Re: What are we watching? Summer 2013 Edition

  • Lyn
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 24, 2013
      What's "furjoshi" bait? This summer I'm watching my way through "Saiyuki." Zero yuri but classic series.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 27, 2013
        "Fujoshi" (or fujyoshi) are female otaku who like to watch anime with unrealistic pretty boy...like Free! or Saiyuki. ^_^ I have a bunch of such terms gathered together on my Okazu Glossary: http://okazu.yuricon.com/glossary/ TV Tropes also has a nice list: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeFanSpeak

        But fan language changes all the time, so when you run into a word you don't know searching online for it can turn up some interesting stuff, since it might be newish...or oldish. ^_^

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 29, 2013
          Thanks for the refresher. It's been a while since I came across the term, obviously. And I'm guessing it's a lot easier to find explanations of manga-related terms on the Internet now than even five years ago.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 30, 2013
            Getting information on ever-changing sang is always a challenge. ^_^ That's why I wrote the Okazu Glossary.

            If anyone is interested in words used by Japanese fandom - where they come from, what they mean, whats hot right now, there is a wonderful blog on the topic: Japanese words of anime fans, by anime fans, for anime fans: Japanese words of anime fans, by anime fans, for anime fans http://bangin.wordpress.com/

            The blogger, Bangin, is also an avid cosplayer, so you'll see a lot of posts about his cosplay too. Don't let that surprise you or put you off. He write essays about the words being used right now by Japanese fandom. It's a fantastic glimpse into an ever-changing language. ^_^