[Yuricon] Happy Groundhogs Day!

  • Trixterpriest@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2002
      Happy little critter day ;p Anyone know if he saw his shadow today or not?

      *does a little groundhog dance*

      Kun
      ----'-,-{@
    • katyae0211
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2002
        --- In Yuricon@y..., Trixterpriest@a... wrote:
        > Happy little critter day ;p Anyone know if he saw his shadow today
        or not?

        > *does a little groundhog dance*
        >
        > Kun
        > ----'-,-{@

        I don't know about the groundhog. However, groundhog's day is based
        off of weather divination performed for Imbolc (also 2 Feb) in pre-
        Christian Europe. Usually it simply was that if you had
        cloudy/stormy weather on Imbolc, spring was soon to come, but if it
        was a fair day, there would be 12 more snows before spring. In
        Central Europe, they modified this to include an animal, the
        hedgehog, in the weather divination. When German immigrants come to
        Pennsylvania (the "Pennsylvania Dutch"), they brought the tradition
        with them, but there were no hedgehogs in the "New World". They
        adapted the tradition to the native animal most resembling a
        hedgehog; the groundhog (or woodchuck).

        Divination was practiced on all of the cross-quarter days in pre-
        Christian Europe, and weather divination was associated with Imbolc
        because the people wanted to know when winter would be ending, and
        the planting season could begin.

        Sorry about getting to off-topic. Just had to share the things that
        I learned yesterday. :)

        Katya