Re: Special Post on Okazu about "Query Letters"

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2012
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mandy_girl_78" <mandygirl78@...> wrote:

      > Can you give an educated guess in terms of percentage that your query will be accepted? I have no plans of doing query writing, and I prefer the Web Comics, Deviant Art way, but I'm curious.

      Yes, about 99% of Query Letters are rejected. Many of them are not even read.

      Famously writer Theodore Sturgeon is credited with the creation of "Sturgeon's Law" which reads "ninety percent of everything is crap." I think if you talk to anyone who works in a non-qualitative career, you'll find that that number is actually much higher.

      In my experience, it's not even that it's crap, but that most of what I see doesn't even make it as far as being crap. Most of what people think is a plot is a plot idea, most of what people think of as a character is a tagline. Very few people think things through, and of those few, even fewer read the instructions and think it applies to them. Most folks - especially young folks who has not read or watched widely - think they are creative geniuses. And smart people are often hampered by the quite sincere belief that any idea they have is wholly unique and worldshaking. It never occurs to them to look and see if anyone has done that already. If they do, it almost always turns out that someone has and actually carried it through.

      I realize this seems harsh, but it's reality. If you want to be a published writer/musician.artist, you're competing with 6 billion other people who think they are great writers/musicians/artists.

      Deviant Art and Pixiv are good honing tools and halfway good springboards. But they don't provide a clear path to becoming a professional. That's where the creative cliff is right now. You either risk a lot and try to sell yourself to a company or risk everything and do it all yourself.