Re: So...go see Metropolis!

  • mugenharuka
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2002
      > BTW if ANYONE can get to see the new movie METROPOLIS on the big
      screen I
      > recommend you do so! THere's no yuri content, but the animation is
      just
      > KILLER! I got a promo tape of it though my work.. and it rocks! the
      Dubbign
      > isn't bad either. I just wish we could get it on the big screen out
      here in
      > the hicksticks! The screenplay is written by Katshuhiro Otomo ( he
      did
      > Akira), Directed by Rintaro ( of Galaxy 999 fame), and based on the
      manga by
      > Osamu Tezuka the creator of Astro boy.. without the "happy
      cheerfulness of
      > Astro. Very nice piece of work all told!. You folks are really
      Lucky to get
      > it onthe movie screen.. I'm jelouse!
      >
      > Erika =)~

      I just saw Metropolis on Friday, at the NuArt (because we get all the
      best films here in LA!), and it was UNDUBBED (meaning actual original
      artistic vision) and very interesting.

      As with most of the anime movies I've seen, it had a healthy share of
      story flaws, but it more than made up for it with fantastic sense of
      style. The music was also perfect, and the animation (ooh the
      animation) was not only based on Tezuka's design work, but also
      seemed to be animated in a retro tradition, with over-
      exaggerated "cartoon shorts" movements.

      Too bad you don't all live in LA or NY. We also got the Escaflowne
      movie on Friday ... but it's dubbed, and thus, terrible. Although,
      to be frank, that film was maybe a little bit terrible before the
      dubbing, too.

      Toodle-pip
      MugenH

      PS. Dibs on Tima.
    • kuwabara_kun
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2002
        --- In Yuricon@y..., "mugenharuka" <mugenharuka@y...> wrote:

        > I just saw Metropolis on Friday, at the NuArt (because we get all
        the
        > best films here in LA!), and it was UNDUBBED (meaning actual
        original
        > artistic vision) and very interesting.

        It's playing at the Nuart???? Cool!! I'm gonna have to check it
        out. I looked it up on moviefone.com and it gave the review for the
        old Fritz Lang film of the same name! So i thought they were playing
        the old one. >_<

        Jason
      • Minionmancer@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2002
          > Too bad you don't all live in LA or NY. We also got the Escaflowne
          > movie on Friday ... but it's dubbed, and thus, terrible. Although,
          > to be frank, that film was maybe a little bit terrible before the
          > dubbing, too.

          I haven't seen Metropolis yet. It's been selling out (yay for anime!) DESPITE the fact that neither it nor Escaflowne has been advertised. The posters for it are indoors, the titles are not displayed on the marquee, and moviefone does not have either movie listed. At least the movies are getting positive newspaper exposure.
          I enjoyed the Escaflowne movie. It's inferior to the TV series, but I think it was as almost as good as it could have been. It would be impossible to have the same level of character development and plot twists the series had. I would have liked a REASON for Hitomi to be a suicidal depressive. The movie felt like an action flick - fun to watch, albeit shallow. There are some people who actually like the movie BETTER, preferring this version of Hitomi...