still twitchs at the sound
        of the word "Darling"*

        ja

        Kat
      • Minionmancer@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
          > where akane falls in love
          > with madoka, at the end they are in a bar and akane is wearing a tank top
          > with BOY written on it in english - is this meant to make her more butch or
          > something?! something that doesn't come through in the translation is that
          > akane uses the male pronoun 'boku' when talking to madoka...it's so cute!

          Thanks for reminding me of a frequently-forgotten anime lesbian! Akane's great. There is this one touching episode in which she pretends to be Kyosuke's girlfriend, and then at the end of the ep you see what's on her ceiling =)
          I noticed the "BOY" tanktop as well. I thought it was a nod to Ranma 1/2. Ranma frequently wore clothing proclaiming his true sex when he was in girl form.

          - Jess
        • Carmen DiProspero
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
            --- Minionmancer@... wrote:

            > > where akane falls in love
            > > with madoka, at the end they are in a bar and
            > akane is wearing a tank top
            > > with BOY written on it in english - is this meant
            > to make her more butch or
            > > something?! something that doesn't come through in
            > the translation is that
            > > akane uses the male pronoun 'boku' when talking to
            > madoka...it's so cute!
            >
            > Thanks for reminding me of a frequently-forgotten
            > anime lesbian! Akane's great. There is this one
            > touching episode in which she pretends to be
            > Kyosuke's girlfriend, and then at the end of the ep
            > you see what's on her ceiling =)

            I remember that episode also!! I love that ep so much.
            I really felt for Akane! I believe the episode is
            called "An Unexpected Situation". It is in "KOR OVA
            Volume 4" which also features "Message In Rouge",
            which Madoka thinks she saw her father cheating on her
            mother (really, he was removing an eyelash from a lady
            he was with), runs away from home and to Kyosuke's
            house. I know, I have the VHS copy of it, and it is
            almost worn out because I viewed the "An Unexpected
            Situation" (Akane asks Kyosuke to pretend to be her
            boyfriend). - Carmen ^_^ (Wanna see a Madoka/Akane KOR
            yuri fic!! - Anyone know any?)

            > I noticed the "BOY" tanktop as well. I thought it
            > was a nod to Ranma 1/2. Ranma frequently wore
            > clothing proclaiming his true sex when he was in
            > girl form.
            >
            > - Jess

            http://sports.yahoo.com
          • cricharddavies
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5, 2002
              --- In Yuricon@y..., Carmen DiProspero <cjd207@y...> wrote:
              > - Carmen ^_^ (Wanna see a Madoka/Akane KOR
              > yuri fic!! - Anyone know any?)

              There has been one: it's by She-Hulk, and is probably findable on
              that author's page -- though I can't remember the URL right now.

              Chris Davies.
            • Trixterpriest@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2002
                > > I felt the same way about KOR - that the beginning and >ending episodes were great, but the remaining 100-odd eps >were pointless filler. I was always hoping Kysosuke would >so something interesting with his powers, or learn to >manipulate them better. In the end, I don't even know why >ESPer powers were in the anime to begin with, it was >totally superfluous. It didn't add anything to the plot.
                >
                > 100-odd eps?! hehe, Don't I wish ^_^
                >
                > I didn't see it as pointless filler.. If you carefully watch it, you can see how Kyosuke, Ayukawa, and Hikaru's relationship develops and changes.. KOR is *the* definitive love-triangle (square, pentagon, etc....) anime romance series ever.. All these other ones are failed attempts to duplicate it, IMO.

                Of course, it's not 'pointless' however it is rather disappointing to someone who was expecting grand magical schemes ;p As for the being *the* definitive anything I have this to say:

                I was actually talking about this concept with a friend and it was actually over The Lord of the Rings. I KNOW it's the first of it's kind and that Tolkien is the father of modern fantasy. However, since I've seen and read tons of fantasy stuff, (wizards, dragons, dwarves, rangers, the whole kit'n'kaboodle) then his books seem like 'same ol same ol' to me. It was the same feeling I had for KOR. I enjoyed it, however it didn't move me, because I've seem the same kind of thing over and over.

                I understand and am perfectly willing and able to accept the fact that anything came first however, growing up as I have, where these things are commonplace, stories like The Lord of the Rings and anime like Kimagure Orange Road just don't stand out.

                *does a little IMHO dance*

                Kun
                ----'-,-{@
              • Minionmancer@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 7, 2002
                  > > I didn't see it as pointless filler.. If you carefully watch it, you can see how Kyosuke, Ayukawa, and Hikaru's relationship develops and changes.. KOR is
                  > Of course, it's not 'pointless' however it is rather disappointing to someone who was expecting grand magical schemes ;p As for the being *the* definitive

                  "Disappointing" is probably a better term for how I felt than "pointless". I did notice the complex relationship between Kyosuke, Ayukawa, and Hikaru,
                  and I found it intriguing. But after about ten episodes, it quickly turned boring. KOR felt stagnant to me. Kyosuke's indecisiveness and timidity drove me nuts. Granted, his behavior is realistic, but I didn't find it entertaining. The series dragged on, and the ESPer antics I was anticipating never happened. I felt the Kasuga family's abilities were an interesting concept that was never utilized.
                • Drew Torrens
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 9, 2002
                    > > > I didn't see it as pointless filler.. If you carefully watch it, you
                    can see how Kyosuke, Ayukawa, and Hikaru's relationship develops and
                    changes.. KOR is
                    > > Of course, it's not 'pointless' however it is rather disappointing to
                    someone who was expecting grand magical schemes ;p As for the being *the*
                    definitive

                    > "Disappointing" is probably a better term for how I felt than
                    "pointless". I did notice the complex relationship between Kyosuke, Ayukawa,
                    and Hikaru,
                    > and I found it intriguing. But after about ten episodes, it quickly turned
                    boring. KOR felt stagnant to me. Kyosuke's indecisiveness and timidity drove
                    me nuts. Granted, his behavior is realistic, but I didn't find it
                    entertaining. The series dragged on, and the ESPer antics I was anticipating
                    never happened. I felt the Kasuga family's abilities were an interesting
                    concept that was never utilized.

                    Drew again. Just making up for a bit of vacancy from the group (actually,
                    this is also partly a substitute for the games I oh-so-recently packed away
                    in a box marked "Box of Evil")

                    ANYWAY, I felt that the ESPer aspects of the series falls into a category of
                    similar things in other anime that I call "Backdrop Themes" The psychic
                    powers are basically there to stir things up a bit on occasion, to be used
                    as a plot device, and to occasionally fill space while the writers are
                    thinking of how to revitalize the main elements of the story. I find this
                    an incredibly common theme in anime, particularly Shoujo. Was Eva about the
                    robots and aliens? Was CCS about the cards? (notice that in the later
                    eps., it gets to a point where capturing cards amounts to about two minutes
                    of the episode) Is Alien-9 about aliens? Quite often in anime they'll use
                    sci-fi and fantasy themes as a plot device, or an alegory to some deeper
                    theme in the anime. It's also used sometimes (or so I perceive it) to
                    soften the blow when the subject being represented by aliens, robots, or
                    cards, would be too complex or traumatic for the intended audience.

                    Kat and I will be talking more on this subject in the writing lesson in the
                    Manga group, but I thought I'd drop my two cents in here as well.

                    TTFN,
                    Drew