[Yuricon] Tis sad news....

  • Trixterpriest@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002
      Ohayo Minna...

      I'm not sure if any of you had the same influences as I did as a child. However one of my many childhood pleasures, and also a significant influence on myself, were the stories of Pippi Longstockings. That strong, fearless, orange-haired sprite encouraged me in alot of my childhood endeavors and I still remember many of the stories.

      The wonderful lady who brought us these stories, Astrid Lindgren died this Monday. In her 94 years she created many children's stories...

      Kun
      ----'-,-{@
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002
        >From: Trixterpriest@...
        >The wonderful lady who brought us these stories, Astrid Lindgren died this
        >Monday. In her 94 years she created many children's stories...

        I saw that - I was saddened. I loved those books. :-) I think that's why I
        like One Piece so much - Rufi is a boy Piipi! :-)

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002
          > >The wonderful lady who brought us these stories, Astrid Lindgren died this
          > >Monday. In her 94 years she created many children's stories...
          >
          > I saw that - I was saddened. I loved those books. :-) I think that's why I
          > like One Piece so much - Rufi is a boy Piipi! :-)

          I never thought about it, but you're right! =^.^=

          *does a little longstockings dance*

          Kun
          ----'-,-{@
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002
            >From: Trixterpriest@...

            > > I saw that - I was saddened. I loved those books. :-) I think that's why
            > > like One Piece so much - Rufi is a boy Piipi! :-)
            > >

            >I never thought about it, but you're right! =^.^=
            >
            >*does a little longstockings dance*

            I thought that almost immediately, then spent the best part of an hour
            trying to explain to P who Pippi was. LOL

          • eleloi
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002
              --- In Yuricon@y..., "Erica Friedman" <e.l.f.@i...> wrote:

              > I thought that almost immediately, then spent the best part of an
              hour
              > trying to explain to P who Pippi was. LOL

              Not know who Pippi is? I loved Pippi Longstockings when I was a girl.
              She was the strongest girl we ever got to read about (Nancy Drew was
              the smartest). I wished I could have a Villa Villakulla.

              --Lel
            • Trixterpriest@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 30, 2002
                << > > like One Piece so much - Rufi is a boy Piipi! :-)

                >I never thought about it, but you're right! =^.^=
                >
                >*does a little longstockings dance*

                I thought that almost immediately, then spent the best part of an hour
                trying to explain to P who Pippi was. LOL >>

                She was deprived as a child wasn't she? ;p

                Kun
                ---'-,-{@
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002
                  >From: Trixterpriest@...

                  > I thought that almost immediately, then spent the best part of an hour
                  > trying to explain to P who Pippi was. LOL >>
                  >

                  >She was deprived as a child wasn't she? ;p

                  She read stuff like "A Little Princess" and other faux-Victorian girl
                  novels. LOL I read adventure stuff - coboys and pirates and sports books.

                • Alex Picchetti
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2002
                    << She read stuff like "A Little Princess" and other faux-Victorian girl
                     novels. LOL I read adventure stuff - coboys and pirates and sports books. >>

                    <<Heheh...I was reading hardcore fantasy and science fiction ;p I never read A
                    Little Princess...although I did enjoy The Secret Garden.>>
                    I read Pippi, Little Princess, and The Secret Garden... *thinks* other than that... Bridge to Terebithia ^^ can't remember much else...

                    -Alex
                  • Trixterpriest@aol.com

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
                        >From: Trixterpriest@...
                        >
                        >Heheh...I was reading hardcore fantasy and science fiction ;p I never read
                        >Little Princess...although I did enjoy The Secret Garden.

                        Read scifi too - went through my Dad's scifi (and soft porn) collection by
                        the time I was 12. It's really no wonder at all, is it, that I turned out
                        this way...

                        LOL

                      • Ashke
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
                          >> I thought that almost immediately, then spent the best part of an
                          >hour trying to explain to P who Pippi was. LOL
                          >
                          >Not know who Pippi is? I loved Pippi Longstockings when I was a girl.
                          >She was the strongest girl we ever got to read about (Nancy Drew was
                          >the smartest). I wished I could have a Villa Villakulla.

                          When my hair was shorter, I had the habit of braiding it on the sides, and
                          one of my co-workers would always call me Pippi. Always loved those books,
                          and bought them all again just last year. I think my favorite game in them
                          was traversing the room without stepping on the floor. At random times
                          throughout my life, I've looked at a room and plotted out a course to take
                          that wouldn't include the floor. *grin*

                          --Ashke.
                        • eleloi
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
                            --- In Yuricon@y..., "Ashke" <ashke@m...> wrote:

                            > I think my favorite game in them was traversing the room without
                            stepping on the floor. At random times throughout my life, I've
                            looked at a room and plotted out a course to take that wouldn't
                            include the floor. *grin*

                            Oh... I still do that too. I actually follow through and walk on the
                            couches and coffee table. Of course my husband isn't home when I do
                            this. ^-^

                            --Lel
                          • shanejayell2000
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 1, 2002
                              Hmm, I read the Secret Garden, too. Interesting.

                              One reason I read a lot of Sci-fi in my youth is that it's one of the
                              few kinds of mainstream fiction with lesbian and gay characters in
                              them. Mercedes Lacky, Gail Baudino, Spider Robinson, etc. etc.

                              http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.