Re: [Yuricon] jmanga.com closing down in May

  • Adam Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
      On 14-Mar-2013 07:35 +0000, toddashi wrote:

      > http://www.jmanga.com/urgent_message
      >
      > I am sad to see it going away. Anyone recommend some alternatives? :(

      Very frustrating. Apparently Dark Horse, Yen Press, Kodansha and Viz
      have digital services, but I fear those of us outside the US are now
      back to grey-market imports of dead trees as our best option.

      (Trying to confirm this, but my web access is limited right now;
      apparently "can I use your app outside the US" isn't an FAQ. I hope
      fervently to be corrected in my pessimism.)
      .oO("WE UPDATE EVRY TIME" )
    • Rinu Cz
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
        Unfortunately I haven't had any chance to use that website because of
        absence of debit card support. Given that credit cards are way less
        common than debit cards in many European countries, I suspect I wasn't
        only one. Thus nothing changes here.

        I wish people working for JManga well, though.

        Rinu

        2013/3/14 Adam Jones <adam@...>:
        > On 14-Mar-2013 07:35 +0000, toddashi wrote:
        >
        >> http://www.jmanga.com/urgent_message
        >>
        >> I am sad to see it going away. Anyone recommend some alternatives? :(
        >
        > Very frustrating. Apparently Dark Horse, Yen Press, Kodansha and Viz
        > have digital services, but I fear those of us outside the US are now
        > back to grey-market imports of dead trees as our best option.
        >
        > (Trying to confirm this, but my web access is limited right now;
        > apparently "can I use your app outside the US" isn't an FAQ. I hope
        > fervently to be corrected in my pessimism.)
        > --
        > Adam Jones (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
        > .oO("WE UPDATE EVRY TIME" )

      • Johann Chua
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
          On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Adam Jones <adam@...> wrote:

          On 14-Mar-2013 07:35 +0000, toddashi wrote:

          > http://www.jmanga.com/urgent_message
          >
          > I am sad to see it going away. Anyone recommend some alternatives? :(

          Very frustrating. Apparently Dark Horse, Yen Press, Kodansha and Viz
          have digital services, but I fear those of us outside the US are now
          back to grey-market imports of dead trees as our best option.

          I'm in the Philippines and can use the Dark Horse Digital website and Android app, though I've only downloaded free issues. Not much manga available yet.

          Can't use the Viz app. Haven't tried Yen Press's yet.
        • Adam Jones
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
            On 14-Mar-2013 19:14 +0800, Johann Chua wrote:

            > I'm in the Philippines and can use the Dark Horse Digital website and
            > Android app, though I've only downloaded free issues. Not much manga
            > available yet.
            >
            > Can't use the Viz app. Haven't tried Yen Press's yet.

            Useful information - thanks. emanga.com looks as though it may sell
            DRM-free epub and cbz files, which is pretty much an ideal method to my
            mind, but at first glance they seem to have a BL/yaoi focus. Definitely
            bears further investigation, though.
            .oO("BECAUSE THE DRIVERS AREN'T INSTALLED" )
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
              If you can manage a little Japanese, I'd also recommend Tsubomi's Wec Comic site: http://tsu-bo-mi.jp/webcomic/ and for really obscure manga, JComi: http://www.j-comi.jp/