Erica is a woman with an opinion on the Internet...again

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2013
      Tangential to our interests, I was published in Slate Magazine yesterday. This is my response to the question "Why Is Having a Rational Opinion Against Gay Marriage Considered "Homophobia"?

      http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/04/25/can_you_have_a_rational_opinion_against_gay_marriage_and_not_be_homophobic.html

      2100+ comments so far and about 2000 of them are crazyballs. ^_^ Don't read the comments, it'll only make you sad.

    • mara_papimer
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2013
        I saw that article this morning as was impressed and agreed with the content so much I decided not to comment because I thought I would just be adding to the multitude of excessive agreement.

        Apparently I was wrong so I'll just add it here:

        Read your article, very much agree. Congratulations on being published in Slate Magazine. This is a direct reflection of the effort and wisdom that went into the articles creation.

        > Tangential to our interests, I was published in Slate Magazine yesterday. This is my response to the question "Why Is Having a Rational Opinion Against Gay Marriage Considered "Homophobia"?
        >
        > http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/04/25/can_you_have_a_rational_opinion_against_gay_marriage_and_not_be_homophobic.html
        >
        > 2100+ comments so far and about 2000 of them are crazyballs. ^_^ Don't read the comments, it'll only make you sad.

      • Rinu Cz
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 26, 2013
          Hi,

          Ouch, reading these comments feels almost like reading any discussion about games and how to portray non-objectified women in them. In the end, I always feel good because a percentage of rational and vocal people is rapidly increasing in recent years. Just compare year 2013 and 2005.

          Cheers,
          Rinu

          2013/4/26 mara_papimer <in_the_name_of_union7@...>
          I saw that article this morning as was impressed and agreed with the content so much I decided not to comment because I thought I would just be adding to the multitude of excessive agreement.

          Apparently I was wrong so I'll just add it here:

          Read your article, very much agree. Congratulations on being published in Slate Magazine. This is a direct reflection of the effort and wisdom that went into the articles creation.

          > Tangential to our interests, I was published in Slate Magazine yesterday. This is my response to the question "Why Is Having a Rational Opinion Against Gay Marriage Considered "Homophobia"?
          >
          > http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/04/25/can_you_have_a_rational_opinion_against_gay_marriage_and_not_be_homophobic.html
          >
          > 2100+ comments so far and about 2000 of them are crazyballs. ^_^ Don't read the comments, it'll only make you sad.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
              Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 26, 2013
            Excessive agreement. ^_ You're funny. In any case, thanks very much. ^_^

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 26, 2013
              Yeah, the folks with no "skin in the game" always seem to be the loudest. ^_^ This is true for everything. Gaming, civil rights, money, health. "I don't need it, so STFU about it" is always the majority opinion.

              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Rinu Cz <rinucz@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Ouch, reading these comments feels almost like reading any discussion about
              > games and how to portray non-objectified women in them. In the end, I
              > always feel good because a percentage of rational and vocal people is
              > rapidly increasing in recent years. Just compare year 2013 and 2005.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Rinu
              >

              > 2013/4/26 mara_papimer <in_the_name_of_union7@...>
              >
              > > I saw that article this morning as was impressed and agreed with the
              > > content so much I decided not to comment because I thought I would just be
              > > adding to the multitude of excessive agreement.
              > >
              > > Apparently I was wrong so I'll just add it here:
              > >
              > > Read your article, very much agree. Congratulations on being published in
              > > Slate Magazine. This is a direct reflection of the effort and wisdom that
              > > went into the articles creation.
              > >
              > > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "EricaF" <anilesbocon01@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Tangential to our interests, I was published in Slate Magazine
              > > yesterday. This is my response to the question "Why Is Having a Rational
              > > Opinion Against Gay Marriage Considered "Homophobia"?
              > > >

              > > http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/04/25/can_you_have_a_rational_opinion_against_gay_marriage_and_not_be_homophobic.html
              > > >
              > > > 2100+ comments so far and about 2000 of them are crazyballs. ^_^ Don't
              > > read the comments, it'll only make you sad.
              > > >
              > > > Cheers,
              > > >
              > > > Erica

            • The Silver Ranger
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 26, 2013
                Let me just put it to you this way.  The more failed "straight" marraiges I see (Anthony Weiner, John and Kate Gosselin, John Edwards, Elliot Spitzer), the more I support gay marraige.

              • yoni-1@empathosnation.org
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 26, 2013

                  I tried to send this this morning and it didn't seem to go through.  So, I'm trying again.

                  My apologies if it shows up twice.

                  Charuko

                  On April 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM "yoni-1@..." <yoni-1@...> wrote:

                  If you're willing to wade through it, I believe the most brilliant arguments in favor of marriage equality come from the Brief of Amici Curiae Kenneth B. Mehlman Et Al. Supporting Respondents filed with the Supreme Court http://www.afer.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/12-144-bsac-Kenneth-B.-Mehlman-et-al.pdf.  The respondents are all Republicans, by the way.

                  Erica, you simply summed up the Amicus Brief in your article in Slate. We need more people, like you, speaking out.

                  In the legal sense, facts trump beliefs.  Rationale must be supportable with significant evidence.  A religious belief is simply that, a belief, even with a book like the Bible supporting it (which is itself a series of beliefs with very little physical evidence to back it up).  It's fine to believe something.  I'm Shinto and I believe in the existence of kami, but I'm also a scientist, and as such, I may believe that I have the guidance of Okamisama, but in a scientific study the physical evidence alone influences my findings, and I don't give reference to Okamisama when reporting those findings.

                  The law is supposed to (and most often does) work in just the same informed way.  When it doesn't, then we have to look at the flaws in the system and the people operating within it to see where it failed.  Even science has it flawed studies with erroneous interpretation of the data.  The difference is that science and the law admit their mistakes.  Beliefs are harder to change.

                  Erica, thank you for your wonderful article.

                  Charuko

                  On April 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM EricaF <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

                  Yeah, the folks with no "skin in the game" always seem to be the loudest. ^_^ This is true for everything. Gaming, civil rights, money, health. "I don't need it, so STFU about it" is always the majority opinion.

                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Rinu Cz <rinucz@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Ouch, reading these comments feels almost like reading any discussion about
                  > games and how to portray non-objectified women in them. In the end, I
                  > always feel good because a percentage of rational and vocal people is
                  > rapidly increasing in recent years. Just compare year 2013 and 2005.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Rinu
                  >

                  > 2013/4/26 mara_papimer <in_the_name_of_union7@...>
                  >
                  > > I saw that article this morning as was impressed and agreed with the
                  > > content so much I decided not to comment because I thought I would just be
                  > > adding to the multitude of excessive agreement.
                  > >
                  > > Apparently I was wrong so I'll just add it here:
                  > >
                  > > Read your article, very much agree. Congratulations on being published in
                  > > Slate Magazine. This is a direct reflection of the effort and wisdom that
                  > > went into the articles creation.
                  > >
                  > > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "EricaF" <anilesbocon01@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Tangential to our interests, I was published in Slate Magazine
                  > > yesterday. This is my response to the question "Why Is Having a Rational
                  > > Opinion Against Gay Marriage Considered "Homophobia"?
                  > > >

                  > > http://www.slate.com/blogs/quora/2013/04/25/can_you_have_a_rational_opinion_against_gay_marriage_and_not_be_homophobic.html
                  > > >
                  > > > 2100+ comments so far and about 2000 of them are crazyballs. ^_^ Don't
                  > > read the comments, it'll only make you sad.
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers,
                  > > >
                  > > > Erica

                  中町茶流子
                  Nakamachi Charuko

                  Mrs. Cheryl J.Mason-Middleton
                  http://www.linkedin.com/in/nakamachicharuko

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
                    Thanks for your kind words.

                    I'm pretty fascinated by the comments. Many of them don't understand the Quora Q&A thing and they don't get that my post is a response to, not a defense of the title. ^_^;