Re: [Yuricon] What are we watching? Summer 2013 Edition

  • Grisznak
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
      Fate/Kaleid Prism Ilya - because I'm Nasuverse geek. And there's quite cute love/hate relationship between Rin and Luvia.And because I simply love magical girls series.
      cheers
      Grisznak

      2013/7/23 EricaF <anilesbocon01@...>

      Hi all! It's summer, and I'm a typical geek. When the weather gets too sunny and bright, I hunker down on the sofa and watch anime. ^_^ With so much available streaming legally and on DVD, I don't feel like I miss much these days. Here's what I'm watching:

      Rose of Versailles - from Nozomi/RightStuf

      I'd forgotten how hard a watch this series is. I can only take an episode or two at a time. Oscar and Rosalie, swoon.
      French Revolution felt wholly unreal to me the first time I watched, but it's hitting closer to home this time - way too many feels.

      Serial Experiments Lain - from Funimation

      Really? Wow, I remember this when. Now The Wired seems like my every day. Lain's modifications on her computer are goofy (giant hanging hoses?) and it's creepier than I remembered. Good stuff.

      Dangan Ronpa - from Funimation

      I don't know what to say about this. It's a horror/gore game turned into an anime with some really lazy/smart visuals and Ogata Megumi as the nebbishy hero. I don't care what happens, I'm watching hoping she'll scream. ^_^

      So - what are you watching right now?

    • sandman guy
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013

        I'm watching yuyushiki and Aiura on Crunchyroll.

        I find them enjoyable fun.

        I also bought Rose of Versailles.

        Brings back memories of watching it Saturday morning when I was a kid.

        That's what I'm watching.

        Marc M.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • iatheia
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
          Not much in terms of yuri this season, unfortunately. Perhaps Rozen Maiden will deliver eventually? Still a pretty good season overall.

          Genshiken Nidaime is pretty awesome, actually. It is a slice of life set in a weird club, but things they do isn't supposed to be moe, it what actually happens in the anime/manga clubs. For the most part, familiarity with the original series isn't needed, as most of the cast and main characters in particular are new. And it features a wholesome crossdresser who isn't doing it because someone forced it onto him/her.

          Silver Spoon. It is by the person who made FMA, so I had high hopes for it and it doesn't disappoint so far. As someone who has always been a city person, I can only sympathize with the main character about being forced to be engaged in a country setting.

          And Free is a fujoshi bait, but it is a fun fujoshi bait that doesn't take itself too seriously. There isn't that much pain-angst-woeing that the genre is so commonly fond of. And the ability of the main character to begin stripping even at a mention of water is quite legendary already. Plus the art is very pretty, and that ending.

          Everything is from Crunchyroll. They are this close to actually simulcasting every single show that is coming out right now.

          > Hi all! It's summer, and I'm a typical geek. When the weather gets too sunny and bright, I hunker down on the sofa and watch anime. ^_^ With so much available streaming legally and on DVD, I don't feel like I miss much these days. Here's what I'm watching:
          >
          > Rose of Versailles - from Nozomi/RightStuf
          >
          > I'd forgotten how hard a watch this series is. I can only take an episode or two at a time. Oscar and Rosalie, swoon.
          > French Revolution felt wholly unreal to me the first time I watched, but it's hitting closer to home this time - way too many feels.
          >
          > Serial Experiments Lain - from Funimation
          >
          > Really? Wow, I remember this when. Now The Wired seems like my every day. Lain's modifications on her computer are goofy (giant hanging hoses?) and it's creepier than I remembered. Good stuff.
          >
          > Dangan Ronpa - from Funimation
          >
          > I don't know what to say about this. It's a horror/gore game turned into an anime with some really lazy/smart visuals and Ogata Megumi as the nebbishy hero. I don't care what happens, I'm watching hoping she'll scream. ^_^
          >
          > So - what are you watching right now?

        • Pachy
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
            I've sampled all the first episodes of different anime series this season I was interested in checking out, but I don't normally watch streaming anime episode by episode anymore. I generally prefer waiting until I can marathon the entire series in one go.

            So currently, I just finally ordered the 'Black Rock Shooter' series from Amazon UK (I have a region-free player), so I'm looking forward to checking out what seems to be a one-of-a-kind series.

            Later on, I'll be revisiting 'Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing' on Blu-ray and checking out 'Michiko and Hatchin' for the first time later on when Funimation releases them.

            With the new 'Ghost in the Shell' series coming out, I intend to revisit 'Stand Alone Complex' and 'Solid State Society' at some point. I'm also following Sentai's rerelease of 'Patlabor,' and I want to try watching 'Steins; Gate' before Otakon comes up.

            --Pachy

            > Hi all! It's summer, and I'm a typical geek. When the weather gets too sunny and bright, I hunker down on the sofa and watch anime. ^_^ With so much available streaming legally and on DVD, I don't feel like I miss much these days. Here's what I'm watching:
            >
            > Rose of Versailles - from Nozomi/RightStuf
            >
            > I'd forgotten how hard a watch this series is. I can only take an episode or two at a time. Oscar and Rosalie, swoon.
            > French Revolution felt wholly unreal to me the first time I watched, but it's hitting closer to home this time - way too many feels.
            >
            > Serial Experiments Lain - from Funimation
            >
            > Really? Wow, I remember this when. Now The Wired seems like my every day. Lain's modifications on her computer are goofy (giant hanging hoses?) and it's creepier than I remembered. Good stuff.
            >
            > Dangan Ronpa - from Funimation
            >
            > I don't know what to say about this. It's a horror/gore game turned into an anime with some really lazy/smart visuals and Ogata Megumi as the nebbishy hero. I don't care what happens, I'm watching hoping she'll scream. ^_^
            >
            > So - what are you watching right now?

          • mara_papimer
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
              What am I not watching right now... It feels like I am watching so much more this season than I usually do.

              Streaming on Crunchy Roll:

              Free:
              Nothing special yet but as a swimmer myself it is nice to see an anime where being able to swim is expected. Never seen so much detail in animating men taking their shirts off. This show is brilliant for fantastically shallow reasons despite being abut swimming.

              The Eccentric Family:
              When I saw the second episode and found out that the mother character spends her time cross dressing as a 'prince character' with a fantastically deep voice I knew I had to keep watching this. A brilliant love letter/advertisement for Kyoto too, very accurate geography.

              Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA:
              Sad that apart from the movies we won't be getting any new Nanoha anime? Then watch this, it is Nanoha if Nanoha did not take itself seriously, at all. Colour could really use a revamp though, makes some of the characters look really weird.

              Genshiken Second Season:
              Obligatory. Got to get it out of the way might as well do so now.

              KINMOZA!:
              Not very good but as a UK citizen it is nice to see some Japanese anglophilia beyond being the magic capital of the world. Only problem is the supposedly British characters speak English with a definite American accent. Ughhh.

              Funimation:

              Railgun S:
              Watched the first season? Then you should watch this season, it is just as good perhaps the definitive version of the sisters story arc.

              Dangan Ronpa:
              Seiji Kishi continues to take my favorite games and turn them into extremely sup par manga. Dangan Ronpa was a fantastic mystery game with incredibly memorable and fun characters that the anime skims over rather brutally. The third episode takes aspects of the game and uses them in a gimmicky and unimaginative fashion.

              D-R the game had a strength that it allowed you to accept the way it contorted itself into creating such a clandestine closed circle allowing for fantastic mystery and tension. The anime sadly leaves us with just a story that sadly was never made to stand entirely on its own.

              Still must watch this so I can do all the annoying fan complaining I have done for the last two adaptations Seiji Kishi has directed.

              > So - what are you watching right now?

            • Katie
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 23, 2013
                I'm also watching Dangan Ronpa (which I call Doggone Ron Paul!) .

                Attack on Titan continues to be pretty good, and I'm FINALLY watching Madoka.

                --Katie
              • Lyn
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 24, 2013
                  What's "furjoshi" bait? This summer I'm watching my way through "Saiyuki." Zero yuri but classic series.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 27, 2013
                    "Fujoshi" (or fujyoshi) are female otaku who like to watch anime with unrealistic pretty boy...like Free! or Saiyuki. ^_^ I have a bunch of such terms gathered together on my Okazu Glossary: http://okazu.yuricon.com/glossary/ TV Tropes also has a nice list: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeFanSpeak

                    But fan language changes all the time, so when you run into a word you don't know searching online for it can turn up some interesting stuff, since it might be newish...or oldish. ^_^

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 29, 2013
                      Thanks for the refresher. It's been a while since I came across the term, obviously. And I'm guessing it's a lot easier to find explanations of manga-related terms on the Internet now than even five years ago.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 30, 2013
                        Getting information on ever-changing sang is always a challenge. ^_^ That's why I wrote the Okazu Glossary.

                        If anyone is interested in words used by Japanese fandom - where they come from, what they mean, whats hot right now, there is a wonderful blog on the topic: Japanese words of anime fans, by anime fans, for anime fans: Japanese words of anime fans, by anime fans, for anime fans http://bangin.wordpress.com/

                        The blogger, Bangin, is also an avid cosplayer, so you'll see a lot of posts about his cosplay too. Don't let that surprise you or put you off. He write essays about the words being used right now by Japanese fandom. It's a fantastic glimpse into an ever-changing language. ^_^