jmanga.com closing down in May

  • toddashi
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
      Sadly, it looks like jmanga.com is going away on May 30. So if you want to use up your points and view more manga, better get started.

      http://www.jmanga.com/urgent_message

      I am sad to see it going away. Anyone recommend some alternatives? :(

      Todd
    • Adam Jones
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
        On 14-Mar-2013 07:35 +0000, toddashi wrote:

        > http://www.jmanga.com/urgent_message
        >
        > I am sad to see it going away. Anyone recommend some alternatives? :(

        Very frustrating. Apparently Dark Horse, Yen Press, Kodansha and Viz
        have digital services, but I fear those of us outside the US are now
        back to grey-market imports of dead trees as our best option.

        (Trying to confirm this, but my web access is limited right now;
        apparently "can I use your app outside the US" isn't an FAQ. I hope
        fervently to be corrected in my pessimism.)
        .oO("WE UPDATE EVRY TIME" )
      • Rinu Cz
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
          Unfortunately I haven't had any chance to use that website because of
          absence of debit card support. Given that credit cards are way less
          common than debit cards in many European countries, I suspect I wasn't
          only one. Thus nothing changes here.

          I wish people working for JManga well, though.

          Rinu

          2013/3/14 Adam Jones <adam@...>:
          > On 14-Mar-2013 07:35 +0000, toddashi wrote:
          >
          >> http://www.jmanga.com/urgent_message
          >>
          >> I am sad to see it going away. Anyone recommend some alternatives? :(
          >
          > Very frustrating. Apparently Dark Horse, Yen Press, Kodansha and Viz
          > have digital services, but I fear those of us outside the US are now
          > back to grey-market imports of dead trees as our best option.
          >
          > (Trying to confirm this, but my web access is limited right now;
          > apparently "can I use your app outside the US" isn't an FAQ. I hope
          > fervently to be corrected in my pessimism.)
          > --
          > Adam Jones (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
          > .oO("WE UPDATE EVRY TIME" )

        • Johann Chua
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
            On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Adam Jones <adam@...> wrote:

            On 14-Mar-2013 07:35 +0000, toddashi wrote:

            > http://www.jmanga.com/urgent_message
            >
            > I am sad to see it going away. Anyone recommend some alternatives? :(

            Very frustrating. Apparently Dark Horse, Yen Press, Kodansha and Viz
            have digital services, but I fear those of us outside the US are now
            back to grey-market imports of dead trees as our best option.

            I'm in the Philippines and can use the Dark Horse Digital website and Android app, though I've only downloaded free issues. Not much manga available yet.

            Can't use the Viz app. Haven't tried Yen Press's yet.
          • Adam Jones
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
              On 14-Mar-2013 19:14 +0800, Johann Chua wrote:

              > I'm in the Philippines and can use the Dark Horse Digital website and
              > Android app, though I've only downloaded free issues. Not much manga
              > available yet.
              >
              > Can't use the Viz app. Haven't tried Yen Press's yet.

              Useful information - thanks. emanga.com looks as though it may sell
              DRM-free epub and cbz files, which is pretty much an ideal method to my
              mind, but at first glance they seem to have a BL/yaoi focus. Definitely
              bears further investigation, though.
              .oO("BECAUSE THE DRIVERS AREN'T INSTALLED" )
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14, 2013
                If you can manage a little Japanese, I'd also recommend Tsubomi's Wec Comic site: http://tsu-bo-mi.jp/webcomic/ and for really obscure manga, JComi: http://www.j-comi.jp/