Re: [Yuricon] my first erotic story!

  • Carmen DiProspero
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
      --- PhoenixStar15@... wrote:
      > I'm not going to post it up here don't worry . . .
      > but it's yuri and I'm
      > proud of it. It's actually a present for someone,
      > but I was like, let's put
      > it up on fanfiction.net! So here is the link:
      > http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=574609
      > You can check it out or
      > not. There's sex in it, but since when is that a
      > bad thing? Yeah someone
      > reviewed it about the grammar and stuff . . . well
      > the review is there. XP
      > I shouldn't listen to people who only write G-rated
      > fanfics ne?
      >

      > meghan
      > the one engaged

      Don't feel bad, Meg. Because I have gotten reviewed
      due to my grammar & a few slight spelling errors (so
      grammar was my best subject, and my comp at the time
      didn't have spell-check). Even though I haven't
      written anything new lately, maybe I'll get back in
      the sming of things. But i'll check your fic out. Good
      luck with it! - Carmen ^_^ (someone somewhere will
      appreciate your fanworks!!)

      http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • PhoenixStar15@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2002
        <<<I college... attend to plan>Don't feel bad, Meg. Because I have gotten reviewed
        due to my grammar & a few slight spelling errors (so
        grammar was my best subject, and my comp at the time
        didn't have spell-check). Even though I haven't
        written anything new lately, maybe I'll get back in
        the sming of things. But i'll check your fic out. Good
        luck with it! - Carmen ^_^ (someone somewhere will
        appreciate your fanworks!!)>>

        ^_^  Domo arigatou!  The story was appreciated by the person it was written for so that's all that really matters, but I just didn't need someone telling me "you have unweildy verbiage" when I don't know where the hell my unweildy verbiage is, and who says unweildy verbaige anyway?  *shrugs*

        meghan
        the one engaged

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2002
          --- PhoenixStar15@... wrote:
          > <<<I college... attend to plan>Don't feel bad, Meg.
          > Because I have gotten
          > reviewed
          > due to my grammar & a few slight spelling errors (so
          > grammar was my best subject, and my comp at the time

          I have to correct myself on this one! I meant to say
          that Grammar wasn't always my best subject. Sorry
          about that, I was writing it while i was getting ready
          for work tonight. Continued luck with it and other
          future works of fanfiction you may have plans for.
          Me.....I'm concentrating on updating my COSPIX website
          and will put the continuing fanfic writing on the
          backburner, or until I have a new idea to write about.
          - Carmen ^_^ (haven't given up writing fanfiction
          yet!)

          > didn't have spell-check). Even though I haven't
          > written anything new lately, maybe I'll get back in
          > the sming of things. But i'll check your fic out.
          > Good
          > luck with it! - Carmen ^_^ (someone somewhere will
          > appreciate your fanworks!!)>>
          >
          > ^_^ Domo arigatou! The story was appreciated by
          > the person it was written
          > for so that's all that really matters, but I just
          > didn't need someone telling
          > me "you have unweildy verbiage" when I don't know
          > where the hell my unweildy
          > verbiage is, and who says unweildy verbaige anyway?
          > *shrugs*
          >

          > meghan
          > the one engaged
          >
          > "i'm not asking for forgiveness
          > for the things that i don't know
          > but i'm really not that different
          > you just made me think so
          >
          > everyone's a junkie-olp
          >
          > e-mail phoenixstar15@... aim phoenixstar15
          > livejournal edens_echo

          http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • Lucy Kennedy
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2002
            Meghan said:
            > I just didn't need someone telling me "you have
            > unweildy verbiage" when I don't know where the hell
            > my unweildy verbiage is, and who says unweildy
            > verbaige anyway? *shrugs*

            Ironically, of course, the phrase 'unwieldy verbiage' is
            itself unwieldy verbiage :)

            Lucy

            --
            Lucy Kennedy * New College, Oxford
            http://users.ox.ac.uk/~newc1248/ - evolving home site
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2002
              >From: Lucy Kennedy <lucy.kennedy@...>

              > > I just didn't need someone telling me "you have
              > > unweildy verbiage" when I don't know where the hell
              > > my unweildy verbiage is, and who says unweildy
              > > verbaige anyway? *shrugs*
              >
              >Ironically, of course, the phrase 'unwieldy verbiage' is
              >itself unwieldy verbiage :)

              At the FR, we call it being "wordbound." :-)

              However, since I really feel strongly about this, I do want to weigh in with
              a few comments.

              Grammar and syntax really ARE that important in a story. Really. You can
              never be over proffread or overedited in the fanfic world. I just read a
              story of mine from a while back, and despite many readings (and alot of
              positive feedback) I just found some really mortifying errors. As soon as I
              have a chance, I'll be making corrections.

              If your spelling and grammar aren't up to snuff, then get the story
              proofread by someone whose is. It's not hard, there are a gazillion people
              who want to help you, and it will solve those pesky problems like gratuitous
              spelling eroors. :-) Don't take offense - take action. There's just no
              reason why fanfic has to be substandard writing - unless you're a lazy
              writer.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2002
                I'd like to note that the several spelling errors in the previous email were
                there on purpose. LOL

              • Carmen DiProspero
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2002
                  --- Erica Friedman <e.l.f.@...> wrote:
                  > >From: Lucy Kennedy <lucy.kennedy@...>
                  >
                  > > > I just didn't need someone telling me "you have
                  > > > unweildy verbiage" when I don't know where the
                  > hell
                  > > > my unweildy verbiage is, and who says unweildy
                  > > > verbaige anyway? *shrugs*
                  > >
                  > >Ironically, of course, the phrase 'unwieldy
                  > verbiage' is
                  > >itself unwieldy verbiage :)
                  >
                  > At the FR, we call it being "wordbound." :-)
                  >
                  > However, since I really feel strongly about this, I
                  > do want to weigh in with
                  > a few comments.
                  >
                  > Grammar and syntax really ARE that important in a
                  > story. Really. You can
                  > never be over proffread or overedited in the fanfic
                  > world. I just read a
                  > story of mine from a while back, and despite many
                  > readings (and alot of
                  > positive feedback) I just found some really
                  > mortifying errors. As soon as I
                  > have a chance, I'll be making corrections.
                  >
                  > If your spelling and grammar aren't up to snuff,
                  > then get the story
                  > proofread by someone whose is. It's not hard, there
                  > are a gazillion people
                  > who want to help you, and it will solve those pesky
                  > problems like gratuitous
                  > spelling eroors. :-) Don't take offense - take
                  > action. There's just no
                  > reason why fanfic has to be substandard writing -
                  > unless you're a lazy
                  > writer.

                  Excellent advice, and advice well taken. This inspired
                  me enough to get back in the swing of writing a new
                  fic or even continuing a few of my own stories. It's
                  always good to know that, as you said, there are lots
                  out there who want to help you with grammar and
                  spelling errors and all (and believe me, Grammar was
                  never a fave subject of mine). - Carmen ^_^ (looking
                  through fansub collection to see what to watch instead
                  of Super Bowl...let's see...there's Miracle
                  Girls...the last 4 eps of Seraphim Call....or Boys
                  Be....maybe Sentimental Journey...)

                  Thanx again for posting this advice. ^_^

                  > Yuricon 2002 - "For real women who like their
                  > women...animated."
                  > http://www.yuricon.org

                  > The Fanfic Revolution -
                  > http://www.fanficrevolution.org
                  >
                  > Because fanfic does not have to suck

                  http://auctions.yahoo.com
                • Lucy Kennedy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2002
                    Erica Friedman wrote:
                    > If your spelling and grammar aren't up to snuff, then get the story
                    > proofread by someone whose is. It's not hard, there are a gazillion people
                    > who want to help you, and it will solve those pesky problems like gratuitous
                    > spelling eroors. :-)

                    On that note, I thought I might as well add that if anyone
                    does need extra proof-reading or beta-testing on fanfic,
                    etc, I'm more than willing to help out. I am not a fanfic
                    author myself, though I have a little idea for a Sailor Moon
                    lemon knocking around waiting for me to go back and watch
                    the early episodes again. However, I am, though I say it
                    myself, pretty good on grammar and spelling, and indeed
                    style (examples of my writing can be found on my webpage,
                    link below, mostly non-fiction article type stuff), and very
                    much enjoy reading fanfic for series with which I am
                    familiar. I can be a bit of a pedant with stylistic issues,
                    but I'll restrain myself! Feel free to ask.

                    Lucy

                    --
                    Lucy Kennedy * New College, Oxford
                    http://users.ox.ac.uk/~newc1248/ - evolving home site
                    http://pendragon.linc.ox.ac.uk/~lucy/ - art pages
                  • katyae0211
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2002
                      --- In Yuricon@y..., "Erica Friedman" <e.l.f.@i...> wrote:
                      > If your spelling and grammar aren't up to snuff, then get the story
                      > proofread by someone whose is. It's not hard, there are a gazillion
                      people
                      > who want to help you, and it will solve those pesky problems like
                      gratuitous
                      > spelling eroors. :-) Don't take offense - take action. There's just
                      no
                      > reason why fanfic has to be substandard writing - unless you're a
                      lazy
                      > writer.

                      Heck, even if you are a great speller with impeccable grammar, you
                      can probably benefit from some proofreading and editing. This is why
                      I always submit my writings to someone else to edit for me. I'm
                      usually a bit close to my work, and that will cause me to overlook
                      some glaring errors, since I know what I mean.

                      Katya
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 4, 2002
                        >From: "katyae0211" <kate0211@...>

                        >Heck, even if you are a great speller with impeccable grammar, you
                        >can probably benefit from some proofreading and editing.

                        Absolutely. Indubitably.

                        This is why
                        >I always submit my writings to someone else to edit for me. I'm
                        >usually a bit close to my work, and that will cause me to overlook
                        >some glaring errors, since I know what I mean.

                        Our copywriters at work used to have a poster up that said, "Love is blind."

                        If you, for some reason don't have access to someone who can help proofread
                        and copy edit (two totally different functions, which most people don't
                        understand) then at least changing the font and color of yout text, changing
                        the page layout, or printing it out, will give your eyes a fresh perspective
                        on your story.

                        Oh, heck...I'm not busy this morning...I'll try and pound out a how to for
                        writing.