Recommendations of indie/obscure/unknown comics you want people to know about

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2012
      Hi all -

      I just had the pleasure of obtaining and reading a number of less well-known comics and I enjoyed about half of them. ^_^;

      It occurred to me that we have folks from all over the world here and we all probably read a lot of things that aren't necessarily Yuri.

      So, if you're reading something - webcomic, print, digital - and you think people here might like it, let us know what it is, where we can find it (if possible) and why we might like it.

      My discovery for the week was "Rosie and Jacinda" - it's a very straight story, so don't look for romance between the girls - a darling comic by a UK team. They have a video trailer here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56y_DS7dpes) and you can buy the comic on their Etsy shop here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/85542113/rosie-and-jacinda

      The story is very typically high schoolish, you'll recognize all the elements of every high school manga ever. ^_^ But it was still completely enjoyable.

      Your turn - what comic made you stand up and applaud recently?

    • boo_time
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2012
        My absolute favorite webcomic is 'Gunnerkrigg Court' (http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index2.php). The first volumes are also available on Comixology, which makes my tablet and I very very happy! Not a yuri comic (though there are very subtle elements here and there), but it's a wonderful story with a strong focus on various mythologies and such. And the characters explore the differences, conflicts, and sometimes mingling between the mythological/magic side and the science/tech/human side.

        A yuri/lesbian comic that I've been enjoying recently is 'Go Get a Roomie' (http://www.gogetaroomie.com/). Mostly just a fluffy, humour comic focusing on a hippie lesbian who loves everyone and sleeps with a lot of women. And then there's Lillian who wants nothing to do with sex or going outside and would rather sleep and dream. It's light-hearted and the art is really cute and the artist does a lot of random yuri-focused fan art.

        For comics, all I can say is that people should go find Terry Moore's stuff on Comixology (or in print!). His latest work, 'Rachel Rising', is soooo creepy! *shudders* I love it! And his art makes me happy. :) I grew up with 'Strangers in Paradise'. Ahhh, Katchoo and Francine. So much angst, but so pretty...

        -Mandy
      • Todd Allis
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 29, 2012
          I have just discovered the web comic Spinnerette. It's funny and has
          character development, and looks like there will be some yuri too... I'm
          not done catching up yet. :)

          First comic:
          http://www.spinnyverse.com/2010/02/09/20100209/

          Todd

          On Fri, 29 Jun 2012, EricaF wrote:

          > So, if you're reading something - webcomic, print, digital - and you think people here might like it, let us know what it is, where we can find it (if possible) and why we might like it.
        • mara_papimer
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2012
            Firstly Fruit Machine:

            http://fruitmachine.smackjeeves.com/comics/1133462/fruit-machine-coming-04-04-2011/

            High in drama, high in screen tone this is a nice version of a 'love at first sight' story done with a protagonist who is actually narcissistic enough to fall in love strait away convincingly. Also available in Print.

            Mephistos:

            http://www.etsy.com/shop/naniiebim

            Or really anything by naniiebim, I saw these in a shop bought the first one and then was immediately hooked. Although the story itself is simple it is told without any hand holding and with a marvelous sense of pace that holds and releases tension very well. Is also gorgeous which is not bad either.
          • mara_papimer
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
              ALSO.

              Steel Fist Riku by Jyutaroh Nishino

              Released in English by the now long shut down CMX imprint this is a not all that serious martial arts comedy about Riku who has the unusual ability to turn her arm as hard as steel.

              Worth finding if you can as it is only 3 volumes long and is genuinely funny in places.

              My main reason for bringing this series up is the protagonist Riku is a wonderful example of a main character for this genre. Mostly playing the strait man but never in a way that is a downer or that saps the energy of a scene and possesses genuine charisma that is works both in and out of the story.

              Also as part of a story in volume two she wears a suit very well.^^

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2012
                When I only had about one or two comics to bring up I could generally suppress the thought of 'well those are the inappropriate ones' but now that I have found three two with definite yuri and one with yuri subtext I must ask what are the regulations for posting links to comics that are definitely Not Safe For Work?

                I know I at least have linked to some over 18 stuff in this list but I must make sure so no-one gets offended or caught off guard or anything considering the subject matter of... I'm gonna say two of them.