What are we watching? Spring 2012 edition

    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2012
      It's been an unprecendented year for us Yuri lovers, which series of all kinds to appeal to just about anyone.

      I'm watching:

      Jormungand: No surprise here, crazy, violent women, and some Yuri seasoning thrown in for fun.

      Bodacious Space Pirates: I was enjoying the heck out of this anyway, then it went all Yuri on us. Jenny x Lyn FTW. But even aside from this, such a very, very fun series. Classic space opera + pirate-y stuff.

      Saki Achiga-hen: After getting used to the lack of service in BSP, I had to get re-used to the slacious, lingering gaze at breasts, thighs and skirt hems of Saki. But once I remembered how to tune that all out, it went back to being a silly, enjoyable anime series about a game I'll never care about. ^_^

      Fate/Zero - I don't care what the plot is actually about. I know why *I'm* watching this series. ^_^ Saber and Irisviel make a nice couple.

      Smile Precure- Not as fantastic as Heartcatch and not even as good as Suite, but there's some fun elements.

      OZMA - Wrapped up quickly, which was good, as the underlying theme was weak, but it was really nice to see Matsumoto Leiji's work again.

      Revolutionary Girl Utena - Still working on the Apocalypse arc. Slowly, so I can savor every detail.

      To-watch: Dear Brother on Viki.com It's been, gosh, ten, fifteen years since I first saw it? It'll be interesting to get back into really intense shoujo drama.

      This is a good season for me, I don't think I've watched this much in ages.

      How about you? What are you watching?

    • Pachy
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2012
        Bodacious Space Pirates--am I the only one who thinks Gruelle Serenity looks a little 'Sailor Moon'-ish?

        Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean--I've seen and liked the first series, so why not?

        Fate/Zero--enough said, really

        Jormungand--looks crazy enough to be fun

        Kids on the Slope--this being Shinichiro Watanabe's first series in a long while being my main hook

        Occult Academy--haven't started yet, but I did just get NIS America's blu ray set in the mail

        Come to think of it, this is a lot of titles for me too. Normally on average I have about three shows to follow at one time. Guess that means this is a pretty good season this time.
        --Pachy
      • Ellen Kuhfeld

          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2012
            Fate/Zero-
            I am too much of a type-moon fan for my opinion to be worth anything but I will say that while I personally don't see yuri in this the writer of the light novel was Gen Urobuchi. Urobuchi also wrote the story for Puella Magi Madoka Magica that also seems to have a big yuri fandom. Perhaps this is a theme he puts into his stories to relieve all the horrible cynicism.

            Medaka Box--
            Another adaptation that I am watching purely because I have enjoyed the writers other work. This time it is Nisio Isin. Don't see much to recommend about this though. Even the addition of a character who spends most of his time topless or in a loose Judo-gi does not draw me in.

            Last Exile--
            Stalled in this five episodes before the end. Will finish soon and move on to Bodacious Space Pirates. Still great fun.

            Jormungand--
            Never before has an adaptation been exactly equal quality to its source material. What I mean there is that watching the Jormungand anime is as enjoyable as reading the Jormungand manga.

            Fate/Zero season 1 blu-ray--
            Actually just finished this just as season 2 came out. Some info for those who might want it:
            There is an extended montage in ep3 with extra dialogue between Saber and Irisviel and additional shots of Saber in her suit.
            Although we can now see all of Ryunosuke's attempts at art we do not see the human umbrella or the human pipe organ that the light-novel and the manga had.
            There are 3 special shorts 'Einzbern Consultation Room' that star Irisviel in a unique outfit and a young Taiga Fujimura. Funny in their own right but a lot of in-jokes for fans of the whole series.
            Finally in the booklet a short message from Takashi Takeuchi, co-founder of type-moon, where he says that Caster and Ryunosuke- "...ought to just get married already."

            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Pachy" <pachy_boy@...> wrote:

            > Bodacious Space Pirates--am I the only one who thinks Gruelle Serenity looks a little 'Sailor Moon'-ish?
            >
            > Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean--I've seen and liked the first series, so why not?
            >
            > Fate/Zero--enough said, really
            >
            > Jormungand--looks crazy enough to be fun
            >
            > Kids on the Slope--this being Shinichiro Watanabe's first series in a long while being my main hook
            >
            > Occult Academy--haven't started yet, but I did just get NIS America's blu ray set in the mail
            >
            > Come to think of it, this is a lot of titles for me too. Normally on average I have about three shows to follow at one time. Guess that means this is a pretty good season this time.
            > --Pachy

          • Grisznak
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2012
              Saint Seiya Omega - because Saint Seiya was, along with Sailor Moon, one of my first anime, so I still have big sentiment for that.
              Queen's Blade: Rebellion - dozens of fanservice, yuri as well, but not as good as previous series.
              Fate/Zero - because of Saber/Iris LOL. I just like anime with good plot, well written characters and all. This is simply good anime.
              AKB0048 - nice graphic and lot of yuri potential. It's hard to say something after just one episode, but stilll
              Lupin III: Woman named Mine Fujiko - well, definitely, most yuri opening in this season, but also awesome graphic. One of the best series of this year so far.

              cheers
              Grisznak

              2012/5/7 mara_papimer <in_the_name_of_union7@...>

              Fate/Zero-
              I am too much of a type-moon fan for my opinion to be worth anything but I will say that while I personally don't see yuri in this the writer of the light novel was Gen Urobuchi. Urobuchi also wrote the story for Puella Magi Madoka Magica that also seems to have a big yuri fandom. Perhaps this is a theme he puts into his stories to relieve all the horrible cynicism.

              Medaka Box--
              Another adaptation that I am watching purely because I have enjoyed the writers other work. This time it is Nisio Isin. Don't see much to recommend about this though. Even the addition of a character who spends most of his time topless or in a loose Judo-gi does not draw me in.

              Last Exile--
              Stalled in this five episodes before the end. Will finish soon and move on to Bodacious Space Pirates. Still great fun.

              Jormungand--
              Never before has an adaptation been exactly equal quality to its source material. What I mean there is that watching the Jormungand anime is as enjoyable as reading the Jormungand manga.

              Fate/Zero season 1 blu-ray--
              Actually just finished this just as season 2 came out. Some info for those who might want it:
              There is an extended montage in ep3 with extra dialogue between Saber and Irisviel and additional shots of Saber in her suit.
              Although we can now see all of Ryunosuke's attempts at art we do not see the human umbrella or the human pipe organ that the light-novel and the manga had.
              There are 3 special shorts 'Einzbern Consultation Room' that star Irisviel in a unique outfit and a young Taiga Fujimura. Funny in their own right but a lot of in-jokes for fans of the whole series.
              Finally in the booklet a short message from Takashi Takeuchi, co-founder of type-moon, where he says that Caster and Ryunosuke- "...ought to just get married already."

              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Pachy" <pachy_boy@...> wrote:

              > Bodacious Space Pirates--am I the only one who thinks Gruelle Serenity looks a little 'Sailor Moon'-ish?
              >
              > Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean--I've seen and liked the first series, so why not?
              >
              > Fate/Zero--enough said, really
              >
              > Jormungand--looks crazy enough to be fun
              >
              > Kids on the Slope--this being Shinichiro Watanabe's first series in a long while being my main hook
              >
              > Occult Academy--haven't started yet, but I did just get NIS America's blu ray set in the mail
              >
              > Come to think of it, this is a lot of titles for me too. Normally on average I have about three shows to follow at one time. Guess that means this is a pretty good season this time.
              > --Pachy

            • tregingigan
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7, 2012
                Mh, there are several of these shows which are not available here, yet. Among the spring series I can watch, I'd say my favourite ones are:

                On Crunchyroll
                Nyarko san-Another crawling chaos – Ok, it isn't exactly a masterpiece, just to put it mildly, but it's surely better than average in it's genre. 30 minutes of light hearted enjoyment a week with some yuri inside.

                Shirokumakun cafe- I's so sweet and relaxed!

                On national television
                Madoka magika- Best majokko anime, since in ten years or so IMHO. Oh, this is a spring anime for me, at least, since last episode was broadcasted 2 weeks ago.

                Rob
              • Lyn
                Message 7 of 11 , May 7, 2012
                  I've been more into anime this year than in previous years: Vampire Knight, Kizuna, Loveless, Gakuen Heaven.

                  There's a sex shop near where I live that sells X-rated anime, but no yaoi or yuri. I plan to go in there w/ paper and pen someday, write down the titles, and see if I can find anything more about them.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8, 2012
                    The only X-rated yuri titles that I know are "Sono Hanabira..." and "Shoujo Sect". AFAIK none of them was ever licensed.
                    cheers
                    Grisznak

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8, 2012
                      Oh? Interesting.

                      My I ask where, this place that has "Madoka magika" on TV, is?

                      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "tregingigan" <coronet@...> wrote:

                      > Mh, there are several of these shows which are not available here, yet. Among the spring series I can watch, I'd say my favourite ones are:
                      >
                      > On Crunchyroll
                      > Nyarko san-Another crawling chaos – Ok, it isn't exactly a masterpiece, just to put it mildly, but it's surely better than average in it's genre. 30 minutes of light hearted enjoyment a week with some yuri inside.
                      >
                      > Shirokumakun cafe- I's so sweet and relaxed!
                      >
                      > On national television
                      > Madoka magika- Best majokko anime, since in ten years or so IMHO. Oh, this is a spring anime for me, at least, since last episode was broadcasted 2 weeks ago.
                      >
                      > Rob

                    • coronet
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 9, 2012
                        Italy. The channel is RAI4. It’s one of the state-run channels. They usually broadcast 2-3 anime series a season. And usually better stuff than the kiddies shows infest commercial channels. You know, gazillions of pokemon-like anime. Anyway, this time, along with Madoka magika there was “Ano hi mita hana no namae etc.”. That one too, was pretty good.
                                                                                                                                                                                                       Rob

                        Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 12:50 AM
                        Subject: [SPAM] [Yuricon] Re: What are we watching? Spring 2012 edition

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 12, 2012
                          Nice. Good to hear positive news coming from Italy.

                          On a state-run channel you say? I find that impressive (although for the shallow reason that it would never happen in my country).