Re: [Yuricon] Sweet Blue Flowers, Episode 1 by RightStuf on YouTube

  • Adam Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2013
      On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 22:58:14 -0000, "EricaF"
      <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to Shannon Luchies for finding this preview episode of
      > RightStuf's release of "Sweet Blue Flowers"! ^_^
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLKVa4hv4FM&feature=youtu.be

      Needless to say, it's region-locked. Sigh. (Probably not Nozomi/RS's
      choice, I realise, but frustrating nonetheless.)

      Still, at least the region lock on the DVDs is easily ignored. Hope
      mine turn up soon. :)
      .oO("store you mail in you own area" )
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2013
        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Adam Jones wrote:

        > Needless to say, it's region-locked. Sigh. (Probably not Nozomi/RS's
        > choice, I realise, but frustrating nonetheless.)

        Not their choice at all. The Japanese companies are still firmly locked in a 1978 worldview. It's an unfortunate reality and they can't really dictate terms to the IP rights holders.

        Manga publishers are, slowly, thinking bigger than county borders, but the anime companies have a long way to go.

        The good news is that crowdsourced funding like Production IG's Kick-heart Kickstarter give me hope that at least some change can happens. They're shipping the DVD worldwide with subs in at least two languages.

        For the moment, however, I think it would be sensible to always assume that if a US company licenses an anime then region-blocking applies, because that is how the JP companies want it.