Re: [Yuricon] Is 2012 a Good Year for Yuri?

  • Grisznak
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2012
      When they'll make new versions of Utena or Onisama E, then I'll call such year "good". Or maybe some anime that can be compared with those.
      As for 2012... I can't see any stunning yuri title that appeared this year. Some fanservice in some tiles, that's all, I guess. Is it enough to call year a good? I don't think so. All in all, it's just half of the year, so maybe next half bring something really impressive (like next series of Maria Sama Ga Miteru?). Well, time will tell.

      cheers

      Grisznak

      2012/7/9 Lyn <lynmarenjensen@...>

      Are even years such as this one good years for yuri? It seemed that way when I was at Anime Expo. For some reason I noticed a lot of yuri in comparison to the yaoi.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2012
        I think 2012 has been excellent. Bodacious Space Pirates was stellar - and Yuri. Aoi Hana was licensed, A new Sailor Moon anime was announced, Utena was released.

        JManga released a pile of Yuri manga, Seven Seas is printing Girl Friends, and ALC Publishing is working on an Omnibus of Rica Takashima's work.

        So far, I think 2012 is quite good at this 1/2way point. ^_^

        > 2012/7/9 Lyn <lynmarenjensen@...>
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Are even years such as this one good years for yuri? It seemed that way
        > > when I was at Anime Expo. For some reason I noticed a lot of yuri in
        > > comparison to the yaoi.

      • Lyn
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 11, 2012
          If I remember, Erica, you have this rule of thumb: even years (such as this year, 2012) are good for yuri, odd ones (like next year, 2013) are good for yaoi. Did I get that right?

          Even if I got it backwards, I found myself thinking while roaming Anime Expo, "Not as much yaoi this year as sometimes, but more yuri than I've ever seen before!" I'll have to see if Comic Con's the same way.

          By the way, are any site members going to Comic Con this weekend?

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 11, 2012
            It's not a rule of thumb, it's just the way the last few years have worked out.  ^_^

            > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
            > From: lynmarenjensen@...
            > Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:31:38 +0000
            > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Is 2012 a Good Year for Yuri?
            >
            > If I remember, Erica, you have this rule of thumb: even years (such as this year, 2012) are good for yuri, odd ones (like next year, 2013) are good for yaoi. Did I get that right?
            >
            > Even if I got it backwards, I found myself thinking while roaming Anime Expo, "Not as much yaoi this year as sometimes, but more yuri than I've ever seen before!" I'll have to see if Comic Con's the same way.
            >
            > By the way, are any site members going to Comic Con this weekend?
            >
            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "EricaF" <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I think 2012 has been excellent. Bodacious Space Pirates was stellar - and Yuri. Aoi Hana was licensed, A new Sailor Moon anime was announced, Utena was released.
            > >
            > > JManga released a pile of Yuri manga, Seven Seas is printing Girl Friends, and ALC Publishing is working on an Omnibus of Rica Takashima's work.
            > >
            > > So far, I think 2012 is quite good at this 1/2way point. ^_^
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > >
            > > Erica

            > <*> Your email settings:
            > Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            > <*> To change settings online go to:
            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            > <*> To change settings via email:
            > Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
            > Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Lyn
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 12, 2012
              Well, I got it right about this year being an even year, meaning good for yuri. Maybe I ought to mark my calender: 2013, look for more yaoi, 2014, look for more yuri.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 17, 2012
                --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Lyn" <lynmarenjensen@...> wrote:

                > Well, I got it right about this year being an even year, meaning good for yuri. Maybe I ought to mark my calender: 2013, look for more yaoi, 2014, look for more yuri.

                Not that this is important, but it's been odd-numbered year that have been good for Yuri since 2003. It's just that this year happens to be even-numbered, which I take to mean that all years from now on will be good for Yuri. ^_^

              • Lyn
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 18, 2012
                  I have the same response for you and Delicious Vodka DeBlair:

                  If it's the odd-numbered years that are good for yuri, and the even-numbered years for yaoi, then I guess we need to look at what's happened ins 2012 that's good for yaoi: although VIZ launched its new yaoi line SbBLime in Dec. most of its activity has been in 2012 w/ both print and e-versions. DMP continues its high level of yaoi activity, Yen's "Black Butler" is a mainstream hit, and Media Blasters may also have some fresh activity before the year's out.

                  Erica already summed up in an earlier post the good things that have happened in yuri this year. So if this year has been a good year for yuri so far, and odd-numbered years are best for yuri, then 2013 must be going to be splendid!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 18, 2012
                    We don't really track what years are good for BL, since that's not really on-topic here.

                    You're making a lot of what was merely a notation about a trend over the past 10 years. It's not a rule, or even a guideline, just something that happened from 2003-2011.

                    Cheers,Erica