Uiharu Kazari is even more amazing in the novels

  • mara_papimer
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2013
      In preparation for Railgun season two arriving soon I thought I would just mention some events that only occur in the Index series that make Uiharu so crazy amazing I hope their is some anime only episodes to illustrate this side of her to the Railgun only audience.

      In volume 15 of the Index novels Uiharu is approached by Kakine Teitoku (my favorite character) who asks her to give up someone under her protection to him. When Uiharu refuses Kakine goes from 'disgustingly stylish' to outright menacing. Kakine dislocates Uiharu's shoulder and tortures her by stamping down on it.

      In the face of this disgusting cruelty Uiharu simply says:

      'That child is in a place you will never find' and then she sticks her tongue out at Kakine.

      My Japanese skills are poor but the scene really sets it that this is a Bad Day for Uiharu and despite all this she is totally resolute. Uiharu came of as damn tough in this volume however brief her appearance was.

      Don't worry this is Index after all so noting more happens to Uiharu as she is saved in the nick of time by Accelerator.

      Now we all know from Railgun that Uiharu is a master of fictional hacking. In a short story collection from the point of view of a hacker trying to break into the secure network of 'the gatekeeper' a supremely powerful administrator we learn that not only is Uiharu the almost mythical 'gatekeeper' but her skill makes the Judgement's Office where she works has stronger defenses than the databanks that hold all of Academy City's data.

      Indeed her system is ranked as one of the 10 most secure in Academy City.

      Ignoring Mikoto it really does seem only Uiharu's achievements in Index equal her achievements in Railgun. Kuroko and Ruiko have both had whole books to themselves and they were great so I can not help but wonder how intense a possible Uiharu book would be.

      So I am not trying to evangelize the Index books or anything but I hope these add something to Uiharu's character for those that have not read though the books considering Railgun 2 arriving soon.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2013
        Thank you for these, as I've had little exposure to Index. In the manga, at least, the 'Sisters' arc is almost exclusively about Mikoto, but previews of the anime make it plain that everyone will at least get an appearance. ^_^