Re: [Yuricon] philly

  • Chalcahuite
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2002
      Sorry, its taken so long to reply, but my life's been really hectic the last
      couple of days.

      Anyway. Sunday and Monday, hmm. Well, South Street is always a mecca for
      tourists and suburbanites, it has some cool stores and places to eat, and
      can be best described as a poor man's greenwich village, but like everything
      popular these days its very trendy and commercialized. Pretty much the area
      you want to visit is South Street (obviously) between Front Street and 10th
      Street. There is a comic/anime store on South Street, that's changed hands a
      couple of times, so I can't remember its name now, but I believe its between
      4th and 5th. Chinatown is also worth checking out, which is the area
      between Arch and Vine and 7th and 11th. There are some cool shops here, but
      not much in the way of anime or manga. Around University City, where Drexel
      is at, starting at 34th and Walnut is the Penn Bookstore complex, which is
      now a mall of sorts, and when I visited it was a bit eclectic.

      After checking there's not a lot of places open Sunday (Old Blue laws still
      on the books) or Monday that are 18 and over, most of the places I thought
      were worth checking out are 21+. Like Woody's, which if you like to dance,
      has an awesome dance night on Sunday's. And Movie Night at the Balcony in
      Chinatown is always fun. But I have forgotten how unfriendly Philly is if
      you're under 21.

      When you get into town, pick up a copy of the City Paper or the Philadelphia
      Weekly. They're free and they have a pretty comprehensive listing of
      activities in the Center City area.

      Hopefully, this helps.

      --= =--
      Chalcahuite
      "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
      than to those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas Jefferson.

    • Dana G.
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2002
        thank you so much. ^_^ it's okay about being late, i got it just in time. of
        course, i didn't reply but that's because i'm stupid like that.
        regretfully, i hurt my leg just before leaving (i didn't break it, but i
        just "revisited" an old injury) so i spent most of the time hobbling around
        in the hotel room on my cane. i'm sure it was a funny site seeing a girl
        hobble around on a cane on a college tour in philedelphia for all those who
        share my sense of humor. i sure found it amusing, but then again, i'm rather
        used to it. *sigh*
        anyway, thank you so much. i'll be returning to philly this summer around
        the same time so even if i could not do this stuff now perhaps by then i
        will be able to.
        thanks again.

        nebula

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > "Your absence has gone through me
        > Like thread through a needle.
        > Everything I do is stitched with its color"
        >
        > "The boat delicately graced the surface of the serene lake exactly the
        way a
        > bowling ball wouldn't..."
        >
        > "His disappearance was as noticed as the disappearance of the period
        after
        > the Dr in Dr Pepper..."
        >
        > "Caffeine is my sheperd: I shall not doze.
        > It maketh me to wake in green pastures:
        > It leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.
        > It restoreth my buzz:
        > It leadeth me in the paths of consciousness for its name's sake.
        > Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of addiction
        > I will fear no Equal(tm):
        > For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar comfort me.
        > Thou preparest a carafe by me in the presence of Juan Valdez.
        > Thou anointest my day with pep: my mug runneth over.
        > Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life:
        > And I shall dwell in the House of Maxwell forever.
        > Amen."

        "Your absence has gone through me
        Like thread through a needle.
        Everything I do is stitched with its color"

        "The boat delicately graced the surface of the serene lake exactly the way a
        bowling ball wouldn't..."

        "His disappearance was as noticed as the disappearance of the period after
        the Dr in Dr Pepper..."

        "Caffeine is my sheperd: I shall not doze.
        It maketh me to wake in green pastures:
        It leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.
        It restoreth my buzz:
        It leadeth me in the paths of consciousness for its name's sake.
        Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of addiction
        I will fear no Equal(tm):
        For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar comfort me.
        Thou preparest a carafe by me in the presence of Juan Valdez.
        Thou anointest my day with pep: my mug runneth over.
        Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life:
        And I shall dwell in the House of Maxwell forever.
        Amen."

      • dziwozony
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2002
          --- In Yuricon@y..., "Dana G." <snebula32@h...> wrote:
          > i'll be returning to philly this summer around the same time so even
          > if i could not do this stuff now perhaps by then i will be able to.

          Entertainment in Philly:

          There *is* a very cool comics/gaming (possibly anime) store on South
          St.; one of my friends used to manage it and damned if I can't
          remember the name right now. There's also a wacky tattoo place called
          Inferno that another friend may still manage. If you're into dealing
          with wacky people and wacky things, check Harry's Occult. If you're
          more of a New Agey persuasion, check out Garland of Letters. There's
          also the GLBT store, Giovanni's Room, a few blocks north of South St.

          In any case, if you are in Philly for a little while, and you have a
          little more flexibility to travel a short way, drop down to Claymont,
          Delaware. There's not much there except my favorite
          scifi/gaming/anime/comic/bookstore ever, Between Books. Once you hand
          over your lifesavings to Greg, the very nice man behind the counter,
          you can run across the street to have a water ice or gelati at
          whatever they're calling the water ice joint this year. :)

          Jude
        • Chalcahuite
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2002
            Well, I'm glad you got it time, and its a shame you got hurt before coming
            down. Most of what I suggested should hold up for a summer visit, but the
            crowds get a little larger in some places.
            Your welcome and hopefully you'll have fun when you come down here.

            --= =--