Re: [Yuricon] What are we watching? Summer 2013 Edition

  • Grisznak
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 23 8:46 AM
      Fate/Kaleid Prism Ilya - because I'm Nasuverse geek. And there's quite cute love/hate relationship between Rin and Luvia.And because I simply love magical girls series.
      cheers
      Grisznak

      2013/7/23 EricaF <anilesbocon01@...>

      Hi all! It's summer, and I'm a typical geek. When the weather gets too sunny and bright, I hunker down on the sofa and watch anime. ^_^ With so much available streaming legally and on DVD, I don't feel like I miss much these days. Here's what I'm watching:

      Rose of Versailles - from Nozomi/RightStuf

      I'd forgotten how hard a watch this series is. I can only take an episode or two at a time. Oscar and Rosalie, swoon.
      French Revolution felt wholly unreal to me the first time I watched, but it's hitting closer to home this time - way too many feels.

      Serial Experiments Lain - from Funimation

      Really? Wow, I remember this when. Now The Wired seems like my every day. Lain's modifications on her computer are goofy (giant hanging hoses?) and it's creepier than I remembered. Good stuff.

      Dangan Ronpa - from Funimation

      I don't know what to say about this. It's a horror/gore game turned into an anime with some really lazy/smart visuals and Ogata Megumi as the nebbishy hero. I don't care what happens, I'm watching hoping she'll scream. ^_^

      So - what are you watching right now?

    • Katie
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 23 5:51 PM
        I'm also watching Dangan Ronpa (which I call Doggone Ron Paul!) .

        Attack on Titan continues to be pretty good, and I'm FINALLY watching Madoka.

        --Katie
      • Lyn
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 24 11:28 AM
          What's "furjoshi" bait? This summer I'm watching my way through "Saiyuki." Zero yuri but classic series.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 27 6:49 AM
            "Fujoshi" (or fujyoshi) are female otaku who like to watch anime with unrealistic pretty boy...like Free! or Saiyuki. ^_^ I have a bunch of such terms gathered together on my Okazu Glossary: http://okazu.yuricon.com/glossary/ TV Tropes also has a nice list: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeFanSpeak

            But fan language changes all the time, so when you run into a word you don't know searching online for it can turn up some interesting stuff, since it might be newish...or oldish. ^_^

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 29 1:19 PM
              Thanks for the refresher. It's been a while since I came across the term, obviously. And I'm guessing it's a lot easier to find explanations of manga-related terms on the Internet now than even five years ago.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 30 6:10 PM
                Getting information on ever-changing sang is always a challenge. ^_^ That's why I wrote the Okazu Glossary.

                If anyone is interested in words used by Japanese fandom - where they come from, what they mean, whats hot right now, there is a wonderful blog on the topic: Japanese words of anime fans, by anime fans, for anime fans: Japanese words of anime fans, by anime fans, for anime fans http://bangin.wordpress.com/

                The blogger, Bangin, is also an avid cosplayer, so you'll see a lot of posts about his cosplay too. Don't let that surprise you or put you off. He write essays about the words being used right now by Japanese fandom. It's a fantastic glimpse into an ever-changing language. ^_^