Re: When does our purchase count the most?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
      Quick follow up to my comment from yesterday.

      Today on Twitter Ed Chavez from Vertical Publishing said this: "obviously stores are influenced by demand, which is why *preorders are what matter the most* for projects like this" (emphasis mine)

      As I said, your order counts most as a Pre-order. High pre-order demand means higher stock order and longer shelf life of a book.

      This is a hideous relic of a previous age of book/comic selling, but it is a publisher's reality. If there are no pre-orders, no one will ever see the book on the shelf as a walk-in. If you want a book, pre-ordering it means that you'll make it easier for someone who has never heard of that book to randomly find it on the shelf. But there is no way for you, an interested party, to not pre-order it, then be sure of finding it on the shelf when you want it to be there.

      For publishers it's pre-order or die.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
        To see another publisher other than me explaining all the same stuff, check out Ed's thread here: https://twitter.com/Vertical_Ed/status/288347408948133888

      • mara_papimer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
          Wow. Thank you for such a extensive answer. This genuinely will at the very least change how I order books in the future, the only down side is that I do most of my ordering online and from a bookstore that has no physical shop anymore.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
            You are most welcome.

            I also do almost all of my ordering online. The only local Barnes & Noble is useless for ordering. They don't do it well, or at all.

            Ed's whole feed today was full of eye-opening numbers.

            Cheers,Erica

            Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu.blogspot.com "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldshaking.net