[OT]Thoughts about Streaming

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2012
      Just a few thoughts here...

      In the past, I have voiced my impatience with the current model of anime streaming sites like Crunchyroll and Funimation, concerning their treatment of viewers outside of United States and Canada. Series like Wandering Son, Sasameki Koto, Fist of the North Star, Galaxy Express 999 etc. being unavailable to viewers outside of the US because of licensing.

      As a thought, I would, if I could, like to make a website specifically for streaming older anime, or anime that European Crunchyroll users can't watch without a US proxy, translated into European languages, for the sake of older fans in France or Germany who remember stuff like this.

      How difficult would it be to get this going? To pick up the slack in Europe that these anime streaming sites give, and to give more anime truly worldwide exposure?
    • mara_papimer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 15, 2012
        In the UK there is another streaming site that does pick up the slack: http://www.anime-on-demand.com/

        They have a very different price structure and what you get is different. Everyone can watch the first few episodes of a series but then you have to pay to watch the rest as they come out. They are also really cheap. A year only costs £34.99, that is less than a pound a week.

        Only downside is that it is in the UK were it seems that the idea of not paying for anime is more stubborn. I am amazed that there is no-one in Europe that is trying a similar thing to anime on demand even in individual countries. Odd because anime has been around in Europe in some fashion for just as long as the English world, some of the first dubbed anime I ever saw was in Portuguese.